Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official good deal on Buses or parts topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 485, 486, 487 ... 507, 508, 509  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

It's certainly not my cup of tea but the mods made coud n't be done for that cost. Plenty i don't like about it such as the giant mirrors and the smooth gates but for a custom 50k if someone was looking for one i think its a good deal. And it certainly beats a hacked up brazilian bus
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Ditto ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
2nd that.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

The risk you take when you build a custom car to your liking is that everyone else in the world might think you have awful taste. This only borders a good deal if you like absolutely everything about this truck and don't want to change a thing. Then you have to hope when you go to sell it you find another person that shares your questionable tastes. The deal wasn't so good if you can't unload it. Custom work always looses when you go to sell. Custom costs too much to recoup but that doesn't equate to a good deal unless you saw this particular single cab drive by you in a dream the night before it was posted for sale. That's just the way I see it.

I won't tear apart what I see as the short comings of the truck in this thread.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

might not be everyones cup of tea style wise but to say you are unimpressed with that build is pretty smug... I do respect peoples opinions though and this is of course my opinion... that truck is rad and a bargain at 50k... I guess most would prefer their wheezy leaky 40hp and drum brakes though Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

Mark me down as smug then?

Also, to clarify, I never said I was unimpressed with the build. There is a lot of impressive work done here. I don't like the finished product, not my cup of tea, therefore I am unimpressed with the offering.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
Mark me down as smug then?

Also, to clarify, I never said I was unimpressed with the build. There is a lot of impressive work done here. I don't like the finished product, not my cup of tea, therefore I am unimpressed with the offering.

I'm with you. To use an old phrase, "A good artist knows when to lift the brush."

Just as it is with people, I can appreciate and respect lots of them without liking them.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
might not be everyones cup of tea style wise but to say you are unimpressed with that build is pretty smug... I do respect peoples opinions though and this is of course my opinion... that truck is rad and a bargain at 50k... I guess most would prefer their wheezy leaky 40hp and drum brakes though Sad

I’d definitely take a wheezy 40 hp, stock height, OG paint and RGB’s over that thing. It would take a lot of time and money to unf%#k it and return it to factory. Only positive thing I can say is that it has a/c
livingskies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

I'm with the others who would like this much more if the time and money spent had gone towards a top quality restoration. It's now too modified for return to original to happen.

Whoever built it likely had lots of fun doing that, so they got their money's worth. If it actually runs and drives as well as seems possible, it could become a daily driver for someone who likes it as is (if the buyer lives out of the snow zone). It likely won't depreciate faster than the average new vehicle and will bring lots of smiles and attention.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

To each there own..some people make their busses look like bag of Skittles, a variety of bright non OG colors so that average Person on the street "oohs and awes" them,
It's owning/rent a Porsche for a day....have fun with it... and park it for the next person, to blow off some steam..
Just MOO..
Cheers

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet

Last edited by aa390392 on Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

I love samba Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

All I was thinking was how much fun it would be to ride some pencil dicks ass driving a charger or mustang with a super noisy exhaust in the fast lane at 80 mph then come around him on the right like he was standing still. Very Happy
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

Nobody would be complaining if that single cab had a 914-6 conversion in it.Fact it would be cool if one existed! But the h6 SVX turbo power was Subaru's answer to 911 power in that time.The fact remains that Porsche past 97 or 98 all had the liquid cooled power plants ,so Subaru must have been on to something.Air cooled VW's have always been admired for there simplicity.When you add water you will loose some of that legendary simplicity, that is just my take on the matter Smile
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

obus wrote:
chris henry wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2441605
every time I look at this I think 100k build so I'm going to leave it here. definitely not for everyone but anyone who builds cars can appreciate the craftsmanship involved in this build

That is a great deal

If I win that Powerball bullshit, I know what I'll be drivin' soon. That truck is unreal.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

would you use some of the winnings to restore that truck as mentioned above? it seems like the logical thing to do, you could take it back to sema and show everyone your kamax bolts! imagine the excitement around that truck then!

cdennisg wrote:
obus wrote:
chris henry wrote:
every time I look at this I think 100k build so I'm going to leave it here. definitely not for everyone but anyone who builds cars can appreciate the craftsmanship involved in this build

That is a great deal

If I win that Powerball bullshit, I know what I'll be drivin' soon. That truck is unreal.
Laughing
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
would you use some of the winnings to restore that truck as mentioned above? it seems like the logical thing to do, you could take it back to sema and show everyone your kamax bolts! imagine the excitement around that truck then!

cdennisg wrote:
obus wrote:
chris henry wrote:

That is a great deal

Laughing

Absolutely not. I would find the nicest original smoothgate single cab available, and park them right next to each other in the shop. Then drive each of them as often as possible.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

In case anyone missed the build thread, and what this truck was when it started, here you go. Nothing resembling a restoration worthy VW was harmed in the build.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...tart=0#top

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
In case anyone missed the build thread, and what this truck was when it started, here you go. Nothing resembling a restoration worthy VW was harmed in the build.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...tart=0#top

That’s good news. That changes my opinion a good bit. All too many times the customizers seem to take perverse pleasure in dissecting/ruining an original survivor, when it would have actually been faster and easier to start off with pieces and parts anyway.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
... I would find the nicest original smoothgate single cab available, and park them right next to each other in the shop. Then drive each of them as often as possible.

i am with you. I watched the build thread as well. I would probably not buy it, but i would like to drive it occasionally. maybe after you win the powerball shit Wink

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
... I would find the nicest original smoothgate single cab available, and park them right next to each other in the shop. Then drive each of them as often as possible.

i am with you. I watched the build thread as well. I would probably not buy it, but i would like to drive it occasionally. maybe after you win the powerball shit Wink

It's a deal! Now, to win that pesky powerball shit. Wink
nathan3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

Paid $12k for both and was planning on paying extra for him to bring them down from alberta.. but covid screwed that all up. They turned him around... so he waited for me, i got my pickup and borrowed a flatbed and headed for the boarder.. tried everything i could but they wouldn't let me in. So he dropped them in storage up there and thats where they stayed(month and a half)untill it all lined up with my route and a tow truck driver to pull them over the boarder one at a time and then forklift them into my trailer. Turns out the 63 canadiana(orange) is rustier than i thought, but at least the 59 mango is in great shape! So kinda like buy one get one free!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 485, 486, 487 ... 507, 508, 509  Next
Jump to:
Page 486 of 509

Jump to: