Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

subaru had (has?) updated pistions/rings for these.

i almost did this on a 230k bottom end i was going to use for a project. anyway...adding up all the parts...still cheaper to get a short block from subaru.

i want to say rings alone from subaru were like 400+

granted, there are alternatives. i simply will NOT use aftermarket for internals if it's available at the dealer.

since i have adapted the practice at my shop i haven't had 1 comeback for anything in 5 years.

unless it's a full out monster build, i can't bring myself to use anything but OE parts

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
scirocco_crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Have you all seen these tablet based Speedos? I wonder how well that could be incorporated in the stock dash hole. I love the gauges that Annie is getting though.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Current Build 1976 VW Bus Subaru with EZ36 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9443081#9443081
Second Current Build 1979 Porsche 911SC
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10117349#10117349
Previous Builds 78 Westy with matching trailer
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=589790&highlight=westy
78 Bay with Acura 3.2 Type S engine
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516038&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
scirocco_crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

I second the OEM angle, the engineering behind these parts are well beyond the aftermarket. With that being said there are some situations that the cost and or performance requires the aftermarket. Brakes are a perfect example. I always use OEM pads and rotors for a street car, for a monster build then oversized aftermarket are the only way to go. Just my two cents.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
subaru had (has?) updated pistions/rings for these.

i almost did this on a 230k bottom end i was going to use for a project. anyway...adding up all the parts...still cheaper to get a short block from subaru.

i want to say rings alone from subaru were like 400+

granted, there are alternatives. i simply will NOT use aftermarket for internals if it's available at the dealer.

since i have adapted the practice at my shop i haven't had 1 comeback for anything in 5 years.

unless it's a full out monster build, i can't bring myself to use anything but OE parts

Current Build 1976 VW Bus Subaru with EZ36 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9443081#9443081
Second Current Build 1979 Porsche 911SC
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10117349#10117349
Previous Builds 78 Westy with matching trailer
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=589790&highlight=westy
78 Bay with Acura 3.2 Type S engine
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516038&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

scirocco_crazy wrote:
Have you all seen these tablet based Speedos? I wonder how well that could be incorporated in the stock dash hole. I love the gauges that Annie is getting though.

I briefly looked at using tablet-based gauges. I had two qualms with this setup:
1. Tablets have significant glare when in direct sunlight, an issue that I'm sure could be mitigated with a proper screen protector/filter/shield. Not to mention, thieves would love to rip it out of my dash down here in Miami.
2. Reliability. While I know that there are some members running without gauges and only relying on the BlueDriver app to provide live OBDII data, there is no substitute for mechanical gauges and idiot lights. I still plan to run my app in the background.

Build update: I had some time to reflect over the holiday break and will be ditching my in-bay rad setup for a belly mount. The ONLY reason I am going this direction is timeline since I got a new job that will require relocating in the next six months. This takes my two year timeline and cuts it down to six months, so off-the-shelf is going to be the name of the game to kick the project into high gear. I am convinced that the in-bay setup can be made to work with my design. If anyone wants a deal on brand new rads and hand-forged shrouds etc etc, shoot me a PM.

In other news, my perfectionist rabbit-hole mentality took hold of me over the break as well, so I went ahead and ordered up a short block and a host of goodies to rebuild the fuel injection/vacuum system. Stay tuned for pics and a more detailed update.
Merling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Look forward to seeing the belly mount setup.
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Total Spend to-Date: $9881.85

I've been getting nickel and dimed to death these past couple of weeks as my meticulous nature has turned into a seemingly endless quest for perfection in order to clean up, repair, or replace parts that no one will ever see. The fact that the Subaru spent most of its time on salted roads has led to bloodied knuckles, snapped bolt heads, and the use of a LOT of PB-Blaster and my BFH. That said, my thorough nature paid off in spades since while media blasting the coolant bypass tube, I learned that it had two holes in it, something that wouldn't have been discovered until I tried to pull vacuum on the cooling system prior to filling it.

I've actually enjoyed tearing down the manifold since I've learned a lot about how the top end functions on these EJs.
Before:

During (fun with media blasting and powder coating):

After. All metal parts media blasted, degreased, and powder coated with satin black:

In this last pic, I was merely mocking up the intake using the old bolts and hoses. I can't imagine how anyone would put this back together without replacing all the fuel and vacuum lines with new ones. Picked up all new hoses and I went ahead and put new injector seals on as well along with new plug wires.

Tonight, I started to tear into the trans. Like everything else, I was met with resistance, but eventually got the shifter u-joint off and popped the nose cone and center diff off. Not much light in my garage-less backyard:

Somewhat unsurprisingly, I found a bunch of metal shards after pulling the nose cone:

My best guess is that these came off the inside surround of the nose cone since the gears appear to be in good shape. I will tear into it further in the coming days and report back with any significant findings. I drove the Subaru extensively prior to tear down, and didn't observe any unusual noises or problems shifting. More to come.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Wonder if you could do something like this for your throttle body ?

Link

deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Progress continues. The case teardown and subsequent build-up is an arduous process which is greatly played down on the Subarugears instructional videos in interest of time.

Checking factory backlash is within spec prior to splitting the case:

Got the pinion drive assembly disassembled:

NOTE: The new pinion does NOT slip right into the assembly as shown in the Subarugears video. It is a press-fit which since I don't have a press, required thumping it on its head on a block of wood to drive the pinion face surface into place with the gear assembly. Fantastic arm workout. I also learned the hard way that since it's not a simple slip fit, rotating the front splines to align with the Subaspool that locks the assembly together is NOT possible once you've press fit everything together. Apart it all came again. Then put it all back together.

Used my engineering straight edge to dial in the pinion depth tool and set to zero using 0.65mm combo of existing shims.

Then onward to case clearancing:

Oops. NOTE: Invest in cut-resistant gloves! My 4" grinder slipped and went 90 degrees about 1/4" into the tip of my right index finger. Super glued it back together and kept grinding. There is a LOT of material that needs to be removed from the ribbing. Trial and error and a couple hours of grinding got me just enough clearance for the ring gear with bolts installed. The pic below is before I smooth out all the grinds on the ribbing to reduce potential stress points.

Got the whole thing back together and onward to setting the zero backlash point by turning in/out the conical adjusters. There seem to be several different schools of thought on the best way to do this since in the end, it's really just a question of feel and then confirming using the yellow gear grease. If anyone wants some tips/tricks here, feel free to let me know. I spent HOURS checking, rechecking, re-rechecking. Backlash showed 0.16mm once everything was adjusted and bearing preload set so back apart it all came.

Here's the semi-final product:

I'm pretty content with the pattern as a semi-first-blush attempt (after assembling and disassembling the trans half a dozen times. I'm going to go down 0.2 on shims to put me in the 0.45 sweet range recommended by Todd at Subarugears. This probably sounds like Chinese to the uninitiated, but believe me, you will be an expert on transmissions when you are done!
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Let’s hope that the juice was worth the squeeze. Took me two weeks of an hour here or there each night and I lost count of how many times I had to pull it apart and put it back together (at least 20 times). In the end I take solace in knowing that I acquired a new skill and will have the knowledge to fix the trans if ever needed while on the road.

And my short block showed up:

Amazingly it was packaged like this and survived the trip from Washington state to Miami FL.
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Been wrenching a few minutes here and there since my last post. Got the trans buttoned up and dry fit to determine which parts to notch:

I cleaned up the cuts, epoxy primered, and reapplied body schutz after this last pic.

Then I kept rolling on the long block build-up. At this point everything finally starts going together like Legos:

I always like the way it looks before you cover up the timing belt.

Long block is done. Have to work out a couple kinks with my Tribeca alternator (ie. pulley swap from the old alt) and also modify the oil pressure sender for my Speedhut gauges since it hits the back of the alternator.

This weekend, weather permitting, I'll bolt the whole shebang together and dry fit so I can get the engine mount (stock subaru) drilled/bolted. Will also mount the fuel filter and coolant ball..basically trying to make all the necessary holes before I yank it and finish paint.
Dibaltic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Great job on that motor it looks better than new
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Glad you're still at it. Will be learning from you as I do mine.
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

I also want to complement you on the documentation and updating the spreadsheet.

I'm going to commit to my build in the next month or so and using your spreadsheet as a baseline is very helpful place to start. I'm going with the VW transmission (to start anyway). I'd like to see you drive that Southwest short-block before I commit, but I may have to take the leap....right now I'm looking for a local machine shop to restore my heads.

Thanks
Tiernay TT10 APU gas turbine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

deathman68 wrote:

2 things...

keep on cutting because you don't have room for your coolant pipes for the heater to clear.

this is a reason i despise the 5 speed...too much cutting for my liking.

and number 2....

why not a factory short block? what did that run you? and whoever rebuilt it and painted the sealing surfaces for the oil pump should have their dick put in a vise with heat applied by a torch

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Preheat the vise, Don. More effective.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deathman68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Firstly, no genital mutilation required...remind me to wear a cup if our paths ever cross Skills Shocked

The oil pump mating surface was further cleaned/degreased before installing the new OEM oil pump.

Thanks for the nice comments all. It's been a labor of love and often frustration. The short block from Sunwest runs marginally cheaper than a new short block from Subaru. There is generally no substitute for OEM with rare, limited exceptions, so I won't go down that road today. Instead, I'll tell you the two reasons why I went with Sunwest:

1. I did a LOT of reading prior to pulling the trigger on the short block. I spoke to the suppliers of all the non-OEM internals and cruised the Subaru forums ad nauseam. I spoke to Sunwest at length as well as several customers, and I got a warm fuzzy from them. Several customers told me that they have easily done 150k+ miles without incident. It will take me years to get to 150k miles, so it's not as important to me to make it to the 200k+ mark like the OEM would likely do if properly maintained.

On the other hand, when I spoke to the Subaru tech about changes in OEM piston/ring design and known issues (rod knock/bearing failure, piston skirt damage, oil burning etc etc), I did NOT get a warm fuzzy. Basically he said that Subaru continues to use two different designs in their short block internals and they have seen the occasional complaint/failure. He couldn't tell me how to identify which is which (which BTW I find hard to believe given the Kaizen approach to engine building), so that was a turn off for me.

2. Maybe I'm getting sensitive/sentimental after a year of quarantine, but I liked the idea of supporting a family run business, even if it has grown significantly in its 30+ year history. Every time I called Sunwest, I got to speak to a REAL person. Try that with Subaru. Worst case, my engine blows up and I'll have the excuse I need to build that monster STI engine that keeps calling my name. Twisted Evil

They are calling for rain this weekend, so looks like Sunday will be my best shot at fitting the engine/trans. I fully expect to be doing more notching to accommodate the already modded coolant pipe, so I've got my PPE ready. More to come..
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Been following your thread. Nice work! I did the swap last year in my 76 Westy Automatic and love it. Upgraded to an 86 Vanagon Automatic transaxle though to have the transmission cooler and installed an external cooler. I used the heater and A/C fan unit from the Subaru under the back seat and piped it through the floor and up to the front through an insulated 3" duct. I extended the wiring harness up to the front so I could use the heater controls, radio, speedometer cluster and have temp gauges on the inlet and outlet of the rad (belly set up). It was so nice hearing it start up for the first time!
DB
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

deathman68 wrote:
Every time I called Sunwest, I got to speak to a REAL person. Try that with Subaru..

i dunno. every time i call Premier Subaru and ask for Joe in parts he answers

https://www.premiersubaruwatertown.com/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=GMB&utm_campaign=Main

according to my parts guy who i've known 20 years now every subaru s/b gets all of the updates at time of manufacture. case in point are the pistons and rings are different (upgraded) on the new engines.

i am basing my info off the parts guy who i trust 100%. he took the time to help me sort the abortion that fokker100's swap became.

also my machine shop told me to go the new route vs having them rebuild the engines. these guys have probably done more subaru builds than subaru themselves

anyway i'm sure you did your homework. in the photo with the engine in the crate it looked as if the sealing surfaces were painted and in my mind if someone was that sloppy with paint how is the rest of the build. as they say...the devil is in the details. i would be PISSED removing paint from the crossover o-ring seats, oil pump surface, knock sensor surface etc...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Good discussion,
so to add comparisons/details, for me (EJ251) it's between the OEM reman, which is ~$2,000...
https://parts.busamsubaru.com/p/subaru__/REMANUFACTURED-SOHC-Short-Block/72824032/SOA478H400R1.html

or the Sunwest, which is about $1400 (inc. ship).
https://www.sunwestautoinc.com/product/subaru-ej25-short-block-2-5l-sohc-1996-2011/

I'm not sure what Sunwest's specific warranty is for a short block (haven't called them), but for Subaru reman it was 3 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Annie-other Subaru Swap - Build Thread Reply with quote

Oh, forgot to add to what Skills said about going new. They didn't have any new versions of my Impreza EJ251, but if I go with what Vee Dub Nut did and get a Forester 2.5L, then $1850 + ship for a new one, P/N 10103AB390, with only minor differences.
https://www.subarupartwholesale.com/p/Subaru__Forester/Engine-Short-Block/49223006/10103AB390.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 14

Jump to: