Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

KDF Speedo Pod?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

We know that in '49 they swapped the position of indicator lights in the pods. with the oil light being on the left early, and on the right after (and yes, the other lights swapped sides too).

I am trying to ID this pod. It is purportedly a KDF era pod, but has details of a later pod. Green light on the right. Brass ground fork (I know that '46 and '47 pods had a steel ground fork). Unfortunately it is broken off so I can't see any date code that might have been there. It is missing an extra brass block terminal that is above the wiper dome light switch (when the fork is on the other side as in '46-'49. So it has a lot of the features of a late '49 and up, but a Cogwheel VW logo....!

Is it possible that in '44 the green light was on the right, sometime after they swapped sides, then in '49 they swapped back again? Anyone have any pics of or docs of KDF era pods that show the light positions? TIA

Also, is anyone reproducing the large black knobs for these?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

progressive refinements (page 244) has the warning lights swap happening jan 1950 chassis 1-0140537, body 89 656.
could it be possible that they were using up the batch of cog-wheel bakelite panels at that time...?

in the owners manuals section https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type1.php
there are manuals for a 46 (see pages 37,3Cool a nov 49 (page 24) and feb 50.
interestingly the feb 50 manual still shows the lights in their old position!

these guys do knobs
http://www.repuestossam.com/en/beetle/split/s042.html

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

I have a pod date coded 12.49 where the lights are already swapped, but I know that is the date/month the pod was made, not the manufacture of the split that it was installed in by VW.

I looked at pics of past early pods I restored, a '46 and two '47s and a '48 and none had cogwheel logo'ed pods.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

NOS black split dash knob / switch batch. - in thesamba classifieds
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
NOS black split dash knob / switch batch. - in thesamba classifieds

Ad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2155625

Those are the wrong ones for a KdF, they should be larger

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

this lady might know...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote - "Those are the wrong ones for a KdF, they should be larger "...

zen wrote - "Oh"

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

finster wrote:
this lady might know...

That is one of my favorite split era factory pictures. Cool testing fixture and all of those pristine pods. I often look at the people in those early pictures and think about the fact that just five or six years earlier, WW2 had just ended.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
finster wrote:
this lady might know...

That is one of my favorite split era factory pictures. Cool testing fixture and all of those pristine pods. I often look at the people in those early pictures and think about the fact that just five or six years earlier, WW2 had just ended.

I think about those people when I am restoring stuff. Like did they ever think that 70 years later, someone would be trying to make their "work" look like new again.

For this pod pic, I also wonder if it was actually in a VW factory, or at the place that made the pods (the Circle K logo that is on them). Today, every manufacturer/supplier would be responsible for functionality tests like are going on in that pic, but maybe back then, VW would set up the resources to test a supplier's part before using it in production.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:
finster wrote:
this lady might know...

I think about those people when I am restoring stuff. Like did they ever think that 70 years later, someone would be trying to make their "work" look like new again.

For this pod pic, I also wonder if it was actually in a VW factory, or at the place that made the pods (the Circle K logo that is on them). Today, every manufacturer/supplier would be responsible for functionality tests like are going on in that pic, but maybe back then, VW would set up the resources to test a supplier's part before using it in production.

Good question. There is a pile of what I assume are pods wrapped in paper to her left. Now are those from the vendor and she does the testing or are they tested and wrapped to go to VW?

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

And it would seem odd that VW would build a test jig for something made by another company, but again, things were just done differently then.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

On the subject of KDF era dash pods, the one in the picture below, a Kubel item, sold on German Ebay recently, 31st December 2020 to be precise, by somebody in Boden, Germany, which sold for the sum of 5,728.90 Euros, plus delivery!

I can just about remember the time when you could buy a complete Kibel for that price! Little did the person taking this off a Kubel know what price it would fetch in the future.

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
And it would seem odd that VW would build a test jig for something made by another company, but again, things were just done differently then.

It's just QC. The medical diagnostics manufacturer that I used to work for did incoming QC on a lot of the parts we had made for our products.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

I don't think a Kubel would have had a 100km speedometer.

Heinz Nordhoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:

Well it looks to me that the green/oil light is on the right there, concur?

If so, then those are the "late split: positions which, *if* that is truly a KDF era pod, would confirm that they did flip the indicator positions some time in the early 40s, then back again in late '49. But I wouldn't believe it unless I could see a pic of the backside of that Kubel pod and see a cogwheel logo. Maybe unlikely (and would suck for the person who paid $6+ for it apparently), but they could have just faked it with a common standard split pod.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

These photos should help you make up your mind! Note that there is even a KDF key.

SplitPersonality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

The pictures of this Kubel-dash....it all looks fake to me. I would not trust these parts for reference.
SplitPersonality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

Repro "fat" face-dial on the speedo, black plastic big knobs....
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

Hi JH.
Just looking at your photo where the toggle bolt mounts it to the dash. Is that brown paint scraped off? I assumed they were raw bakalite not painted?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: KDF Speedo Pod? Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
I don't think a Kubel would have had a 100km speedometer.

maybe it was a RennKuebel?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: