Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
fxr wrote:

I'm not sure where you get 11 days from...

will you be running your heater in August?

Up in the mountains - certainly!
Quote:

to each their own.

Agreed. If the 280's weren't a similar price to the 150's (that currently seem unobtainable) I wouldn't have bothered, but like climbing Everest - 'It's because it's there'. Wink
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat Reply with quote

Why stop at 280?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001316676700.html...5392%23804

Now we just need a few pioneering souls to buy these at the higher price so the price starts dropping to where us regular folk can afford them.

4x4 build
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/volkswagen-vanagon-4x4-conversion.162055/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
VanMan2009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat Reply with quote

Hey everyone - I've been lurking these LiFePo4 / lithium threads, quietly planning my own battery project and have a couple of questions for the knowledgeable Very Happy

I thought I knew what I wanted to do, but seeing this thread has my mind almost changed - you can't beat the price for that much storage. How approachable is this setup is for a battery noob like me? I've followed all these lithium threads and have an idea of the components I need, but I've never 'built' a battery before. This is the main reason I was just going to go with a Renogy 174ah under the rear bench - it's pretty plug and play at least in terms of the battery + BMS.

But ordering these cells instead would give me a setup that's like 1/4 of the price which means being able to do more van projects this spring. I just don't know what I'm getting myself in for lol. I know no one can tell me if I can or can't do it, but generally looking for opinions on whether this would be a dumb idea for a first timer. I'm pretty capable and try to DIY most of my own projects, but I've never done anything like this and don't want to blow myself up, or more importantly, my westy haha.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat Reply with quote

VanMan2009 wrote:
Hey everyone - I've been lurking these LiFePo4 / lithium threads, quietly planning my own battery project and have a couple of questions for the knowledgeable Very Happy

I thought I knew what I wanted to do, but seeing this thread has my mind almost changed - you can't beat the price for that much storage. How approachable is this setup is for a battery noob like me? I've followed all these lithium threads and have an idea of the components I need, but I've never 'built' a battery before. This is the main reason I was just going to go with a Renogy 174ah under the rear bench - it's pretty plug and play at least in terms of the battery + BMS.

But ordering these cells instead would give me a setup that's like 1/4 of the price which means being able to do more van projects this spring. I just don't know what I'm getting myself in for lol. I know no one can tell me if I can or can't do it, but generally looking for opinions on whether this would be a dumb idea for a first timer. I'm pretty capable and try to DIY most of my own projects, but I've never done anything like this and don't want to blow myself up, or more importantly, my westy haha.

Well I've never built a battery before either. But I am pretty handy and there is enough good info on the internet and here that I think I can do it. If you know which way to wire up 12V accessories I bet you could do it too.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat Reply with quote

I'm helping a friends with his 280ah setup. I believe he has a bad cell.

I top balanced these cells myself from 40% to 100%. Under load we're seeing a delta of .5v voltages on one cell. We're hoping to discharge the cell down to 20% then try to top balance again.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat Reply with quote

I'm another that's never built a battery before - but I'm quite happy with electrics and electronics, so it's only the mechanical considerations that need extra brain energy from me.

As long as extreme care is taken not to short out any cells or combination of them, then it should be plain sailing. Nothing ventured, nothing gained etc...
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I'm helping a friends with his 280ah setup. I believe he has a bad cell.

I top balanced these cells myself from 40% to 100%. Under load we're seeing a delta of .5v voltages on one cell. We're hoping to discharge the cell down to 20% then try to top balance again.

Hell, that ain't good. As a point of reference, since top balance I get about 0.006 max delta at a 25A load on my 280AH EVEs. That's at about 90% SOC, including after sitting for a few weeks. I imagine it'd be slightly bigger towards the edges of the curve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VanMan2009
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Nothing ventured, nothing gained etc...

Indeed. I went ahead and ordered the cells last night - got a notification this morning they've already shipped! Hopefully I'm on the shorter end of the 20-38 days delivery window they say, but I have plenty to research / learn in the meantime!

What's everyone using to top balance the cells?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat Reply with quote

VanMan2009 wrote:

Indeed. I went ahead and ordered the cells last night - got a notification this morning they've already shipped! Hopefully I'm on the shorter end of the 20-38 days delivery window they say, but I have plenty to research / learn in the meantime!

Hate to burst your bubble - but I was given a Fedex tracking number the day I ordered the cells (Dec. 1st) and still haven't received it.

The way it works is basically they will generate your US tracking number (coming from CA most likely) ahead of time. Probably so you can't cancel the order. Once the CA warehouse gets the big shipment in they will then redistribute using US tracking number.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat Reply with quote

VanMan2009 wrote:

I bought this one in preparation for the cells arriving:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M9N73YQ

Seems to work just fine. There's a multi-turn pot inside for calibration of each of voltage and current in case it doesn't agree with other trusted devices. It's found other uses already. Smile
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat Reply with quote

Fitted a 130A Tribeca alternator (thanks for the link Sodo) in anticipation of more current being needed than the rather anaemic EJ22 one could give. For the time being the sense wire is connected back to the output, but eventually it'll come from the DCC50S.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Fitted a 130A Tribeca alternator (thanks for the link Sodo) in anticipation of more current being needed than the rather anaemic EJ22 one could give. For the time being the sense wire is connected back to the output, but eventually it'll come from the DCC50S.

Do you have any pics/writeup on the installation? Anything to be concerned about?

I have an EJ25 from an Impreza (with the corresponding alternator), is the Tribeca alternator a much better one?

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat Reply with quote

Tribeca alternator is 130Amps.
Its a bolt-on mod.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Tribeca alternator has a one-rib wider belt.
You could put the pulley from your (110A?) alternator on the 130A if you want.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat Reply with quote

Why the need to go from a 110A to 130A alternator?

The Western Syncro build
gtinseth Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

Because if you don't have a DC to DC charger, the LiFePO4 battery will take as much current as the alternator can give and more. 0.5C is 140 amps for the 280ah pack and 0.5C is easily doable for most of these cells. Even 0.2C is almost 60 amps.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat Reply with quote

gtinseth wrote:
dobryan wrote:

Because if you don't have a DC to DC charger, the LiFePO4 battery will take as much current as the alternator can give and more. 0.5C is 140 amps for the 280ah pack and 0.5C is easily doable for most of these cells. Even 0.2C is almost 60 amps.

True that. But why would you charge a LIFePo4 battery directly off an alternator? The DC/DC charger will give the correct charge profile and the alternator direct charge will not.

The Western Syncro build
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

My alternator was rated at 75A apparently - that had to be replaced! If it had been 110A I wouldn't have bothered.

I was fitting the 130A one onto an EJ22 - this required some filing of both the alternator body and the top of the clamping pillar to fit. It misses the intake structure by 2mm - but it does fit!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat Reply with quote

Got it. That makes sense. Very Happy

The Western Syncro build
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat Reply with quote

I just checked the specs for my rig. The SVX engine came with a 95 amp alternator. I have decided to use 200Ah CALB cells (because they are locally available and I am impatient) and the REDARC BCDC 1240D dual input dc to dc charge controller. I will use the Overkill Solar BMS for this battery (good reviews and nice Bluetooth State Of Charge infotainment).

Question: Can anyone comment on whether this 95 amp alternator will be adequate?

Obviously, the other draws will have a large influence, especially the rad fan and blower fan draws when my AC is on, but I am adding a sail switch for the rad fan to shut down the AC trigger for the rad fanwhen on the highway. BTW, the factory VW radiator-switched fan control will not be affected by the sail switch and will operate as stock. I have no big-ass audio system and I do have a TF-65 fridge.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 280Ah LiFePo4 under driver's seat Reply with quote

What are the specs on that DC DC charger? They usually have an upper limit on amps they can charge at.

The Western Syncro build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: