Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Formula Vee project car impulse purchase
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Formula Vee project car impulse purchase Reply with quote

Just make sure that you use the early, 40 horse heads if sticking to the rules. The later 1300/1500/1600 heads with the angled intake will not jive.

John Moxon wrote:
halfassleatherworks wrote:
for just playing you can autocross a V

...and run it at Bonneville.

This sounds like an absolute blast. Maybe even run a 36 horse twin carb in a Vee? Cool

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Formula Vee project car impulse purchase Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Just make sure that you use the early, 40 horse heads if sticking to the rules. The later 1300/1500/1600 heads with the angled intake will not jive.

John Moxon wrote:
halfassleatherworks wrote:
for just playing you can autocross a V

...and run it at Bonneville.

This sounds like an absolute blast. Maybe even run a 36 horse twin carb in a Vee? Cool

There's a class for everything at Bonneville, it's on "Justification's" doorstep in Utah and one to tell your grandkids about. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Justification
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Formula Vee project car impulse purchase Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

There's a class for everything at Bonneville, it's on "Justification's" doorstep in Utah and one to tell your grandkids about. Wink

Johns right, it's about 90 miles away. It's gonna be scary enough trying out our assembly of this pile of parts on a track. Trusting my fabrication skills Full out on a straight away at max speed (okay it'll only be about 100 MPH max, but 10 inches off the ground) might be heart stopping.

One step forward, two steps back.
Got the Haynes and Chilton manual and the John Muir book, but no real good pictures of my next step and that's figuring out how the Steering box actually attaches. because the front beam attaches to the new frame different than stock, and the fact the steering wheel will be in the center of the car, with the steering box in it's "Stock" off center location it's gonna take some "redneck engineering" and fabrication to mount it.

Bob's VW is going to be an oasis in the desert of salvage parts around here, but he is lightly stocked right now.
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Formula Vee project car impulse purchase Reply with quote

F/Vee's mount the steering box in the center of the beam. Equal length tie rods.

100 MPH by yourself is nothing. Try going that speed into turn 1 at Lime Rock with 35 cars around you in a open wheel car. That is "pucker time"! I did it for 8 years for fun. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Justification
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Formula Vee project car impulse purchase Reply with quote

Tom_Kathleen wrote:
F/Vee's mount the steering box in the center of the beam. Equal length tie rods.

Tom

I am so screwing this thing up badly. blindly buying parts, only to find out I'm doing it all wrong.
WHere would I find these equal length tie rods? part numbers? Pictures would be very helpful.

Tom you have been very helpful in trying to guide me, but with the limited collection of parts I have, my extremely limited knowledge of VWs (none), and no local Formula Vee racing, this project looks destined to failure.
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Formula Vee project car impulse purchase Reply with quote

The tie rods were just chrome moly tubing with Heim joints on the ends. The spindle connection was just a straight thru hole, no taper. Just keep asking questions and you will get answers. You should also do a lot of searching on google for F/Vee pictures with the body off the car.
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Formula Vee project car impulse purchase Reply with quote

Justification wrote:
Tom_Kathleen wrote:

Tom

I am so screwing this thing up badly. blindly buying parts, only to find out I'm doing it all wrong.
WHere would I find these equal length tie rods? part numbers? Pictures would be very helpful.

Tom you have been very helpful in trying to guide me, but with the limited collection of parts I have, my extremely limited knowledge of VWs (none), and no local Formula Vee racing, this project looks destined to failure.
................................................................................................................well come to formula vee . i to like you had a dream to build a formula vee race car .first off i bought a very old bobsy formula vee . from the 1960s after i got it home . i looked it over .and saw how unsafe it was . after seeing how the new formula vees are built today . yes they have vintage formula vee races for old formula vee race cars . so i looked at what it would cost to build a 40 hp motor that would maybe run with the big guys . that spend up wards of from $6,000 and as high as $8,000 for a motor .after talking to guys that raced 40hp motors.. after that .i sat down and thought of a old drag racer saying how fast do you want to go how much money do you want to spend . so i restored the bobsy as a show car my way .and had a lot of fun building it. i had two differnt motors in it . i won best of show at a big vw show .i was going to drag race it and race it on a road track for best times . never got to do it .thats ok if i was you. i would .find out how much money it cost to race a formula vee car for a year .then find out how much money its going to cost you to build your formula vee race car fuel cell tires are not cheap was there a body with the frame ? if not that can cost a lot of money .i just want you to know what your getting into
good luck my friend spencerfvee
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: