Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vent window assembly advice
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Vent window assembly advice Reply with quote

I am embarking on the journey of reassembling my vent windows that I just got back from chrome. I am wondering what people are doing to seal the window to the frame.

If you are using rubber, who makes a good one? I looked at WCM vs WW and the WCM looks like it is a shaped piece of rubber vs WW which is just a rectangular piece that needs to be cut,

There is also the suggestion to just use some rubber to set the depth then fill with window sealant. If you are doing that,what sealant?

Feedback would be appreciated.
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window assembly advice Reply with quote

I would definitely recommend using the search feature for the forum. There's usually at least one previous thread on these type of issues that have been answered in the past. Here's some great feedback:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

There's a member here, johnshenry, that compiled a huge 'how-to' when it comes to restoring Ovals. Bookmark his main site, and read through it.

Your question can be answered on his site here:
http://www.thebugshop.org/bsp57_15.htm

Main site:
http://www.thebugshop.org

Happy re-assembly!!

*October '54 Ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window assembly advice Reply with quote

Hey Dave, appreciate you posting all these resources.

I have read many of the posts as well as the website referenced. However, all of this info is old... by many years. Those seals aren’t even sold anymore.

For reference, I built a set in 1993 where different seals were available and using wd40 I was able to get things squeezed together by hand.

What I am looking for is current data and experience of people doing this in or around 2020 using today’s available resources.

Cheers,
Larry
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window assembly advice Reply with quote

I just got through with doing a set of doors on a '57, I used the rectangular pieces. They are rubber, so they can shrink and stretch, and fit the contours of the vent wing frame.

Let me know when you get to the front, shorter of the two, window felt...

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window assembly advice Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I just got through with doing a set of doors on a '57, I used the rectangular pieces. They are rubber, so they can shrink and stretch, and fit the contours of the vent wing frame.

Let me know when you get to the front, shorter of the two, window felt...

Did you build something to press them in?

What was the issue with the divider felt? I installed them on my 58 using WW felt and it went together and rolled up and down with zero problems. My first attempt was with WCM felt, it was garbage. Way too thick and impossible to get the window to roll in cleanly.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window assembly advice Reply with quote

With the flat part of the wind wing on a flat carpeted surface I very gently tapped the frame down with a rubber mallet and lots of lube

lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window assembly advice Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
With the flat part of the wind wing on a flat carpeted surface I very gently tapped the frame down with a rubber mallet and lots of lube

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the tip. I will tackle it this weekend and add anything that I find.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window assembly advice Reply with quote

I tried both WW and WCM for the short felts, made it so tight the window wouldn't go down, and It was so tight I thought I was gonna break a tooth off the regulator..Someone suggested I get the ones for a convertible from Chuck's Convertible parts, as the part that sits inside and against the channel is thinner. I got them, out them ion, and voila !!!

lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window assembly advice Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I tried both WW and WCM for the short felts, made it so tight the window wouldn't go down, and It was so tight I thought I was gonna break a tooth off the regulator..Someone suggested I get the ones for a convertible from Chuck's Convertible parts, as the part that sits inside and against the channel is thinner. I got them, out them ion, and voila !!!

How long ago did you try WW vent felt?

Their new felt is nothing like WCM felt. It isn't as deep or thick. I have used it on my 58 with zero problems. We will see on the 55. If I do have issues, I will look into the ones from Chuck's. Thanks for the lead!
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window assembly advice Reply with quote

roughly around Thanksgiving...

lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window assembly advice Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
roughly around Thanksgiving...

Same time I did my 58. I’ll let you know how it goes on this one. Fingers crossed!
nic_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window assembly advice Reply with quote

I recently did my vent windows on my ‘56. I used the WW seals (rectangular black rubber), and followed the BugShop instructions above. A few things I’d note:
- There’s no way I could have tapped the glass in with a hammer. It needed constant and strong pressure, and taps would likely have broken something.
- I put a bit of Sikaflex (black silicon sealant) in the channel first. I doubt it was needed, the assembly is so tight I can’t imagine the glass just popping out.
- While the BugShop instructions say to use a Workmate, I’d suggest using 3 or 4 clamps and slowly tightening them up one by one. This allowed me to apply pressure more accurately (and perpendicular) to the glass. I actually bent my WorkMate at first. Crying or Very sad
- When you get the jig working, it works well! Just be careful not to push the glass in too far. I pushed mine in past the outer edge of the chrome, so they actually don’t seal perfectly.
- Don’t forget to put the little rain gutters in the chrome first! (These also make trimming the WW rubber a bit tricky after you’ve got it all together.

Photo of my jig using the clamps, and also note the little piece to stop the front corner from popping out...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window assembly advice Reply with quote

I did NOT tap, or pound, on the glass with a hammer. The glass was flat side down on a piece of carpet, that was on a piece of soft wood. I took my time, tapped it gently on the FRAME, with lotsa lube...It is what I had to work with, and it worked.

lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window assembly advice Reply with quote

Based on feedback from everyone, I tackled the windows this morning since I have the day off. I originally tried to muscle them in with some silicone spray. Got them 90%. I ended up following ben’s suggestion as well as the old post and built a couple of jigs using scrape wood.

I also left the rubber in the sun and stretched it over the window. I then used silicone spray and manually pushed it in as far as I could. Then it went into the press. I could feel it when it slide home. Last thing I need to do is figure out how to trim the rubber from behind the rain gutter.

Thx all!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: