Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus? Reply with quote

Looks like I might be the owner of a 1973 Bus. It does not have an engine or transmission in it, but in the local classifieds there is a type 4 engine and trans out of a 1983 Vanagon for sale. Will they work in the 73 or do I need to keep looking?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus? Reply with quote

keep looking. The trans is probably a side shift which would take a lot of modification to make it work. You might want to find out whether the bus you are buying was a manual shift or an automatic.

The engine can be made to work if it is air cooled but it will be some work to convert the tin.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus? Reply with quote

if the motor was running and strong when removed, may be worth grabbing if the price is right. Some parts of the country can still find em, but pretty thin in most places.
nadodave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus? Reply with quote

Hi:

A listee alerted me to your post. I am going to have a 1976 2.0 engine for sale in a few weeks. It is presently installed in 73 bus here in Coronado, CA. It has about 45kmi on it and has good power. I plan to keep the new dual Kadrons I installed a few months ago. I happened on a core 2.0 engine and decided to have it rebuilt with powder coated parts. I am installing the engine tin now, and hope to swap engines in a week or two (along with the clutch and so forth). I will do a compression check before pulling the old engine and if you think you might be interested I can let you know what that turns up. Standby for more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus? Reply with quote

The trans is a rear shift. Not the the one where the shaft comes out the side of the case. The bus was/is a manual trans not an automatic. The engine here local is an air cooled type 4. I think I can make a decent buy on it and the trans if it will work.

NADODAVE, I am interested. So it’s a type 4 that’s been worked over I guess?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus? Reply with quote

There aren’t any bay window buses I’ve ever seen with a Vanagon engine and transmission installed. That said, there’s a whole lot I don’t know. One thing though... if it was an easy swap I think I would have seen it and I’ve seen a lot of bay window buses in my time.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus? Reply with quote

Here are a few pics of the engine and trans. I have another engine possibly but it’s missing the tins, fan, alternator, etc. so my thought was just to get this for all the missing items on the other engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus? Reply with quote

Bad investment
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus? Reply with quote

You would have a hard time sealing up the hole around the Vanagon Type 4 engine when it is installed in a Bay, plus I don't know if the Vanagon exhaust will bit between the bay frame rails. The transmission would be an absolute pain to make work, it would be easiest to have a tranny shop convert it to a nose cone shift for you as part of a general overhaul, so plan on forking over $1000 or more to make it work.

The Vanagon and Bay long blocks are similar and can be interchanged except for the exhausts. To use the Vanagon engine you would either need to find a Federal '79 exhaust or buy an entire aftermarket exhaust, there are some other work arounds, but nothing is plug and play.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus? Reply with quote

If we could buy Vanagon engine tin to install on T4 engines we would already be doing that. As far as I know, you can’t interchange anything but like I said earlier there’s a lot I don’t know
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus? Reply with quote

All Vanagon transaxles are side shift. the early models have a side shift set up through the nosecone. later models have the side shift working out of the side of the main transmission case.

the one in your pic is an early model. they are easier to convert for baywindow use. but it still requires a partial tear down. But still kind of a major job. If I recall correctly the gear stacks need to be de-cased at a minimum, to replace some of the gear selector shafts. It's only as doable as your budget. Question
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus? Reply with quote

I think it will work great as long as you can find a 1983 Vanagon to put it in. As to your 1973 bus, find another engine and trans.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
If we could buy Vanagon engine tin to install on T4 engines we would already be doing that. As far as I know, you can’t interchange anything but like I said earlier there’s a lot I don’t know

The tins and fan shroud will interchange nicely as will the clutch and flywheel, as there is little difference in the long blocks. One has to deal with the exhaust as mentioned, plus the breather which shouldn't be a big deal, and the Vanagon engine uses larger bolts for the rear engine mounts. One also needs the Bay alternator, brackets, and tin to do the swap.
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus? Reply with quote

Well that’s why I asked. No need to spend money on something that won’t work. Appreciate the expertise and advice. Maybe I’ll do something dumber and look at Subaru swap info. Thanks.
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus? Reply with quote

What about the fuel system? The fuel injection. And the front fan stuff? I found another long block but has zero tins, fan or alternator. Thinking if I can buy the vanagon motor for a decent price and source a few things off of it it may still be worth it. Found another trans instead too. 3 rib like what came out of it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus? Reply with quote

The FI system is slightly different, some components can be made to fit, the shroud is also different enough to not be useable in a bus.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus? Reply with quote

Previous answer about the transmission is mostly correct. but the gears stacks need to be put into the early intermediate plate. so you need the intermediate plate, shift rails, nose cone and hockey stick.
And about $800 labor.
the DK Vanagon trans allegedly is coveted by vanagon converters because of its 4.57/1 ring and pinion ratio.
Bay window 091's (1976-79) seem to be gobbled up by sand rail people and that makes them hard to find. They do have better ratios than the 1972-3 and 74-5 type 002's.
Pretty sure It is possible to put bell housings and input shaft from 1976-79 box on any earlier 002 and make it work. But ratios are lower for the 1600 engine. Gears are strong enough, I think. Buying a 1976-79 bus without a gearbox is challenging.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus? Reply with quote

Am I the only one seeing a big pile of dreck?
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

It has low compression on 2 cylinders. Lots of parts if you don't have an engine, tho. Also, $500 or best offer.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Engine/trans compatible with 1973 Bus? Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Abscate wrote:

It has low compression on 2 cylinders. Lots of parts if you don't have an engine, tho. Also, $500 or best offer.

That’s a bit steep. I would take $250 to haul it away.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: