Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pulled two ovals out of a barn
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OvalPair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Pulled two ovals out of a barn Reply with quote

Do they count as barn finds if they have been in your in-laws barn for the last 20+ years? Laughing

Rolled a 57 out that my father in law has owned since the 60s and a 54 that is my wife’s that was given to her a few decades ago by a family friend.

The 54 is home with me now to start restoring and the 57 will be getting the same treatment at my FILs. This is the first old VW I’ve ever touched so sorry for the noob questions in advance, I’m sure there will be a ton.

I forgot to take any pics of them in the actual barn unfortunately. Sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OvalPair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulled two ovals out of a barn Reply with quote

Will focus on the 54 first, they had started working on it before it went into the barn. One floor pan had been replaced and the car stripped.

I know the deck lid is incorrect so a W is currently being searched for. There is damage to the rear quarter and some funky welding on the inside quarter as well but can’t for the life of my figure out what from.

The goal is to build a nice driver, quite the project ahead of me.

OvalPair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulled two ovals out of a barn Reply with quote

Here is the funky welding in the quarter and the main damage to the car that will need to be repaired, at least that I have found so far.

The passenger pan was replaced with the body on the car, the old one cut up to the frame and the new one placed on top. I haven’t decided yet if I want to lift the body off and repair it correctly or not but I probably will. If you’re going to do something might as well do it right IMO.

OvalPair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulled two ovals out of a barn Reply with quote

Also found this, what in the world did they do this for? It’s in two spots on the tunnel.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulled two ovals out of a barn Reply with quote

NICE!!!!!!

More Bugs..More FUN!

That heater channel is a late model channel, on the one with the pan welded into it. But why did they have to cut and paste the metal at the quarter panel window. That is some strange stuff. Accident? Even my current rusty Bug had only minimal damage from mother nature in that spot. The B pillar was toast at the bottom. Weird.

You may just find out as you restore that one. It is funny how the past can be deciphered from just restoring the Bug.

Keep it coming, with WAY MORE pictures! I like looking more than reading, as many on here do!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulled two ovals out of a barn Reply with quote

OvalPair wrote:
Also found this, what in the world did they do this for? It’s in two spots on the tunnel.

Trying to repair a rusty cable conduit or rewelding a broken weld. The clutch cable can sometimes become disjointed from the tunnel, from wear. The repair is to cut open the tunnel (not like that) and repair. Then weld the hole back up. They must have missed the memo!

The other two spots that the clutch cable is welded is on the back side of the pedal cluster and on the backside of the emergency brake handle. Is the other hole in one of those two spots?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
OvalPair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulled two ovals out of a barn Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Trying to repair a rusty cable conduit or rewelding a broken weld. The clutch cable can sometimes become disjointed from the tunnel, from wear. The repair is to cut open the tunnel (not like that) and repair. Then weld the hole back up. They must have missed the memo!

The other two spots that the clutch cable is welded is on the back side of the pedal cluster and on the backside of the emergency brake handle. Is the other hole in one of those two spots?

Here is the only other spot I found but there is more deadner or whatever that stuff is to remove.

OvalPair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulled two ovals out of a barn Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
NICE!!!!!!

More Bugs..More FUN!

That heater channel is a late model channel, on the one with the pan welded into it. But why did they have to cut and paste the metal at the quarter panel window. That is some strange stuff. Accident? Even my current rusty Bug had only minimal damage from mother nature in that spot. The B pillar was toast at the bottom. Weird.

You may just find out as you restore that one. It is funny how the past can be deciphered from just restoring the Bug.

Keep it coming, with WAY MORE pictures! I like looking more than reading, as many on here do!

Thank you! I’ve read your entire thread back to front, appreciate all the details and pictures you posted.

This 54 has def been in a small accident on that same rear of the damaged quarter but not enough to need any repair where the welds are. And the exterior quarter looks undamaged from what I can tell but haven’t stripped the paint off yet.

So here’s where it buckled the passenger rear. The tray and wheelwell area also looks to have come undone from the quarter as you can see in the pics.

OvalPair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulled two ovals out of a barn Reply with quote

My FIL bought all 4 repop fenders many years ago as the originals I guess had been butchered up by the previous owner. Here’s the tag on them, anyone recognize it and are they decent repops?

Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulled two ovals out of a barn Reply with quote

I did use lots of the maxicar italian made fenders back in the nineties. They did fit very good compared to other brands back than.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulled two ovals out of a barn Reply with quote

So, that’s an odd buckle of the steel at the firewall/luggage shelf. Usually, the inner fender well just breaks free of the spot welds. That must of been a good hit! Betting that there is more evidence of the accident. Maybe it was a side impact. That would go along with the B pillar and rear quarter area issues.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Pulled two ovals out of a barn Reply with quote

My car is kinda the same way:

In the case of my car it was too much off-roading by the original owner. I've never seen so many stress fractures on an old beetle before.

BTW I'm still amazed at how much gas welding there is on an old beetle.

Don
OvalPair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Pulled two ovals out of a barn Reply with quote

Just a note, it's crazy how much the correct parts are for this car. For example I went to find 54 taillights and about passed out.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Pulled two ovals out of a barn Reply with quote

Quote:
Just a note, it's crazy how much the correct parts are for this car. For example I went to find 54 taillights and about passed out.

The reason we think this is because we are a bunch of cheap bastards. Try restoring a Jag or worse, a Ferrari. A couple of hun on tail lights is peanuts in the bigger picture.

Don
OvalPair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pulled two ovals out of a barn Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Quote:

The reason we think this is because we are a bunch of cheap bastards. Try restoring a Jag or worse, a Ferrari. A couple of hun on tail lights is peanuts in the bigger picture.

Don

Haha very true. Im coming from working on 60s GM and Ford cars where parts are a dime a dozen so this is all a shock to me.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulled two ovals out of a barn Reply with quote

OvalPair wrote:

Looks like later rear brake drums on the '57. Could be evidence of a transaxle swap. (Fully synchro trans?)

OvalPair wrote:
Will focus on the 54 first, they had started working on it before it went into the barn.

The '57 looks like a more complete car. I think I would have started with that one and applied what I learned to the '54. There were several major changes made for '56, including the doors, strikers, gas tank, floorpans, seats and all seat mountings, making the earlier car more of a challenge to restore.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulled two ovals out of a barn Reply with quote

Rollover damage is commonplace on pre-March 1956 bugs, built before the ground clearance was lowered 17mm.

Look for evidence of gutter repairs and fender replacements on one side. Rolled cars often will have popped spot welds, especially in the rear quarters. Uneven door gaps are also a telltale sign.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulled two ovals out of a barn Reply with quote

OvalPair wrote:

once you get into the 55 and earlier cars, it's a whole different game, at least compared to any other beetle. A set of early seat frames costs more than the complete interior for a mid 60's car.
I just priced the interior for my 52 zwitter and had to sit down for a while.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulled two ovals out of a barn Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
. . . The '57 looks like a more complete car. I think I would have started with that one and applied what I learned to the '54. There were several major changes made for '56, including the doors, strikers, gas tank, floorpans, seats and all seat mountings, making the earlier car more of a challenge to restore.

I would tend to agree with this recommendation.

Regarding those repop fenders . . . early (pre 1958) Beetle front fenders have some beautiful curves that are absent on most reproduction front fenders . . . using them will make an Oval-window look quite poor.

The repop rear fenders aren't much better! Way better to save what you have . . . at least for your '57!
You might want to step up to these for the ' 54 . . . https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24%2D111%2D821%2D022%2DC
OvalPair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulled two ovals out of a barn Reply with quote

I would love to do the 57 as it only need patch panels in the pans but unfortunately the 54 is my wife’s and the one on my plate Laughing

Speaking of seats, I have both front and back but not sure if they are correct for the year. They also have some terrible welding on them at the base as you can see in the pics.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: