Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Over heating event
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
haz77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Over heating event Reply with quote

I think I experienced an over heating event today,

Took the fasty to drop the boy off at a B-Day party & shortly after, while doing a few jobs around town it started miss firing / dropped a cylinder.

Managed to nurse it across town to the in laws, had a cup of tea then checked the leads oils etc & noticed how bloody hot the engine was, started her up, which took a lot more turning over than normal & then all was well again.

So unless there was a loose plug lead I resolved by wiggling I guessing the engine got to dam hot, it was about 30-32'C out & the engine / parts were alomst to hot to touch even after being parked up for 20-30mins.

what's the best way to monitor engine temp? - Ive read about monitoring No3 cylinder head with a clip on sensor, is this the way to go or would an oil temp sender be better?

Cheers, engine specs below.
1776cc, Fully balanced, 8 Dowel fly, W100, DRD L3 heads, 1:25-1 CB rockers, 8.2:1, Twin 34's, Elec fuel pump, Fuel press reg, Full flowed, Single Quiet pack.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Over heating event Reply with quote

haz77 wrote:

So unless there was a loose plug lead I resolved by wiggling I guessing the engine got to dam hot, it was about 30-32'C out & the engine / parts were alomst to hot to touch even after being parked up for 20-30mins.

what's the best way to monitor engine temp? - Ive read about monitoring No3 cylinder head with a clip on sensor, is this the way to go or would an oil temp sender be better?

If I go for a long drive in the summer the engine components will be too hot to touch. Was that 20-30 min with the engine cover on or did you leave the engine cover off for that long?

To monitor oil temp. I use a probe that replaces the drain bolt.

Are all your tins in place? Is that big rubber bellow correctly install and secured on both ends?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Over heating event Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
haz77 wrote:

If I go for a long drive in the summer the engine components will be too hot to touch. Was that 20-30 min with the engine cover on or did you leave the engine cover off for that long?

Are all your tins in place? Is that big rubber bellow correctly install and secured on both ends?

Yup, if I just do a 15 minute ride in the summer, the engine case and tin will be too hot to touch. Keep in mind that the air temp is around 90+ degrees F, and you're heating that up to at least 175+, so it should be hot. If you can hear it detonating (spark knock) when it's hot, that should tell you it's too far advanced, and will overheat. Keeping in mind that there are causes to why an engine is overheating like too far advanced, running lean, too much compression, missing cooling tin, things like that. I know my own engine (stock 1600 dual carb in my Notch) will run for hours at a time on the freeway (I've done 16 hours straight coming back from Missouri) at speeds of 70-75mph.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Over heating event Reply with quote

What ignition system are you running?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
haz77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Over heating event Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Was that 20-30 min with the engine cover on or did you leave the engine cover off for that long?

Cover on.

Dont like the idea of anything that would be a risk of getting knocked off the sump.

Tin all in place, heat exchangers but not running the uppers, bellow is all good.
1776cc, Fully balanced, 8 Dowel fly, W100, DRD L3 heads, 1:25-1 CB rockers, 8.2:1, Twin 34's, Elec fuel pump, Fuel press reg, Full flowed, Single Quiet pack.
haz77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Over heating event Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
If you can hear it detonating (spark knock) when it's hot, that should tell you it's too far advanced, and will overheat. Keeping in mind that there are causes to why an engine is overheating like too far advanced, running lean, too much compression, missing cooling tin, things like that.

No spark knock, it just dropped a cylinder / miss fired every now & then but would rev & run generally as normal.

Advance is +30', all tin etc on, I did read that performance engine's will run hotter, especially with a type3 & it was start stopping around town which would make it worse.
haz77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Over heating event Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
What ignition system are you running?

Aftermarket Dizzy with points, Bosch Black coil & leads.
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Over heating event Reply with quote

Try changing your condenser.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Over heating event Reply with quote

The only time my '69 has overheated I lost power & stopped to find the bellows collapsed and blocking the cooling air!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Over heating event Reply with quote

In my experience, when an engine is over-heating it has a distinctive smell, literally like burning metal, but smellier. That is the definitive indication for me since all air-cooled engines will be too hot to touch.
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
haz77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Over heating event Reply with quote

Thanks all,

So it sounds more like it got a bit to hot rather than over heated per say, it was still idling well, was drivable & would accelerate out of the misfire, I thought either a lead was loose or a carb had flooded, once I re started & got out of town it was as good as new.

So the remaining question is what should I fir to monitor the temp, is a VDO oil temp guage the best?

Im sure I remember a post on here about using a aero industry clip on temp sender on No3 to monitor the hottest area on the engine?
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Over heating event Reply with quote

haz77 wrote:

So the remaining question is what should I fir to monitor the temp, is a VDO oil temp guage the best?

Im sure I remember a post on here about using a aero industry clip on temp sender on No3 to monitor the hottest area on the engine?

You are thinking of cylinder heat temperature (CHT) probe that is washer shaped and goes under the spark plug.

There are common ways to measure temperature in an air cooled engine; the oil and the cylinder head. Each gives you a different piece of information. You're going to have to research and figure out which is best for you because it's a lengthy and old debate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Over heating event Reply with quote

Pick a temp method you want. As you drive you will get a feel for a baseline reading, what you consider acceptable. If you see the reading go too far from your baseline then you have something to work with.
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Over heating event Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:

WTF? Explain.
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Over heating event Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
Jason37 wrote:

WTF? Explain.

The misfire could be the cause of the over heating. A bad condenser can cause a misfire and weaker spark in general. Weaker spark means the engine is not operating efficiently resulting in increased heat being generated.

I learnt the hard way that just because something is new doesn’t mean it is good. Early this summer I had a misfire on my car after about 15 minutes of driving (I consider this the time to get the engine up to temp as early cars do not have a thermostat) at first I ruled out ignition as I had just replaced points, condenser, rotor and plugs. The first thing I checked my plugs and they were sooty, leading me to believe there was an issue with the fuel system. Since I had been running the carb for some time, I started with checking fuel pressure, it was good. Then I decided to check the valves, they too were in spec. Decided on a whim to start changing the ignition components back, and the first was the condenser.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: