Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another 1385...
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject: Another 1385... Reply with quote

Been going back and forth deciding to build a DP 1600 or build on my original 1200 engine.

Decided to do a 1385

Split the block yesterday, not measured anything yet, but everything looks really good.

This is the plan:

83mm P&C
1300 heads with a valve job on the intake and cleaning up of the port
8:1 or thereabouts
2x32PDSIT
Stock exhaust, with higher flowing end pipes (may cut the exhaust open and remove or drill bigger holes in the baffles inside)
Stock cam

Questions:
Should i opt for 1.25 rockers on intake or is it not worth it over 1.1?
Oil pump: is a blueprinted stock OK, or should anything else be done?
Engine analyzer estimates this to ca 60BHP, realistic?
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 1385... Reply with quote

I'm fairly certain your combo will hit somewhere between 51-60hp easily.

As far as 1.1 or 1.25, 1.1 is no issue, but if you decide to use 1.25 rockers, be sure the pushrods don't make contact with the PR tubes. CB recommends their big mouth (racing) PR tubes when running 1.25 and up ratios.

Here is the setup I plan to use on my 1385 which currently has 1.1 rockers on solid shafts:

https://www.cbperformance.com/Super-Stock-Rocker-A...?CartID=15

and

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/psaprt.htm
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Another 1385... Reply with quote

Quote:
CB recommends their big mouth (racing) PR tubes when running 1.25 and up ratios.
I just checked their website; those PR tubes are based on the 1600 length tubes (69 mm crank and wider engine). Unfortunately none offered in the narrower 1200 cc engine width.

Quote:
VW's Type 3 1500 S with the 1500 cc dual-carb single-port engines that ran those 32 PDSITs had approx. 8.5:1 CR. Needed premium fuel, though. My thought is to do more research on the CR and consider raising it to "mid 8's".
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 1385... Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
CB recommends their big mouth (racing) PR tubes when running 1.25 and up ratios.
I just checked their website; those PR tubes are based on the 1600 length tubes (69 mm crank and wider engine). Unfortunately none offered in the narrower 1200 cc engine width.

Quote:
VW's Type 3 1500 S with the 1500 cc dual-carb single-port engines that ran those 32 PDSITs had approx. 8.5:1 CR. Needed premium fuel, though. My thought is to do more research on the CR and consider raising it to "mid 8's".

Hm, are you looking at these:

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/psaprt.htm

or these:

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1565.htm

The former is adjustable from -.5" to +.5" under/over stock 1600 width.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: