Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

is the fill plug submerged while driving??

otherwise you'd get splash - so low readings of what you really want to know
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

Its not submerged per say, but at highway speeds there is a heck of a squall going on in there. Im fairly certain temps would be similar at the fill or drain.
CaliforniaVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

Hi!
I am in contact with boxeer because of these magnetic bushings for the transmission.

Unfortunatly he hasnt these in stock, he said, if we would take 10 of these bushings, he would make some new ones for us.

The price will be 65$ per piece....

Sodo wrote:
GoWesty is more for the filler plug, but of course it works on the drain plug too. But as a drain plug bushing it would delete the super-important magnet.)

I'd go Boxeer for sure. Them you are measuring oil temp AND you have a neodymium magnet.

============

Boxeer seems to be relying on their reputation and engineering expertise, and don't appear to understand that relatively few people are aware of those traits they offer the Vanagon customer.....
Boxeer needs some sales help.
This is a classical problem with engineers tasked with all the complications of creation, production, business, and "sales".
Which can be a mixed blessing - because as a small business they may be unable to supply the volumes that better salesmanship would provide....
There's never enough time in a day, or enough quality help.

Well anyway here's a few important details lacking from their sales pitch.
They could easily tell everyone these details directly on their website for "free" (and 24/7/365 )
rather than wait for some transaxle obsessed forum nut to put on a Boxeer hat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Missing from Boxeer sales pitch:
    -point out the neodymium ring magnet.
    -tell you the thread specification (of the sensor hole).
    -show you a pic of exactly what you will receive which is ONLY a bushing (with the magnet)

Leave 1 or 2 questions unanswered and the customer buys "nothing".
Answer all questions?
^^This results in <add to cart> (24/7/365)

They could to show a pic of the Bosch guage kit that they recommend.
They showing that the gauge kit includes the sensor that fits their product.
Better yet, they should simply stock and sell the guage, even if they had to buy it from Amazon for $22. Make up a 100% kit that leaves zero guesswork and 100% confidence for the customer.

Unless I've made a mistake...... (But I'm not a Boxeer rep, I'm just a forum guy)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's what you get from Amazon for $22. The adapters are 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" (not used). Nobody cares if it's $22 or $40. If Boxeer offerred that gauge kit for $40 people will happily <add to cart> even those who know it's $22 on Amazon. The "certainty" that it will bolt onto your van is worth $18 more.

Anyway I bet they're too busy to deal with small things like this. But its only a few minutes work, and it sells 24/7/365 "for free".
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

I'm down for one. I've emailed him multiple times about getting one but he never responds.
CaliforniaVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I'm down for one. I've emailed him multiple times about getting one but he never responds.

The same with me...but at the second mail he answered me
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty's Transaxle Plug with Temp Sensor Reply with quote

With regards to transaxle temperature, I would NOT buy a "transmission temp" guage that has a range to 280F.

If you have one already, and your trans never even gets to 160, then I guess all is good, but as it gets older (or summer gets hotter) you might wanna know what's happening in the 160-180 range.

With a Vanagon, if you see 180, you need to change your speed or load such that transaxle temperature drops.
Around 180F, the mainshaft bearing is loose in its bore. It loses contact with the housing and its ability to transfer heat out to the housing.
And wears the bore even looser.
And the shafts move apart.
It's bad.
I would not care in the slightest about 200+
(I'd be changing my shorts Shocked ! )
What I'd wanna know is, if I saw 180F, is it dropping or climbing?

Get a guage that has some tic marks in the vicinity of 140-180F (60-82C)
Who cares what the number is beyond 180F?
You need to slow down.

===== warning: transaxle geek stuff =======

I did some testing the other day and found that on a brand new Aluminum gear carrier housing, the mainshaft bearing "taps out" of the bore at 195F then falls out at 205F.

In the past I thought 180F was a drop-dead no-no, but now with some testing realize that a NEW Aluminum gear carrier can tolerate a little higher.

But an old original Magnesium gear carrier might let the bearing loose at 180F.....
So I think the 180F is still a good absolute maximum temp for a good, solid transaxle known to be in good condition.
With a really old gear worn carrier housing, the bearings probably loose at room temperature.
I have one of those, where the bearing drops out at room temp.

For prudence, 160F is a better maximum, especially if your transaxle is "unknown condition".

EJ25, Peloquin diff, locker, transaxle oil cooler/filtration system
....KTMs, GasGas, and a Stumpjumper
Gear oil is like underwear.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: