Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 148, 149, 150
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Let me know it you need a hand with any of that. I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms with my Ghia on the other side of the the Tasman Sea.

Nicholas
"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."(Salvador Dali)
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Hey there, nice to see more people using these fender liners, I think they really protect in the long run. Especially for those tight gaps where muck gets to stick, even if you mostly drive in nice weather. Like headlight buckets and the top of the fresh air channels.
Yours look nicely „integrated“ did you paint them after installing? You also painted the rubber lips along the edges? If yes, doesn't the paint crack on the rubber?

Because mine is a 72, I have to modify mine, as the bumper brackets are somewhat in the way….. Could I have some warmth from your side of the planet? We are freezing here, no fun…… Mad

Regards
Vlad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Vladiiiii wrote:
Hey there, nice to see more people using these fender liners, I think they really protect in the long run. Especially for those tight gaps where muck gets to stick, even if you mostly drive in nice weather. Like headlight buckets and the top of the fresh air channels.
Yours look nicely „integrated“ did you paint them after installing? You also painted the rubber lips along the edges? If yes, doesn't the paint crack on the rubber?

Because mine is a 72, I have to modify mine, as the bumper brackets are somewhat in the way….. Could I have some warmth from your side of the planet? We are freezing here, no fun…… :x

Regards
Vlad

Hi Vlad, yes, the protection is pretty complete. I painted the liners as well as the rubber lips. I first used a paintable seam sealer along the edges and waited for that to dry before I did the painting. The sealer I have comes in ivory colour, which is close to my car's Lotus White anyway. The way I see it, I can repaint the Lokari liner any time I want when it needs a touch-up or even a complete repaint. I saw no cracking on the rubber. (I shouldn't complain about the heat, I know.)
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Let me know it you need a hand with any of that. I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms with my Ghia on the other side of the the Tasman Sea.

Nicholas

We'll have to make a plan then, my friend. This Sunday. A nice drive and coffee somewhere, and count that as service to our Ghias.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
I took the opportunity to re-install my wheels... I had to do a bit of machining to get the caps to fit over the dust caps on the front axle.
Looking good! Applause
Sounds familiar; I used a Dremel to cut the flared lip off the dust caps and to shorten the Allen head screws that secure the center caps.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
I took the opportunity to re-install my wheels... I had to do a bit of machining to get the caps to fit over the dust caps on the front axle.
Looking good! =D>
Sounds familiar; I used a Dremel to cut the flared lip off the dust caps and to shorten the Allen head screws that secure the center caps.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had 2 problems with the dust caps, Charley. I had a new dust cap fitted recently but its diameter is greater than that of the original, which I had to re-install. And I had to shorten those pesky little Allen head screws, like you, using my Dremel and its cutting wheel. I got away without having to machine the dust cap. I'm not an engineer or even technically minded, but it gives me great satisfaction to defeat these problems one at a time. All the best for 2021.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 148, 149, 150
Jump to:
Page 150 of 150

Jump to: