Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaf Spring across Swing Axles
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Leaf Spring across Swing Axles Reply with quote

I recently picked up a dune buggy, not my first. I have never seen this on anything else. The ownership says 71, but it's a swing axle with a king pin front end. There is a single leaf spring that runs across the transmission and attaches to swing axles out near the brakes. Does anyone know what this is for?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Leaf Spring across Swing Axles Reply with quote

camber compensator

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
avw1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Leaf Spring across Swing Axles Reply with quote

This is an early dealer add-on. It was $35 in the early 60s. It helps you a little and the dealer more. Still nice to have.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Leaf Spring across Swing Axles Reply with quote

As other have said its a "camber compensator"... If you want better driving performance replace it with anti-sway bar....

As for being a 71, it isn't, ball joint from end came in 67 I believe and 69 and later is IRS.... Check the pan just ahead of access area for shift coupler to see if original VIN number is there, it will cross reference to correct year...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Leaf Spring across Swing Axles Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:

As for being a 71, it isn't, ball joint from end came in 67 I believe and 69 and later is IRS....

The OP doesn't mention where he lives. Bugs sold in USA were IRS but Bugs sold in other countries were still swingaxle.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Leaf Spring across Swing Axles Reply with quote

Camber compensator keeps your rear wheels from tucking in during cornering. Frequently added for "high" speed cornering.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Leaf Spring across Swing Axles Reply with quote

I don’t think that I would recommend it as a jack point
dhubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Leaf Spring across Swing Axles Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info, I am in Ontario, Canada. The original VIN is not there anymore, They drilled through it for a seat belt attachment point, I'm not sure if that was on purpose years ago. It doesn't seem uncommon up here that the VIN on the paperwork doesn't match the chassis VIN, if it even has one.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaf Spring across Swing Axles Reply with quote

dhubz wrote:
Thanks for all the info, I am in Ontario, Canada. The original VIN is not there anymore, They drilled through it for a seat belt attachment point, I'm not sure if that was on purpose years ago. It doesn't seem uncommon up here that the VIN on the paperwork doesn't match the chassis VIN, if it even has one.

Many times "kit cars" have new VIN numbers issued by state/providence/country where it was assembled...

MY buggy is California Registered as a 1970 SPCNXXXXXX ... SPCN mean "SPecial CoNstruction"... But chassis VIN says its a 61...

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaf Spring across Swing Axles Reply with quote

Double post....

Last edited by Dale M. on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaf Spring across Swing Axles Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
I don’t think that I would recommend it as a jack point

Name checks out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaf Spring across Swing Axles Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
Camber compensator keeps your rear wheels from tucking in during cornering. Frequently added for "high" speed cornering.

^^^This!^^^

An aftermarket add on sold through the popular VW magazines and available in speed shops. In our part of the world is was never sold or installed by a VW dealer. Not a VW part!
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaf Spring across Swing Axles Reply with quote

They were a popular add-on for other swing axle autos... Corvairs and Triumph Spitfires come to mind....often sold under the brand of Camber Compensator.

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaf Spring across Swing Axles Reply with quote

I've been running one for many years...it definitely helps with axle lift and wheel tuck in hard corners.
I added some longer studs in the case this past summer when I had my transmission diff replaced. It makes it easier to install the piece that mounts to the trans case.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Leaf Spring across Swing Axles Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Wolfgangdieter wrote:

^^^This!^^^

An aftermarket add on sold through the popular VW magazines and available in speed shops. In our part of the world is was never sold or installed by a VW dealer. Not a VW part!

Never say never without proof... our dealership sold and installed them back in the day.

And they did offer some aid in preventing rear axle tuck. Lots of accurate detail available from knowledgeable people.

https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=122567

bnc
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaf Spring across Swing Axles Reply with quote

Just skimming through the link you provided I did not see anything that said the camber compensator was a VW part. I do not doubt that some dealers may have marketed them as an accessory or upgrade. But until I see a VW logo and part number stamped on one they were aftermarket.

Our dealer where I grew up sold Manx Buggy kits (may have been a copy) but that did not make the Buggies a VW option or VW part.

Some dealers also sold and installed AC for the pre 70's Beetles too but VW did not make or warrantee them.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaf Spring across Swing Axles Reply with quote

OPRN, I haven't seen anyone in this thread say that the camber compensator was a VW part. Only that it was installed as an extra cost dealer add-on by some VW dealers.

They were sold in the US for many years under the EMPI brand name.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Leaf Spring across Swing Axles Reply with quote

My misinterpretation, you are correct. Sorry!
Luftwagen 2180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaf Spring across Swing Axles Reply with quote

Looks like Empi still sells them.
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaf Spring across Swing Axles Reply with quote

Porsche installed a camber compensator on the 356 Super 90. I believe it was optional on non super 90 cars.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: