Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Tale of Two Westys
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: A Tale of Two Westys Reply with quote

A Tale of Two Westys.

Short story, one will be sold. eventually.

Van One, my beloved 87 Westy that my wife and i had when we raised our kids. sold it to a friend 13 years ago non-running, tired and worn. he kept it in a storage unit for 12 years and i ended up buying it back from him untouched, trailering it back home. rebuilt the engine, rebuilt the transaxle, brakes, sealed tank, fuel lines, stainless exhaust, oil cooler with fan, stripped AC (GREAT rear vision and head room) and on and on and on. it is well sorted out. added aux batt and 100 watts of solar. took it to the east coast 3600 miles and it ran without a *single* glitch. nada. i love this van but the exterior has seam rust, dinged slider door but a very nice and clean interior.

Van Two. unplanned in my Westy adventures, i bought a gorgeous 89 Westy from my good friend that has had it 10 years and upgraded to a Mercedes-based RV. immaculate exterior and interior. 190k miles, runs great, shifts great, brakes great, no rust, beautiful paint. it LOOKS 100% ready to go but really needs fuel lines, the 3-4 slider pre-emptively replaced, some motor mounts, and because i'm a worrier, the con-rods. which then of course means rebuild the engine as long as it is open. and then why wouldn't you replace heads and add a stainless exhaust and do the CVs, wheel bearings, etc. could easily drop $10k in refurbishing it with a boughten engine and transaxle or i can do it myself for less $. odd thing is, this dang engine runs smoother at idle and stronger thru the gears than my rebuilt. tempts me to leave the internals alone.

my inclination, much to the contrary of everyone that sees the gorgeous 89, is to keep the ratty 87, fix the 89 up as i'd want it to be, and sell it for a nice sum as a retirement project 2 years down the road as the cash would be significant to me given my financials. with GoWesty discontinuing the refurb>resell part of their business, i think there's a market for a really nice van all sorted out. for me, there's a freedom in driving a van you don't worry about getting scratched or dinged, meaning our 87, and it has sentimental value. on the other hand, i have the means to make a really nice van for myself that would be a head turner for years to come, if that is a value to be sought. or i could simply flip it as is, but i'll have the buyer know what it needs.

thoughts, guffaws, and snide remarks?

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Westys Reply with quote

No snide remarks here, sounds like a solid plan and is often done with the more attractive vehicle easier to sell even when you tell people how much mechanical refurbishment also went into it( they fixate on the beauty.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes )
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Westys Reply with quote

I'd be tempted to keep both for now. Drive and enjoy your old "87 and tinker with the '89 until it's where you want it. Then decide on if and which to sell.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Westys Reply with quote

I think your plan to keep the family '87 and eventually sell the '89 (refurbed or as is) is a great one. You'll never have the memories in the '89 that you have in the '87, and a solid but scruffy westy is a nice thing to have... I do. Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Westys Reply with quote

Daily drive the nice one so that you and your wife don't have to feel ashamed to be seen cruising around town. Use the older one for weekends and trips. in two years, when you have done some of the moderately expensive upgrades, decide if you want to sell it. Personally, i believe that a year or so after the pandemic has passed there will be a glut of RVs of all kinds on the matket

Hans
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Westys Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:
Daily drive the nice one so that you and your wife don't have to feel ashamed to be seen cruising around town. Hans

Hans- had to chuckle at this because we live in a fairly impoverished area deep in the rust belt. my pickup has a HOLE the size of a saucer in the door from rust and it leaves a shower of rust flakes everytime i slam the door closed. so, no shame in driving a beater here. besides, all the hipsters still enthusiastically give me the thumbs up!

www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Westys Reply with quote

Well, then it's a no brainier; the '89 goes!

Hans
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Westys Reply with quote

Totally solid plan. My van is much like your 87. I enjoy the fact that I don't worry about scratches. As much as I love looking at a cosmetically perfect van, I don't think I'd enjoy a garage queen like that!

Go forth!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Westys Reply with quote

I think it’s a year to go slow. Drive the 89 around a bit and feel its chi.

In a year or two the path to elightenment will be clear of the fog of Covid and when you come to a 3/4 shifter fork in the road , take it.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Westys Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
hdenter wrote:
Daily drive the nice one so that you and your wife don't have to feel ashamed to be seen cruising around town. Hans
...my pickup has a HOLE the size of a saucer in the door from rust and it leaves a shower of rust flakes everytime i slam the door closed. so, no shame in driving a beater here...

There is just something freeing about driving a beater. We who do know the feeling of success and relief when reaching our destination with that old car that most people treat like a discarded mask found behind the Covid ward.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Westys Reply with quote

remember when you come to that fork in the road to bear left
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Westys Reply with quote

first off, thanks for the input. it surprised me with many of you saying keep the ratty but reliable one. still not decided but i certainly wouldn't get much for mine vs the sweet one.

here's a rhetorical question... the gorgeous 89 has 190K miles with new heads sometime in it's history. it runs super strong, faster than my rebuilt. assuming oil pressure and compression check out, with flipping in mind, would one recover the cost of a GoWesty/Rocky Jennings engine and a pre-emptive rebuilt transmission on re-sale? both work perfectly fine now. my personal feeling is the market wouldn't necessarily go another $10k for those two items over an extremely nice running one.

thoughts? those of you looking for vans, would you pay an extra $10k on top of market price for a sweet Westy?

www.thefixitworkshop.com

Last edited by DanHoug on Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Westys Reply with quote

If a Pre-purchase type inspection reveals that the current engine is strong and has good oil pressure, then that is a good selling point on it's own. I don't think replacing the engine is going to get you $5-6k more. Same with the tranny, if it's smooth and quiet, you are already ahead.

Hans
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Westys Reply with quote

thanks for the thoughts, Hans. i plan on installing an oil pressure and temp gauge in the ash tray location because i REALLY like that in my 87. to me, as a mechanical guy, it is critical info. hopefully a new buyer would develop the same appreciation.

to me, it really answers the question of whether this is a good engine or not. oil pressure good while hot, things are happy.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Westys Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I think it’s a year to go slow. Drive the 89 around a bit and feel its chi.

i'm so about that. i'm a car guy and friends always ask "should i but the CRV or the RAV4 or some such" my response is "drive both. one will speak to you" chi.

my 87 has a wonderful clutch... smooth, light, happy. i've changed cross arm bushings, new TO bearing, lubed the splines on the shaft, everything is right and good. the 89 is heavy and pendulous. i would drop the engine and trans before selling just because i know how good and light a right clutch on the vanagon can be. the clutch on the 89 is relatively new, but it is stiff. doesn't need to be. when i first engaged the clutch on my 87 after doing everything i thought 'WTH... it isn't working' it was that smooth and light.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Westys Reply with quote

Since the '89 is running I do not think you will recover your money if you replace the engine or trans. If it was not running I'd say do the engine since no one wants to pay top dollar for a non-running bus. YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Westys Reply with quote

If you want to sell , definitely hold for rest of 2021.

New RV sales won’t impact sales value of a T3.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Westys Reply with quote

I'm guessing your friend let you have the 89 at a stupid low price?

If so, the Girl Scout Motto about friendship cones to mind.
"Make new friends but keep the old, for the one is Silver and the other Gold."

Don't risk making him feel taken advantage of.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Westys Reply with quote

Wait, what are we going to use for our annual naked romp in the woods?

This is a PM, right?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: A Tale of Two Westys Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I'm guessing your friend let you have the 89 at a stupid low price?

it was below market value but not stupid low. he gave me a dollar figure and said he's fine if i resell it immediately, knowing i could make some bucks. for him, it was a fast, clean, no hassle sale with no chance of comeback or a disappointed owner. he'd helped me all thru the refurb of my 87 and has followed Samba for years so he knew the market and my potential profit. he's following this thread so we're good.

he likes to flaunt his working refrigerator and Corian dry bath in his wide body Mercedes but says no one waves to him any more.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: