Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Valve Adjust Screw brand ?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
abl1111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Best Valve Adjust Screw brand ? Reply with quote

Have a bad ONE.

Just need one, but will have to buy a set. Who and where can I get OEM quality or better valve adjuster with nut ? There's a lot of crap out there hopefully one of you guys knows a good brand.

For a 79' Fuel Injected stock engine.

For the record - satan himself must have designed the location and geometrical access, or lack of, for these @#%#%^&% things ! Especially cylinder #2, rearward ! I've bled more doing these over the years than any other area on my car !
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Valve Adjust Screw brand ? Reply with quote

It was Hitler. So, yes, Satan himself.

There is a level of skill required that allows one to retain there skin during and after car repairs. However, that skills sometimes “slips”. So, not foolproof!

Buy a used rocker arm assembly. Fairly cheap, the correct thread, seasoned and still good to use. The classifieds have some for sale.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Valve Adjust Screw brand ? Reply with quote

The best are the Porsche-brand swivel foot screws. At $30 each they're not cheap, but they're the best quality AND they make your seats/guides last longer.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Porsche-Valve-Adjusting-Screw-Each-901-105-370-02-p/901-105-370-02.htm

The rocker arms need clearencing and possible shimming for correct geometry, but in my opinion these are more important than an oil filter on a stock engine.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abl1111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Valve Adjust Screw brand ? Reply with quote

Would rather buy new.

Do all vw rockers have the same thread for the adjusters ?
Classifieds have 2 rockers in ‘68 and up - pricey.
Porsche ones - $$$$
Geometry of rocker arms - has always been a mystery to me. Gotta be an easy way to measure and install for the DIY’er ? Maybe not.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Best Valve Adjust Screw brand ? Reply with quote

any of the aftermarket ones i've seen lately are pure crap...too soft ,ground on incorrect radius...they start to pit immediately...i've been forced to scrounge good used ones for my last couple of builds...so if anyone knows a source of genuine vw of mexico stuff i'd be interested too....and yes a mechanic is required to make a blood sacrifice in order for the rest of the job to go smoothly
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Best Valve Adjust Screw brand ? Reply with quote

Try CB Performance. The blood given is worth it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Best Valve Adjust Screw brand ? Reply with quote

NOS German Valve Adjustment Screws 111 109 451

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2373493

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Best Valve Adjust Screw brand ? Reply with quote

I had a valve adjustment screw/nut go bad on my 1971 engine. This was a factory screw/nut, and engine still ran; neither fell into the engine, cannot remember if fell off as a unit or separately. The rocker arm threads were fine.

These are special hardened screws/nuts and are 8.0mm x 1.0mm (fine pitch).

I bought a pair of new adjuster screws and a pair of the nuts from an Ebay seller; so now I have a spare set.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
abl1111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Valve Adjust Screw brand ? Reply with quote

Thx Glenn. Bought em !

Need nuts ....
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Valve Adjust Screw brand ? Reply with quote

abl1111 wrote:
Thx Glenn. Bought em !

Need nuts ....

Trust me you ARE nuts.

https://www.mcmaster.com/nuts/system-of-measurement~metric/thread-size~m8/thread-pitch~1-mm/

New type one valve adjuster nuts
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2347160

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abl1111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Valve Adjust Screw brand ? Reply with quote

Owning these cars can make you nuts ! It’s the ‘never ending gob-stopper’ of repair and maintenance.

As for the nuts, I might have these somewhere from another part of engine re-assembly.

Last edited by abl1111 on Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Valve Adjust Screw brand ? Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that link Glenn. I just shot a PM to the seller also. These adjusting screws I just opened are ground into a point! Shocked
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Valve Adjust Screw brand ? Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Thanks for posting that link Glenn.

Lots of good stuff in the Samba classified.

Lots of crap also Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Valve Adjust Screw brand ? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:
Thanks for posting that link Glenn.

Lots of good stuff in the Samba classified.

Lots of crap also Wink

Lol this guy won't sell to me. He responded to my inquiry "not interested, no sale."
I guess I'll find them somewhere else.

Probably why it's easier just to order what you need.than to try to use classified ads.
abl1111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Valve Adjust Screw brand ? Reply with quote

I’ve learned to assume nothing so...

I found a valve adjustment nut at local, old school auto parts place - it’s hardened etc, but its 6.25 mm thick vs all the other valve adjustment nuts on the car at 4.8 mm thick.

Will this difference in weight create an issue or not ?
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Valve Adjust Screw brand ? Reply with quote

The OEM screws appear to be Grade 8 quality hard all the way through.

Find a 'good' OEM screw. If you're good with a grinder you can clean up the end of your old one (OEM), re-radius it like the 'good' OEM screw (make a radius template?), re-relief the side if necessary then polish the tip.

I've made a tool for my lathe that can cut the radius. I find I can do this 2 times before the screw starts getting short.
abl1111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Valve Adjust Screw brand ? Reply with quote

Screws and nut - the threads took a she’at.
On that #2 cylinder, the rear most valve is a nightmare to adjust. On that valve adjuster screw, I’ve used a grinder to deepen the slot to assist with the adjustment.

Most recent post I’m trying to assess if the thickness of a new nut matters...
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Best Valve Adjust Screw brand ? Reply with quote

from a performance point of view the heavier the nut , the more inertia so the valve spring needs to be stronger to prevent valve float at high rpm...on a stock engine at low rpm probably wont affect anything...put it on a valve thats easy to adjust and replace it when you find one...valve adjustment nuts are something that the average shop would sweep up and throw away i cant believe you cant find one out there for the price of a stamp
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Valve Adjust Screw brand ? Reply with quote

Any sources of GOOD stock 8mm ones currently?

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: