Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups? Reply with quote

I know the topic is LiFePO4 powered hot water systems but since it has come up here is another heat exchanger system.
http://www.drivenachodrive.com/about-nacho/water3/

I have planned on doing a heat exchanger system for a while now using an off the shelf plate style exchanger.
Something like this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-12-90-Plate-Heat-Exchan...SwjqFf~Tb~

However, I guess I never really thought about the potential for coolant leaking into the water.

That makes me think more about building something into which I might be able to design a few failsafes.

Not sure what those failsafes would be as I have only started thinking about them but surely with some proper monitoring and construction I could build something that I am comfortable with.

Anyway sorry to keep derailing the LiFePO4 heater talk.
I still think that is doable and after watching a bunch of Everlander vids on youtube I am really starting to think harder about an all electric camp set up.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups? Reply with quote

Hi Rorke, I went down a similar path even going as far as acquiring a heating element from alibaba, Ultimately i gave up on the project having never implemented it. I do think that an efficient heat exchaner setup may be the way to fly here, unless you are in an area with a lot of direct sun and the water is getting up to temp that way and you are using the battery & heating coil just to top things off.

In terms of heat exchangers, give these guys a look, well developed system for our use case

https://glind.com.au/shop/
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups? Reply with quote

Quote:
If glycol leaks, it can easily be fatal or lead to permanent kidney and liver damage. the plumbing code, not that it applies here, prohibits this sort of device.

so put me on record as saying "please please please don't do this"

Thank you for pointing this out, this was unknown to me, how deadly it is. Possibly for others too.
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups? Reply with quote

Quote:

Single pump, two lines, one goes to/from a propane-fired Truma ultrastore. Fairly compact at 2.5gallon, enough for dishes and a shower. Standard RV stuff. My thought is we already have propane, might as well use it.

Now that I'm spoiled I'd probably use this or the eccotemp (or knockoff) if I didn't already have a setup. For long voyages, it cuts down on laundry and eliminates our previous desire to stay in a hotel about 2/7 days on the road. Not to mention ease of dishwashing. I'm officially (s)old.

Do you have any picture of the install? Anything to get a sense of proportion and size?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups? Reply with quote

Just to point out.......

Your road shower is long and skinny right?
A fancy pipe mounted on the roof........ lying on its side..... horizontal.

You are going to put an electric element in one end.

Have you ever seen an electric water heater?

Tall and narrow standing vertically ...... right?

Where is the heater element? Yep, near the bottom (sometimes there are two, one a bit higher)

Why do you think that the heater is vertical and the element is towards the bottom?

What do you know about properties of hot or cold gases and liquids?

Yep..... warmth rises...... cold falls ....... naturally..... self circulating.

How is the cold water at the front of a horizontal pipe going to get to the hot element at the rear of the horizontal pipe?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheMonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups? Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
One Samba poster showed years ago a setup he created to use the heat from engine coolant (taking a supply from the rear heater core plumbing) to transfer heat into the Westfalia water tank via a coil of 1/4" ID copper tubing in the water tank. The engine coolant flow was controlled by an electrically-controlled valve connected to a thermostat. He insulated the tank and the water stayed warm overnight and into the following day. YMMV in low ambient temps. I think that even with a high-current DC to DC charger to re-charge your flat LiFePo4 battery after a shower, the engine run time needed to re-charge the LiFePo4 battery bank would likely exceed the engine run time needed to heat your shower water with the system shown below.

Here is a link you might find useful:

http://www.griffco.ca/VW/vwshower.htm

As for using a LiFePo4 battery to heat water, this is not a good idea due to the tremendous
amount of electrical energy required to heat even small quantities of water. If you had, say, a 48 volt system with 600Ah, then the electric approach might be warranted. With our small "Swiss-Army-Knife" Vanagon-based campers, this much battery and the long heating times involved are just not worth it. In my opinion, using 12v battery power to make heat is a wasteful exercise. Propane does the job better, faster, and cheaper since you don't have to multiply the size of your battery bank. I love the compact nature of the Vanagon Westfalia for many reasons. Small is good, but it requires some compromises.

I am piecing together a 280Ah LiFePo4 system just so I don`t run out of power from my TF-65 fridge in summer and Chinese Diesel Heater in winter. Many times in summer, especially last summer in our heat-waves, unless I had a campsite with no tree-shading of my solar panels, I ran out of battery too soon. LiFePo4 will change all that. My ambitions for using this technology are modest.

Here, in Australia, a local VW camper conversion company Trakka used a similar system to warm a Vanagon's (kombi here) onboard water reservoir.

So on the water cooled models, the vans domestic water tank, being slung beneath the floor, had an isolated tube running within the length of the tank. The engine's outbound cooling hose was connected to this tube and heat transfered into the domestic water tank. The hose, of course, then continued up to the radiator and returned as normal.

I'm sure it must be a well used method of heating water on our vans but I can't recall seeing this method mentioned here. Unfortunately I can't employ this heating source, I have an aircooled Vanagon.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups? Reply with quote

No problem using even a glycol exchanger for non-potable water like a shower. I don’t drink anything from any of our mobile water systems, it’s strictly for Washup. Your coolant level sensor is a perfect detector of leaks in Any event
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups? Reply with quote

owokie wrote:

Is this the right thread to brag about the hot water sink/shower my Westy came from the factory with?

Um... Brag? How about just telling me/us what factory install did this? I have not heard of it, and I am so very interested now!!

Pictures? Layout? Historical references?

-bobby
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups? Reply with quote

Thank you Samba braintrust.

Running coolant lines to a modified stock tank, or an under belly tank between the passenger rails, or in a modified tank replacing the spare - are all cool ideas.
Not what I want to pursue...for now. 1 - I have a storage box between the rails. 2 - The other tanks can't be pressurized easily. 3 - We drink out of the stock tank regularly.

280ah batteries are ordered.
Easy install. These will take up less space than my existing 110ah gel battery, which is under the bus. However, I have my bus stripped and the trans is out, so it would be a good time to copy Jokerus's over the trans battery box, which I like because I could warm up the batteries to a good charging temp by running the engine

Alternator -
130 amp Tribeca alternator. Simple. Thanks Sodo.

Charger -
I am trying to figure out the best dc to dc charger. The redarc manager is pretty cool. I just wish it pumped through about 30% more charge.

Solar -
undecided. I like chucking stuff up in the luggage compartment. Now I use a flexible 100w panel that I slide in between the upper bunk cushions. Simple, light, but not much power.

Heating elements
I just ordered a second 700watt 12v heating element. These will run off separate breakers. Each will be positioned on opposite ends of the tank. Two elements will heat a full tank faster. If I have less water, then I can use only one, which would ideally be the lower of the two. I suppose if I am really low on water, then the bus would have to be tilted to put enough water around the element.
The element manufacturer says that the psi of the tank is zero problem. That is a big deal because the whole reason I got the fancy aluminum tank is so I can pressurize it big time.

Breaker panel -
Undecided. I like the mechanical old school ones more than electronic. Simple and free from the boat junkyards nearby.

Tank insulation -
Undecided. I intend to test the system before focusing on thickness vs. removability vs. stowability.

I have concluded that when I am driving, I can only heat the water if I have a pretty full tank. because of the sloshing. Evidently, the element can never be powered dry.
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups? Reply with quote

I also ordered up the gowesty city water fill port.

If the electric water system works, then I should be able to run the roadshower hose to the city port for (non potable) hot water.

The gowesty port has a built in check valve. We'll see.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups? Reply with quote

I like this thinking - and the OP solution may be best for him - but for others, those gas space heaters from Webasto etc...could heat your water. I think they make combo units.

also there are some units that do tap into your coolant lines to heat water.

Again - probably not what OP wants, but maybe helpful for others...

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups? Reply with quote

There are so many ways to skin cats.

Last season, we dialed in the EccoTemp propane heater. Pretty easy to hook up. It hangs on the RMW ladder, taps right into the propane extension (aftermarket), then quick connects to a shower head suctioned on the side window or hung through the back under the bus depot hatch tent for privacy.

Matching the flow rate to the desired temperature is an acquired skill. It can be frustrating, especially because the initial water temp can vary tremendously.

Mostly though, it is just a pain in the nuts to store. It is big, leaky, and awkward. But I dealt with it regularly because I am very much into all of the benefits of being clean and having a happy woman.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups? Reply with quote

Rorke wrote:
But I dealt with it regularly because I am very much into all of the benefits of ... having a happy woman.

You are smart.... very smart... Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups? Reply with quote

Unfortunately the Truma dont sell to aftermarket here in the US. I have investigated this extensively. Not even if they installl it. I was told from Truma as late as this morning, the only option was to specify it when ordering a new RV. d'oh! Brick wall

Now, there is some gray market sellers of the propane only version of the Truma Combi eco, but its questionable if one can even get it repaired if needed later. The electric/propane version is impossible to source in the US. This would have effectively been 4 units on one, perfect for our small rigs, albeit not cheap. But if you sum up the cost of gas heater, electric water heater, propane water heater + electric heater, all in one nice compact well functioning silent combo, it doesnt look so bad.

Unfortunately, its not possible to get. And of course, the euro version is the wrong voltage.
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups? Reply with quote

tilstad wrote:
Unfortunately the Truma dont sell to aftermarket here in the US. I have investigated this extensively. Not even if they installl it. I was told from Truma as late as this morning, the only option was to specify it when ordering a new RV. d'oh! Brick wall

Now, there is some gray market sellers of the propane only version of the Truma Combi eco, but its questionable if one can even get it repaired if needed later. The electric/propane version is impossible to source in the US. This would have effectively been 4 units on one, perfect for our small rigs, albeit not cheap. But if you sum up the cost of gas heater, electric water heater, propane water heater + electric heater, all in one nice compact well functioning silent combo, it doesnt look so bad.

Unfortunately, its not possible to get. And of course, the euro version is the wrong voltage.

Bah, just ship it to a friend in Europe or use a reshipper. Easy peasy wifey squeezy. I'm of course only interested in the propane-fired ones, and they use 12v here and there, so no issues....

I've reached the conclusion that the pursuit of electric hot water at this point only makes sense if you love projects and solving problems in unique ways. It ain't gonna be cheaper or more efficient.

Spoiled:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups? Reply with quote

Rorke wrote:

Equipment:
RoadShower with 8 gallon capacity. (I am using this mostly because I have one)

the OP is planning on heating pressurized water?

BiWerks Design, LLC
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups? Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
Rorke wrote:

Equipment:
RoadShower with 8 gallon capacity. (I am using this mostly because I have one)

the OP is planning on heating pressurized water?

You do it every day, all day in your house.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups? Reply with quote

Zodi makes a canister unit that you heat on a stove , then pump to pressurize , then shower.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups? Reply with quote

When do you ever shower? Cool

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot water using new LiFePo4 set ups? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

You do it every day, all day in your house.

my hot water tank has a blow off valve for a reason.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: