Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pre-heat tube to left stale air heater box
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EODTECH*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Pre-heat tube to left stale air heater box Reply with quote

How does the preheat tube connect to this style heater box? Or does it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TIA
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-heat tube to left stale air heater box Reply with quote

Weird, that looks like a bastard 40 horse style.
You need one like this:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EODTECH*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-heat tube to left stale air heater box Reply with quote

House wrote:
Weird, that looks like a bastard 40 horse style.
You need one like this:

Damn it. I knew as soon as they showed up from WW...something didn't look right. Is there a way...to modify this is?
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-heat tube to left stale air heater box Reply with quote

How good at welding are you? Laughing
There may be an easier way. Hope somebody will chime in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EODTECH*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-heat tube to left stale air heater box Reply with quote

I'm not a welder. But my tech that works on my Typ 1 is exc. Is there a solution?
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Pre-heat tube to left stale air heater box Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with a 40 hp engine but the 1966 1300 engine did not get the preheat air directly from the heater box until mid year. I'm guessing that earlier engine also did not get the preheat air directly from the heater box. Early 1300 engines got the preheat from air that cooled the cylinders on the left side. The picture I found shows the location of the pipe that draws the warmed air in (before the muffler is installed). I believe that the part is installed AFTER the muffler has been put on the exhaust studs. There will also be a hole in the lower cylinder tin that allows the tube to pass through.

More info here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726839&highlight=preheat+tube
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Pre-heat tube to left stale air heater box Reply with quote

VW left stale air heater box without preheat = 111 255 101A
VW left stale air heater box with preheat = 113 255 101A

NOS VW 113 255 101A

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
EODTECH*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Pre-heat tube to left stale air heater box Reply with quote

Thanks. Short back story. The car was 100% OE when I bought it. Virtually nothing major had been changed out engine/exhaust-wise. All OE tins in the engine bay. And the tin at the rear HAS the opening and grommet for the preheat tube to fit thru.

I did not notice during the restoration, exactly which style new heater boxes were installed. (I'll look today.) But according to the restoration/purchase records the NON-nippled box was installed on the left side. Argh.

Short of replacing that entire heater box with a new one WITH the required nipple...I was wondering if it's just a matter of boring a hole in the box...welding on the nipple and attaching the preheat tube.

Anybody even done that? Or heard of that being done?
EODTECH*
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Pre-heat tube to left stale air heater box Reply with quote

h~moto wrote:
I'm not familiar with a 40 hp engine but the 1966 1300 engine did not get the preheat air directly from the heater box until mid year. I'm guessing that earlier engine also did not get the preheat air directly from the heater box. Early 1300 engines got the preheat from air that cooled the cylinders on the left side. The picture I found shows the location of the pipe that draws the warmed air in (before the muffler is installed). I believe that the part is installed AFTER the muffler has been put on the exhaust studs. There will also be a hole in the lower cylinder tin that allows the tube to pass through.

More info here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726839&highlight=preheat+tube

Yup. That hole in the tin on the lower left side is there...complete w/factory installed grommet as is unbelievably still in exc useable shape...after 58 years. I lucked out. The 4 PO's before me took really good care of the vehicle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: