Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery cut of off switch?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Battery cut of off switch? Reply with quote

Funny, this thread reminded me that i had one of these to go in.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1708934

I can say that it fits the Type3 with a bit of modification.
You'll have to be willing to grind away some of the embossed ribs in the kick panel.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm planning to pick up a couple of ring tongues off of the battery cable and run it to a Molex plug up thru the little gap between the tunnel and kick.
It will make a little pigtail that i can keep tucked under the carpet when the car is being driven.
I have the same mod done to a little trickle 'battery maintainer' to match, with a Molex plug, so you can just plug the charger in.
This is common with motorcycles.

The disconnect with the screw knob like Martin has, I have one on my bus.
Not a fan because they sometimes don't disconnect and sit there still making contact. BTDT.

That said, all of this is a band-aid for a discharge situation.
Fix the discharge problem; It will come back and bite you in the ass.

I speak from experience on that one.. Rolling Eyes

What's That Noise??
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery cut of off switch? Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Funny, this thread reminded me that i had one of these to go in.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1708934

I can say that it fits the Type3 with a bit of modification.
You'll have to be willing to grind away some of the embossed ribs in the kick panel.

I'm planning to pick up a couple of ring tongues off of the battery cable and run it to a Molex plug up thru the little gap between the tunnel and kick.
It will make a little pigtail that i can keep tucked under the carpet when the car is being driven.
I have the same mod done to a little trickle 'battery maintainer' to match, with a Molex plug, so you can just plug the charger in.
This is common with motorcycles.

The disconnect with the screw knob like Martin has, I have one on my bus.
Not a fan because they sometimes don't disconnect and sit there still making contact. BTDT.

That said, all of this is a band-aid for a discharge situation.
Fix the discharge problem; It will come back and bite you in the ass.

I speak from experience on that one.. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the input! I already caused more harm then good trying to sort out the issues! 😣
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery cut of off switch? Reply with quote

bad1916 wrote:
Absolutely. I have had a few customers cars that have had them and they work really well and are definitely easier than constantly removing the cable off the post, especially when the battery is under the seat. In a customers car we were getting a large spark but could see it until after we removed that.

Thanks for the feedback! 👍
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roadbeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Battery cut of off switch? Reply with quote

Here's a couple of better pictures of the battery terminals and the disconnect switch and how I wired them up. Battery is currently dead, and an alternator conversion is in store for this winter.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: