Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dobryan Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: March 24, 2006
Posts: 13305
Location: Brookeville, MD
dobryan is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:


We had trouble with my Moms Golf in Laguna.

Peppermint oil worked to keep them out, in small baskets


How do you get the squirrels in the baskets?
_________________
Dave O
'87 Westy w/ 2002 Subaru EJ25 and Peloquin TBD

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The West Coast Westy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member


Joined: July 24, 2018
Posts: 2097
Location: Chicago
jlrftype7 is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Abscate wrote:


We had trouble with my Moms Golf in Laguna.

Peppermint oil worked to keep them out, in small baskets


How do you get the squirrels in the baskets?
ROFL....... Smile Smile Dancing
_________________
'68 Westy- my first VW and vehicle/Bus- long gone.- sold it to a traveling Swiss couple....
'67 Type 3 Fastback, my 2nd car- also long gone
'69 Semi-Auto Stick Shift Beetle, my wife's first car= yep. still long gone....
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member


Joined: July 24, 2018
Posts: 2097
Location: Chicago
jlrftype7 is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
Gnarlodious wrote:
Owner blamed it on rodents chewing the fuel tube, has anyone ever heard that one?
We've had trouble with squirrels chewing the rubber parts of my wife's car - they shredded the hood liner completely!

Thankfully, they don't find the Westy parked next to it nearly as tasty!! Shocked


Is your wifes car a VW? I have 2 mk4's and they get above the hoodliner when it starts getting cold out.
I once ran into that, only on the inside of the car, with a early 90's 318i. Car belonged to the General Managers Girl Friend. Mice dragged tiny bird seed all the way up above the headliner for days while she had parked it somewhere.
Then, every time you hit a bump or sudden stop, you had small dribbles of that really small bird seed running out of whatever gaps the seed could escape from on the headliner. When you think about how long it took them to run all that seed in their mouths up to the headliner, it's amazing..... Shocked Shocked
_________________
'68 Westy- my first VW and vehicle/Bus- long gone.- sold it to a traveling Swiss couple....
'67 Type 3 Fastback, my 2nd car- also long gone
'69 Semi-Auto Stick Shift Beetle, my wife's first car= yep. still long gone....
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member


Joined: October 24, 2007
Posts: 5630
Location: Crescent Beach, BC
Jake de Villiers is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
Gnarlodious wrote:
Owner blamed it on rodents chewing the fuel tube, has anyone ever heard that one?
We've had trouble with squirrels chewing the rubber parts of my wife's car - they shredded the hood liner completely!

Thankfully, they don't find the Westy parked next to it nearly as tasty!! Shocked


Is your wifes car a VW? I have 2 mk4's and they get above the hoodliner when it starts getting cold out.
No, a Subaru Legacy Wagon. Plant-based rubbers?
_________________
'84 Vanagon GL 1.9 WBX
'86 Westy Weekender Poptop/2.5 Subaru/5 Speed Posi/Audi Front Brakes/16 x 7 Mercedes Wheels - answers to 'Dixie'
@jakedevilliersmusic1
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member


Joined: October 24, 2007
Posts: 5630
Location: Crescent Beach, BC
Jake de Villiers is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Abscate wrote:


We had trouble with my Moms Golf in Laguna.

Peppermint oil worked to keep them out, in small baskets


How do you get the squirrels in the baskets?
Shocked Very Happy
_________________
'84 Vanagon GL 1.9 WBX
'86 Westy Weekender Poptop/2.5 Subaru/5 Speed Posi/Audi Front Brakes/16 x 7 Mercedes Wheels - answers to 'Dixie'
@jakedevilliersmusic1
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: May 03, 2007
Posts: 1066
Location: NV
sanchius is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

Ouch, someone put a lot of work into this one just to have it burn.

1991 Vanagon Carat burn victim part out: SVX powered(was), manual transmission
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/d/seattle-1991-vw-vanagon-carat-part-out/7189321956.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Porsche 993 Turbo front big brake upgrade kit including wheel hubs (calipers, rotors, SS hoses)
Porsche Twist 17" wheels, staggered, decent tires (10k left), wheel adapters
Porsche 16" wheel set with winter tires

86-91 Front Steering knuckle spindles
Powerflex front suspension: upper control arms, lower control arms, radius rods, lower end links
Front Koni shocks
H&R Springs front & Rear
T3 HD Sway bar
Addco(?) rear sway bar

Big Shot Shifter

Single Round headlight grill in great condition
Trucklite 7" LED lights
Stock Round headlight buckets
Tachometer cluster
Jump seat w/ or w/o bracket
Decent front door cards

Sold/Not For Sale
-SA Lower Grill
-Roof box
-Bumpers & Side cladding

Make me an offer on anything or group of items
I'll list more and add pics soon

Text preferred but email or call ok
[email protected]
_________________
The Syncro years (2008-2016) - The 2WD years (2017-present) - Sanchius & Tuna: The Video
Your gold star membership keeps this awesome list going - The African Queen Project
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member


Joined: March 01, 2004
Posts: 13633
Location: Syracuse, NY
danfromsyr is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

spotted this in the classifieds..
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2416159

Quote:
1982 Vanagon Westy Price: OBO
Just had motor rebuilt at a shop and it caught fire. Shop refused to pay for damages. This happen sept 11/2020. This van has the A/c brackets and compressor. If your not to far from Louisiana I will deliver. I have title in my name from Louisiana.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: October 05, 2014
Posts: 16207
Location: NYC/Upstate/ROW
Abscate is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Abscate wrote:


We had trouble with my Moms Golf in Laguna.

Peppermint oil worked to keep them out, in small baskets


How do you get the squirrels in the baskets?


Damn, I missed acknowledging great Snark - my bad

Well struck - full points delivered, in baskets..
_________________
.ssS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: September 28, 2013
Posts: 1975
Location: Adobe Jungle USA
Gnarlodious is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/01/19/austria-alps-motorcycle-museum-fire/#slide-2290019
_________________
Vanagon ’83 diesel AAZ w/Giles injection, 5spd 4.57R&P+TBD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: October 05, 2014
Posts: 16207
Location: NYC/Upstate/ROW
Abscate is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
https://www.autoblog.com/2021/01/19/austria-alps-motorcycle-museum-fire/#slide-2290019


Phew, no Vanagons burned. Just a split

Cool
_________________
.ssS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member


Joined: September 07, 2007
Posts: 3936
Location: Richmond VA
campism is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Gnarlodious wrote:
https://www.autoblog.com/2021/01/19/austria-alps-motorcycle-museum-fire/#slide-2290019


Phew, no Vanagons burned. Just a split

Another forum speculates that's a Fiat 850 T pickup.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
'87 Westy in Wolfram Grey Metallic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: April 03, 2014
Posts: 5336
Location: Seattle
jimf909 is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Gnarlodious wrote:
https://www.autoblog.com/2021/01/19/austria-alps-motorcycle-museum-fire/#slide-2290019


Phew, no Vanagons burned. Just a split

Another forum speculates that's a Fiat 850 T pickup.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Here's the split...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Gol darn, that's a bunch of disappointing losses...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
Abscate wrote:

Do not get killed, do not kill others.


Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: October 05, 2014
Posts: 16207
Location: NYC/Upstate/ROW
Abscate is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

I feel the loss but it’s just material crap

400,000 lives are not material crap.
_________________
.ssS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member


Joined: July 02, 2008
Posts: 2682
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Howesight is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
Ouch, someone put a lot of work into this one just to have it burn.

1991 Vanagon Carat burn victim part out: SVX powered(was), manual transmission
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/d/seattle-1991-vw-vanagon-carat-part-out/7189321956.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Porsche 993 Turbo front big brake upgrade kit including wheel hubs (calipers, rotors, SS hoses)
Porsche Twist 17" wheels, staggered, decent tires (10k left), wheel adapters
Porsche 16" wheel set with winter tires

86-91 Front Steering knuckle spindles
Powerflex front suspension: upper control arms, lower control arms, radius rods, lower end links
Front Koni shocks
H&R Springs front & Rear
T3 HD Sway bar
Addco(?) rear sway bar

Big Shot Shifter

Single Round headlight grill in great condition
Trucklite 7" LED lights
Stock Round headlight buckets
Tachometer cluster
Jump seat w/ or w/o bracket
Decent front door cards

Sold/Not For Sale
-SA Lower Grill
-Roof box
-Bumpers & Side cladding

Make me an offer on anything or group of items
I'll list more and add pics soon

Text preferred but email or call ok
[email protected]



I don't know how I missed the post above, but I drove that Vanagon many years ago. The owner allowed me to sample what a 5-speed 2WD Vanagon drove like with SVX power. Then I bought his spare SVX engine and put it in our Syncro! Nice guy. Tough luck.
_________________
'86 Syncro Westy SVX
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member


Joined: October 24, 2007
Posts: 5630
Location: Crescent Beach, BC
Jake de Villiers is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
campism wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Gnarlodious wrote:
https://www.autoblog.com/2021/01/19/austria-alps-motorcycle-museum-fire/#slide-2290019


Phew, no Vanagons burned. Just a split

Another forum speculates that's a Fiat 850 T pickup.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Here's the split...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Gol darn, that's a bunch of disappointing losses...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
What a shame! Very unfortunate about the Alfa 8C and the Lotus 23B - the Lotus is one of my favourite cars.

There's no need to speculate about the Fiat Pickup, it says in the article that its a Fiat 600T.
_________________
'84 Vanagon GL 1.9 WBX
'86 Westy Weekender Poptop/2.5 Subaru/5 Speed Posi/Audi Front Brakes/16 x 7 Mercedes Wheels - answers to 'Dixie'
@jakedevilliersmusic1
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jayinduluth
Samba Member


Joined: August 16, 2012
Posts: 103
Location: Southern California via Duluth, MN
jayinduluth is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

ENGINE WAS ON FIRE


https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/d/la-puente-1987-vanagon-van-vw-volkswagon/7259182431.html
_________________
85 Westy with 91 2.1L
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member


Joined: October 08, 2018
Posts: 1795
Location: MD
4Gears4Tires is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

That museum fire took out a Porsche 959. RIP. Sad
_________________
'87 Syncro
Ferric Oxyhydroxide Superleggera Edition
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member


Joined: March 19, 2010
Posts: 7101
Location: NE MN (http://g.co/maps/zt72q)
dhaavers is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

jayinduluth wrote:
ENGINE WAS ON FIRE


https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/d/la-puente-1987-vanagon-van-vw-volkswagon/7259182431.html

"condition: GOOD"

Confused

- Dave
_________________
86 White Westy Weekender
"The WonderVan"

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanStan
Samba Member


Joined: October 16, 2005
Posts: 664
Location: Calgary, AB
CanStan is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
jayinduluth wrote:
ENGINE WAS ON FIRE


https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/d/la-puente-1987-vanagon-van-vw-volkswagon/7259182431.html

"condition: GOOD"

Confused

- Dave


I guess it's all relative and subjective. If he's comparing it to the brown '82 at the top of this page, his is actually in "Excellent" condition.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member


Joined: September 07, 2007
Posts: 3936
Location: Richmond VA
campism is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires thread! Reply with quote

This one was posted a week ago to the Yahoo Vanagon list by a regular here, so I was surprised he did not post it here. Correcting that oversight...

https://www.vicnews.com/news/vehicle-fire-slows-evening-quadra-street-commute-in-saanich/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
'87 Westy in Wolfram Grey Metallic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Page 37 of 38

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB