Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

When is a doghouse cooler absolutely needed
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: When is a doghouse cooler absolutely needed Reply with quote

For my 63 t1 I want to keep the 40 hp fan (6volts) and shroud. Will it give sufficent cooling for either a mild 1385, or a mild 1584 single port?

My 912 seems to be fine with the stock inside housing cooler.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: When is a doghouse cooler absolutely needed Reply with quote

bcrazy wrote:
For my 63 t1 I want to keep the 40 hp fan (6volts) and shroud. Will it give sufficent cooling for either a mild 1385, or a mild 1584 single port?

Absolutely. Just remember that engine load = heat. So, unless you're driving it like you stole it, it should be sufficient. Will it be optimal? Probably doesn't matter and it probably won't be the death of your engine.

To answer the question in your title, a doghouse shroud/cooler is necessary when your sustained driving conditions produces more heat than the 40hp fan/shroud can cool. Monitoring CHT and oil temp will tell you if that's the case. Just understand that a doghouse shroud isn't the end-all solution, as many higher-HP engines can exceed the ability of the cooling system to reject heat; it comes back to moderating your driving habits.

I don't think electrickery works that way

Last edited by Stripped66 on Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: When is a doghouse cooler absolutely needed Reply with quote

I guess it depends on what you will be doing with the car.

I installed a dh shroud on a 1600 sp in a 70 Bus wanting to make sure it would never have a chance to overheat with its new owner cruising around town. I installed a venturi ring like the FI shrouds have, and all the flaps/thermostat. It stayed at 180f degrees at any speed below 60mph.

Will you need it, probably not. I would much rather have the additional cooling, and have the thermostat control it, than not have the fan be able to keep up in a certain instance. From my understanding you would need to drill the center cooling holes in a wide fan for an early generator backing plate, but the only other identifying thing different would be the top of the dh cooler sheet metal.

A 912 has much greater cooling surface area on the heads, and aluminum cylinders, so they are of no comparison to a 63 T1 VW engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: When is a doghouse cooler absolutely needed Reply with quote

The OG 36/early40hp shroud is all I use for all the engine I build no matter how big and powerful they are. Yes I do some mods to the system for max performance. A head temp gauge is the key to know where your at. Dan
bcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: When is a doghouse cooler absolutely needed Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
The OG 36/early40hp shroud is all I use for all the engine I build no matter how big and powerful they are. Yes I do some mods to the system for max performance. A head temp gauge is the key to know where your at. Dan

What mods do you do?
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: When is a doghouse cooler absolutely needed Reply with quote

bcrazy wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:

What mods do you do?

I block the flow of oil to the cooler so it runs cold and run a external oil cooler to make up for that. On big engines I mod the shroud to use the larger DH fan.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: