Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: 100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing Reply with quote

I have an ongoing 100 bore x 71 stroke build on STF. I chose to start it there because it's a valuable resource, and I don't want it to go away. It's here:

https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=152009&sid=feaab525cc9f33940a95d6259663f734

I estimate the entire build will cost me about $4500, which isn't too bad for the power I'm aiming for.

I'll post updates from hereon out...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: 100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing Reply with quote

Impressive build; thanks for documenting the work and attention to detail!

I don't think electrickery works that way
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing Reply with quote

Thanks Stripped! I have an older version of your engine as my screen saver 😅.

Think my #1 bearing's thrust interference is too tight, messing with the radial clearance. I need to investigate. It's not spinning as smoothly as I'd like. The bearing measured fine in the saddle.

Think I put this gear backwards 🤔. Thought that raised area was a built-in racer spacer....nope.

bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing Reply with quote

Check Everything! The #4 exhaust valve hanging up on a casting bump after the thrust bearing:

Did some quick filing, and got some needed clearance. I'll do more later. Just need to do cam timing and see where my decks are.

bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing Reply with quote

JFats808 gave me this tool years ago: it's one of the best tools I have - just a stock lifter with a half pushrod epoxied in.

Case is closed up now.

bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing Reply with quote

Really good conversation so far guys! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Cut my 48 intakes down to 44. Manley doesn't have a single groove Type 4 valve smaller than 48 for the intake. It's pointless to have a 48mm intake valve unless you're up in the 280+ horsepower range. I'll clamp the barrels down and figure what I need to cut tomorrow. The offset side of the piston points to the top of 1 and 2, and down on 3 and 4, so the arrows need reversing for VW apps.

Really good news: a nice guy sent me some Pauter rockers. They may go on this. Not sure yet.

The lower head studs are shorter than the tops.

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing Reply with quote

Ha!
I didn't put together that the other thread was you..

What is that pushrod tool? A way to measure lift?
Always did them in matched pairs to do 'split overlap' and verify cam timing.

I NEVER trust an arrow on the top of a piston anymore..
Those China AAs they just put it on for decoration.
Nobody ever told them what they were for..
Measure the pin offset and you'll see. Razz

No wonder those lifter heads hit the cam.
They're from a different kind of motor!
Laughing

What’s That Noise?!?
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing Reply with quote

those rockers are rarer than rocking horse poo .
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Ha!
I didn't put together that the other thread was you..

What is that pushrod tool? A way to measure lift?
Always did them in matched pairs to do 'split overlap' and verify cam timing.

I NEVER trust an arrow on the top of a piston anymore..
Those China AAs they just put it on for decoration.
Nobody ever told them what they were for..
Measure the pin offset and you'll see. Razz

No wonder those lifter heads hit the cam.
They're from a different kind of motor!
Laughing

Lol! Hey Clatter! It's to measure the profile of the cam, and compare it to manufacturer's specs. I'll use this to set compression, among other things.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
those rockers are rarer than rocking horse poo .

Been searching for awhile. I think I have a line on a second set.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing Reply with quote

Pretty sure my LSA is 112° 😕. It's advertised as a 106°. May not be a bad thing though. I'ma do more investigating later. I want the majority of my power to be from about 4K-7.5K. You think 112 is fine?

bj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing Reply with quote

where did you get that pulley and hub from?

i got mine from Steel Buggin (if i remember right), but doesn't look like your pulley...the pockets on mine aren't machined out all the way.

BJ
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing Reply with quote

bj wrote:
where did you get that pulley and hub from?

i got mine from Steel Buggin (if i remember right), but doesn't look like your pulley...the pockets on mine aren't machined out all the way.

BJ

You have the smaller diameter, I think. This one is 5 1/2".
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing Reply with quote

With that Q cam, I'm around 290°@.050". I expected it was going to fall short, but was dead-on. Looking at a smaller cam around 275°, so I can run around 12.2:1 cr on 91, and peak at 7,500ish rpm. That Q wants to rev beyond 9,000 rpm.

Don't take those exhaust numbers to the bank. Measured fast with a small pulley.

Anybody know how to pop this sensor out without damaging it? Thinking the only way is to grind it and punch it out.

ARP flywheel bolts arrived

Measured dome volume. 100mm piston, .106" dome height, the flat portion was .250" down the hole - 44cc. If I'm not mistaken, that's 5.91cc.

Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: 100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing Reply with quote

CB2300 . 274 @'0.050 . in open 31 BTDC close 63 ABDC , 0.428" lift at the cam .

or a Web 86C .
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:

or a Web 86C .

That's a Type 1 cam.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Wreck wrote:

or a Web 86C .

That's a Type 1 cam.

Not when you ask CB if they can use the CB2300 master to grind a Type 4 billet . Very Happy

I'm very happy with it . plus they didn't charge any more than their normal type 4 cams .
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing Reply with quote

Bugguy1967, How much torque will you be putting on those flywheel bolts. I need a set for my oxyboxer, also are the liners you will be running birals.

What fluid did you use in your burette.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing Reply with quote

Bad bug wrote:
Bugguy1967, How much torque will you be putting on those flywheel bolts. I need a set for my oxyboxer, also are the liners you will be running birals.

What fluid did you use in your burette.

The hardware spec is 98 lb-ft. I have an extra set, if needed.

Yes. Old nos EMPI birals.
sweetlokin66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 100x71 Type 4 Build For Local Course Racing Reply with quote

Great thread - with that CR are you looking into e85?

Turbo type 4
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=134157

66 NA hard top

****Insert event here****
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: