Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window Regulator Problem with New Replacement..! Includes blood!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrEnglishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Window Regulator Problem with New Replacement..! Includes blood! Reply with quote

First off, I've read at least 40 regulator posts here on the Samba and none answered my question (other than don't buy new!)

Anyway, 78 VW bus. Bought a new left drivers window regulator and it's a nightmare to get in. The bus has cut me more than once and you can see blood in the pics..! My question is......will this ever fit....or am I doing something wrong? The old one fits back perfectly and so I know how it fits. The new one will not stay underneath that lip or anything close to it. Do I need to ply back the metal lip on the bus to get the regulator deeper into the inner skin of the door, or am I trying to get a square peg into a round hole...?

Don't worry.....it was less than a pint lost of the red stuff......replacing with Guinness ..!!!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note toothpics in holes to line up left side of regulator.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator Problem with New Replacement..! Includes blood! Reply with quote

i will open.
why did you by new?
MrEnglishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator Problem with New Replacement..! Includes blood! Reply with quote

Good question. Two reasons.....when I bought back in Nov....no used left sides were available....secondly, more importantly, some people on here have had success with new. The place where I got my new ones had sold many and all the feedback was all positive. If I'd have found used I'd have bought used. Please don't post links to Samba ads, cause I know there are some on here now.
The question is......is my new one junk....or am I doing something wrong? If it's junk....I'll find a used one.
OK.....time for another Guinness..!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator Problem with New Replacement..! Includes blood! Reply with quote

I got a used left side one and only lost a wee bit of skin, but then I have fingers that I cannot lay out flat.
I think it depends on hand size.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator Problem with New Replacement..! Includes blood! Reply with quote

it should fit fine. they are made out of toilet paper and bend easily.

the blue tube is just a guide to let the regulator cable go somewhere when the window is all the way down (or is it up, can't remember)

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
MrEnglishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator Problem with New Replacement..! Includes blood! Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
it should fit fine. they are made out of toilet paper and bend easily.

the blue tube is just a guide to let the regulator cable go somewhere when the window is all the way down (or is it up, can't remember)

It cant be bent. If the left side where the window bolts on, is bolted correctly....the winder handle part is way off.....and the top forward part of the regulator will not sit under that lip.....it comes up too high. If I tuck the regulator under the lip......then it can't be bolted because the holes don't line up. I do have an original one....but it's literally 5,000 miles away.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator Problem with New Replacement..! Includes blood! Reply with quote

MrEnglishman wrote:
the top forward part of the regulator will not sit under that lip.....it comes up too high. If I tuck the regulator under the lip......then it can't be bolted because the holes don't line up.

This has been the case with two "new" regulators I've tried.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator Problem with New Replacement..! Includes blood! Reply with quote

MrEnglishman wrote:

It cant be bent..

anything can be bent. i have put in a few. they suck. looking closely at yours it seems the radius into the winder mechanism is a bit too proud so bending yours may in fact lower the winder, and make it impossible to install.

without seeing it in person it's hard to say.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator Problem with New Replacement..! Includes blood! Reply with quote

The new ones are made of cheese metal. I had to buy three before I had two that survived installation and early testing after the restorers wrecked my originals.

It should fit up under the lip at the top of the inside of the door, the mistake I made was to cross over the window glass slot so the top of the winder mech was the on the outside of the door.

The new knurling on the winder handle shaft is very soft, I ended up having to epoxy the winder handles on.

I did manage to fix the cracked gear in the original mech on one of mine, drilled a cross hole and put in a hardened steel pin ( masonry nail cut down) as the casting had split in half.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator Problem with New Replacement..! Includes blood! Reply with quote

The new regulators are shite, pure and simple. I don't know how many manufacturers are making them but I've tried to install a couple of the ones with the blue tube and given up. Last time I tried one it was so frustrating I pulled it all apart. I managed to repair an original Bus one by removing the crank part from a beetle unit and welding it to the Bus unit.

The poor shape is only part of the issue. The lifter bracket part that the window fastens to is also improperly made, not even close to the original and causes alignment issues with the window.

They CAN be made to fit like some have said but it's barely worth the effort. The split tube is for sure very hard to bend smoothly, it wants to collapse instead. Dimensionally there's a big problem with the curve close to the winder part (skills post above correctly notes) and if you re-shape the curve so it (almost, it won't properly) tucks under the lip where it needs to be, then the winder doesn't align with it's mounting holes.

Just a terrible mess of a product. The people who make them should be ashamed, and the people who sell them in volume should apply pressure so they get made properly.
MrEnglishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Window Regulator Problem with New Replacement..! Includes blood! Reply with quote

Luckily getting a refund on the new. Not one original drivers left side for sale here in the Samba..! I didn't realize how tuff they are to find. (Hence why I tried the new one!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: