Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldBlueSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

Has anyone used GoWesty's transaxle plug with a temp sensor?

https://www.gowesty.com/product/manual/24646/fill-plug-for-transaxle

I was thinking of putting one in it'd be nice to keep the magnet too. Would I still get a similar reading if I used the temp senor in the fill plug?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

They are selling it as a “fill plug” Do you have the 4th gear oil plate installed? If so, there may not be enough room for the temp sender. Probably not an issue though. I have to imagine there’s a pretty good hurricane going on in there and the sender is bound to pick up temp. Might not be as accurate submerged, but you are looking for consistency. Plus at some point, the sender may be reading case temp once the heat has saturated.
OldBlueSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
They are selling it as a “fill plug” Do you have the 4th gear oil plate installed? If so, there may not be enough room for the temp sender. Probably not an issue though. I have to imagine there’s a pretty good hurricane going on in there and the sender is bound to pick up temp. Might not be as accurate submerged, but you are looking for consistency. Plus at some point, the sender may be reading case temp once the heat has saturated.

I didn't even pick up on the fact that it's being sold as a fill plug haha. No oil plate installed that I know of. I can stick my finger in the fill hole a good ways so I imagine I don't have an oil plate in there.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

If your finger doesn't hit a "wall" you don't have oil plates. Oil plates are a good thing, a well known "passive" gearbox lubrication enhancement.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The left pic you can see a drain plug magnet inserted into the filler plug hole. The temperature sensor would be here, but due to the bushing stackup, it would protrude into the gearbox much LESS than the magnet does.

Incidentally, oiling plates completely block the oil thrown by 4th gear from hitting the sensor. The sensor won't have hot oil "thrown at it". This is not a problem, just a 'note'. The sensor would be reporting an average of the inside air/oil vapor temperature, and the transmission case temperature. Most of the time there will be little difference between oil temp, inside air temp, and case temp. Basically the GW filler plug bushing is a super-easy way to add a temperature sender to your transaxle.

Vanagon owners who may be interested in transaxle temp are those with:

1) Big engine
2) drive fast (like 70+)
3) drive heavy
4) old trans
5) 5.43 or 6.17 gears
6) big tires
7) lubricant contaminated by steel dust, bits, bad stuff
8 ) oxidized lubricant (turned black)
9) a smokin' checkbook Wink

If you don't have any of these, the normal transaxle temp of 140-150°F may not interest you much, and it shouldn't. It's actually GOOD news. Take care of that cool running trans and keep it lubed or #9 comes sooner! If your trans is getting hot you should at least change your oil,,,, and slow down too.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

I'm sold on one. Which is better?

https://www.boxeer.com/products/magnetic-plug-temp-sensor-vanagon-vw-audi-porsche
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

GoWesty is more for the filler plug, but of course it works on the drain plug too. But as a drain plug bushing it would delete the super-important magnet.)

I'd go Boxeer for sure. Them you are measuring oil temp AND you have a neodymium magnet.

============

Boxeer seems to be relying on their reputation and engineering expertise, and don't appear to understand that relatively few people are aware of those traits they offer the Vanagon customer.....
Boxeer needs some sales help.
This is a classical problem with engineers tasked with all the complications of creation, production, business, and "sales".
Which can be a mixed blessing - because as a small business they may be unable to supply the volumes that better salesmanship would provide....
There's never enough time in a day, or enough quality help.

Well anyway here's a few important details lacking from their sales pitch.
They could easily tell everyone these details directly on their website for "free" (and 24/7/365 )
rather than wait for some transaxle obsessed forum nut to put on a Boxeer hat.

Missing from Boxeer sales pitch:
    -point out the neodymium ring magnet.
    -tell you the thread specification (of the sensor hole).
    -show you a pic of exactly what you will receive which is ONLY a bushing (with the magnet)

Leave 1 or 2 questions unanswered and the customer buys "nothing".
Answer all questions?
^^This results in <add to cart> (24/7/365)

They could to show a pic of the Bosch® guage kit that they recommend.
They showing that the gauge kit includes the sensor that fits their product.
Better yet, they should simply stock and sell the guage, even if they had to buy it from Amazon for $22. Make up a 100% kit that leaves zero guesswork and 100% confidence for the customer.

Unless I've made a mistake...... (But I'm not a Boxeer rep, I'm just a forum guy)

Here's what you get from Amazon for $22. The adapters are 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" (not used). Nobody cares if it's $22 or $40. If Boxeer offerred that gauge kit for $40 people will happily <add to cart> even those who know it's $22 on Amazon. The "certainty" that it will bolt onto your van is worth $18 more.

Anyway I bet they're too busy to deal with small things like this. But its only a few minutes work, and it sells 24/7/365 "for free".

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:43 am; edited 2 times in total
OldBlueSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I'm sold on one. Which is better?

https://www.boxeer.com/products/magnetic-plug-temp-sensor-vanagon-vw-audi-porsche

The gowesty is used in conjection with this temp sensor.
https://www.gowesty.com/product/electrical/22241/oil-temp-sender?v=

The Boxeer one looks like it might be difficult to use a socket to remove the plug with the temp sensor still installed. It's also a little pricey for just the plug. It says the senor isn't included.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

On second thought I can't really say for sure which is better.
The GW filler plug adapter is $16
and the Boxeer drain magnet adapter is $65.

They are kind of "different".
I bet the temperatures registered:

....of transaxle air temp (GW)
    .vs.
    ...oil sump temp (Boxeer)

would be appx the same.

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

A buddy has the boxeer one in the filler location. I think something in his ej25 conversion kit is blocking the way.

He also jacked his van up on passenger side to overfill the trans to get a more accurate reading.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
A buddy has the boxeer one in the filler location. I think something in his ej25 conversion kit is blocking the way.

He also jacked his van up on passenger side to overfill the trans to get a more accurate reading.

If he has the Smallcar bellhousing, Smallcar uses a different drain plug with a teeny magnet. Unlike the VW plug which has a big magnet.
The Boxeer adapter/plug won't fit in the Smallcar drain hole but it does fit in the filler hole.

Running the oil level above the filler hole would provide good oil temp readings. But there are some concerns with this...

FYI ..... I did quite a bit of research WRT gearbox oil levels. I found that a gearbox designer wants the maximum oil level (for maximum lubrication). They choose the level by filling the gearbox until the excess "oil churning" causes an increase in oil temperature, which indicates that the box has "too much oil". Then they reduce the level a little from that. So I think it's probably better to use a normal oil level. But if he has a guage he'll know if it's "hot".

And maybe he would reduce the level to normal and report back to you/us if the trans temperature dropped ??? That would be interesting (to some of us). There's a thread for it here: Manual Transaxle: OVERFILL for lower temperature & longer life?

markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

the boxeer sender bung won't fit if you have a kennedy engineering with their headers, there's no space for the sender, the bung would fit, i have a customer who bought the bung, it's stuck to his ebrake as far as i know.

619 201 0310
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

Yah that’s another thing.
Boxeer needs to post pics of it installed on vans.
Pics answer a lot of questions.

Cdub!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

It’s actually stuck to the seatbelt anchor Mark Laughing
CaliforniaVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

Hi!
First...i know, this postig is a bit old...but...
i would like to know, where i can find this bushing, which has a magnet in it.
Boxeer hasn´t it in stock. I would like to use it in the transmission drain plug. Normal bushing without magnet are not the problem...

Maybe anyone can help to find?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

CaliforniaVan wrote:
Hi!
Boxeer hasn´t it in stock. I would like to use it in the transmission drain plug. Normal bushing without magnet are not the problem...

Halo!

if you don`t care about the magnet, I sell bushings in the classifieds Wink

The center hole is M14x1.5. The Bosch senders are M12x1.5, if that`s you want to use, you`ll have to install a reducer bushing into the M14 hole or for whatever sender you`re using smaller than M14.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1978285
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
CaliforniaVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
CaliforniaVan wrote:
Hi!

Halo!

if you don`t care about the magnet, I sell bushings in the classifieds Wink

The center hole is M14x1.5. The Bosch senders are M12x1.5, if that`s you want to use, you`ll have to install a reducer bushing into the M14 hole or for whatever sender you`re using smaller than M14.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1978285

Aloha!
Thank you for the offer but i only need a bushing with magnet...
Also i need M16 and not M14 - it´s not a Vanagon transmission - it´s an 012 Audi trans...
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

How about a sender for my Auto??
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

oceanair wrote:
How about a sender for my Auto??

You can purchase a weld in bung for the oil pan next time you have it off. You can also weld in a drain plug that comes in handy. Check Summit or Jegs for the weld in bung.
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

This came up at an opportune time for me. Ive been wanting to add a temp sensor to my 091/aircooled as its going to be running the boxeer TDI relatively soon.

What have folks considered the best method for getting accurate temps? These plug-style sensors?

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

Quote:

You can purchase a weld in bung for the oil pan next time you have it off. You can also weld in a drain plug that comes in handy. Check Summit or Jegs for the weld in bung.

Thanks -
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: