Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Westy wiring / electrical questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
suspencervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: 1970 Westy wiring / electrical questions Reply with quote

I have been posting a lot of wiring / electrical questions lately, and know that I will have more coming soon, so thought I'd just make one thread for them.

Todays question :
I'm trying to make the rear dome light (is that actually what it's called?) work with the new wiring dome light harness that I have. I have a new blue w/ red wire that runs to it, as well as a short ground wire that I am assuming grounds near where the light is.
This is the light that I have now. Can anyone tell me if it is the correct / original set up?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westy wiring / electrical questions Reply with quote

Let’s see the new harness.......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suspencervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westy wiring / electrical questions Reply with quote

Here are the only two wires from the kit I have that are for this light. The dome light harness is already in place, with all the other wires connected, and the blue w/ red is the only one that runs to this light. The other other wire in this picture (which is currently taped to the blue w/ red so I don't loose it lol) is a short brown ground wire.

I didn't get any of the other wires in the previous pictures with my new harness and so am assuming that they came with the light. I don't have a replacement light so I don't have new wires for it :/
I don't mind getting a replacement, but if this is the original I'd like to see if I can make it work first
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westy wiring / electrical questions Reply with quote

Hello,
Your light fixture is wired correctly(green wire/jumper wire is replaced). Just go down too the hardware store and get some grey wire, if you want to refresh that fixture. One switch is for the two outer bulbs(hence: jumper), the other for center bulb.
But, the new harness will work. These pictures are the way it came form factory.

I hope this helps you out.
suspencervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westy wiring / electrical questions Reply with quote

Thank you so much! That was exactly what I was looking for Very Happy
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westy wiring / electrical questions Reply with quote

The bulbs you have in there look wrong......should have metal "titty" ends on them like the lastest pic

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westy wiring / electrical questions Reply with quote

That whole light is a mess, broken switches, cracked lens, tweaked frame, I'd say it would be less work to find a better example, or a modern replacement.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westy wiring / electrical questions Reply with quote

That too ^^^

I think the bulbs are p/n 6411

ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westy wiring / electrical questions Reply with quote

Hello, Wow.
Rough crowd we have here today.... It's a 51yr. old bus, boys.

Well now, If he went modern then that wouldn't be original, would it? Too some people that matters.... What's your guys original westy interior light look like?

Sure, the lens is cracked(find one better in the classifieds, I did. thanks wes) and along with switches(mine were fine). And, straighten/flex the metal fixture over the edge of the work bench, easy enough. Even though the screws will hold it flat....

It looks like his bus is a work in progress, we all had to start there once. You know pride of ownership.
Give the kid a break, he came here looking for answers BD, not your opinion. At least, rugblaster came up with the modern day bulb crossover for the N 17 723 2 VW interior light bulbs....
Yep, I didn't have my coffee this morning. So, I'm grumpy, now...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westy wiring / electrical questions Reply with quote

Grouch all you like, everyone has their own threshold of "when is it too much work?". Personally I'd take on the challenge of finding a better light, I prefer the original stuff and they are still out there, but it takes some hunting to find a decent one at a reasonable price, it may take a while, but you may make some new friends in the process.
In the mean time any old light will fill the hole and let you see when it's dark, I have better things to do with my time than spending more hours and dollars than a replacement unit may be worth fixing that one. The frame is fixable, but the lens and switches are fubar, better ones are hard to find but not extinct or beyond reach, spend the time wisely. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westy wiring / electrical questions Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
better ones are hard to find but not extinct or beyond reach, spend the time wisely. Wink

https://bus-ok.nl/T2A-Hella-dome-light-Westfalia-USED-231947105
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westy wiring / electrical questions Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
better ones are hard to find but not extinct or beyond reach, spend the time wisely. Wink

https://bus-ok.nl/T2A-Hella-dome-light-Westfalia-USED-231947105

And there you go, by the time you find new switches and a lens you'll be into it for more than that. Or does your desire to save a buck exceed your desire to have time to enjoy camping in your bus?

Слава Україні!
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westy wiring / electrical questions Reply with quote

Hello,
It looks like he has some rust repairs needing too be done first....before putting the interior back in and going camping. Hence, the light shining through the front of the rear wheel well.... Rolling Eyes
suspencervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westy wiring / electrical questions Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice! I'm probably going to try to get this light working since I already have all the supplies lying around. If not, then I am now well versed in my other options and know what I've got to do. I'll try this weekend and let you know how it works out Very Happy
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westy wiring / electrical questions Reply with quote

Good deal

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Westy wiring / electrical questions Reply with quote

unless that bus is going to be a museum piece, or show bus wanting to score 100 points, I would look for an inexpensive LED light to put in its place. The light will be brighter and the battery last far longer.

$10.95 https://www.gowesty.com/product/bulbs-sockets/25144/dome-light-led-bulb?v=

$11.99 https://www.amazon.com/Lumitronics-Designer-Remova...amp;sr=8-4
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: