Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Soft top frame pivot bushings
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:36 am    Post subject: Soft top frame pivot bushings Reply with quote

I've had this idea for a long time to have a bushing that keeps the hoop and the rest of the frame together during top removal. Not sure if any body makes something like this already. Didn't see one on TTS.

Enjoy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by av8shunmeckaneck on Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft top frame pivot bushings Reply with quote

Question I don't know if I understand what you are talking about but mine doesn't come apart. The parts are supposed to stay together aren't they? It is a real nice piece you made I guess to replace the "factory" piece?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft top frame pivot bushings Reply with quote

Pivot Pin?

https://www.thethingshop.com/TOP-FRAME-PIVOT-PIN/productinfo/181871PIN/
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft top frame pivot bushings Reply with quote

My pins just behind the rear doors are spot welded to the tab. Are they supposed to be welded to the frame? I could see if they were welded to the main portion of the top frame, pointing inward, the tension of the hoop could hold it on the pins.

el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Soft top frame pivot bushings Reply with quote

av8shunmeckaneck wrote:
I've had this idea for a long time to have a bushing that keeps the hoop and the rest of the frame together during top removal. Not sure if any body makes something like this already. Didn't see one on TTS.

Enjoy.

Hi Great idea!
Did you make your own?
Quite often the parts of the top frame are bent and it will be then easy to work on them Cool
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft top frame pivot bushings Reply with quote

My pivot pins were spot welded in as well. I had to use a cutoff wheel to remove them. I then drilled a few small holes in back of the replacement pins (in the flat back part) for welding them back on.
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft top frame pivot bushings Reply with quote

interesting idea. Never really paid attention but I have bolts on mine, no pin.
I haven't removed the top that often but may start when I have the hardtop ready to go.
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft top frame pivot bushings Reply with quote

el_safari wrote:
Hi Great idea!
Did you make your own?
Quite often the parts of the top frame are bent and it will be then easy to work on them Cool[/quote]

Yes, I made these myself.

-kenj06,

I too don't take the top off very often, but when I do, its a massive pain with the hoop flopping about. Its usually to transport plywood or long/large items.

P.S.< Last night I put the top back on myself and it wasn't too bad.
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft top frame pivot bushings Reply with quote

How much extra exertion do you have to apply to "stretch" the frame over the pins? The frame is already prone to bends and weaknesses (cracking). I like the design. Also, do you have to drill out the frame to accept the new bushing (adding further weakness)? When I remove my top (cue the innuendos), I put a "zip tie" to keep the frame parts from going all dangerously floppy. A little R&D and some QC field testing...I'm following...
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft top frame pivot bushings Reply with quote

Nice! I like it
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft top frame pivot bushings Reply with quote

Rev. Scott wrote:
How much extra exertion do you have to apply to "stretch" the frame over the pins? The frame is already prone to bends and weaknesses (cracking). I like the design. Also, do you have to drill out the frame to accept the new bushing (adding further weakness)? When I remove my top (cue the innuendos), I put a "zip tie" to keep the frame parts from going all dangerously floppy. A little R&D and some QC field testing...I'm following...

Nothing extraneous to expand the frame over the pins. My frame sits on the pins without squeezing them or trying to spread open.

Still not clear if the pins are supposed to be welded in or not but in any case it works better to have them welded in.
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Soft top frame pivot bushings Reply with quote

av8shunmeckaneck wrote:
Still not clear if the pins are supposed to be welded in or not but in any case it works better to have them welded in.

My top attachment pins are welded on, and as I recall they were permanent on the '73 that I had new.

BNMike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: