Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Wiring Diagram
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Jeler wrote:

Split 66
Pulsing achieved at both HL & HR points!

The mystery voltage appears to be coming from the 54F pin on the 9 pin!

I’m also receiving a pulse at both TS board points 54S1 & 54B1 to ground. Hopefully I had located both points on TS board correctly!
Thanks again

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nicely done!

Is that an aftermarket Turn Signal board?

Does this connection look possibly bad, in person?

If you disconnect 54F from the 9 pin, does the auto-flashing stop? Which of those three would get it to stop if pulled?

Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Split 66

The solder joint does look rather suspicious and yes it is an after market TS!

When 49A is disconnected the flash/pulse stops. 54F & S makes no difference.

New 9 pin from Wolfsburg will be here tomorrow, may have to order another TS too! (Spares if not needed)

Thanks for all your help
Jeff

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Nice, looking forward to hearing if the WW 9pin was defective! Keep us posted.

EDIT: That TS control board connection is Ugly.
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Split 66

Yes that is one ugly solder joint on the TS switch, it appears to be soldered to the end of a pin that goes thru the board. I don't or doubt it's repairable.

Yeah, I'll keep you up to date on the new 9-pin. Part of me is also thinking it may be a faulty switch in the master cylinder. Just wish I could locate that nasty gremlin, and that's a polite way to express my feelings. LOL
Take care
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:
Nice, looking forward to hearing if the WW 9pin was defective! Keep us posted.

EDIT: That TS control board connection is Ugly.

Split 66

Well hooked up the new 9pin from WW and have the same problem.
Guess my next option is to try a new TS, last one I ordered was from CiP1,
I think I'll order one from WW this time.

Do you think it may be a problem with my master brake cylinder switch?

Thanks and take care
Jeff
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Sorry to hear it, but I still think the problem is in the TS control board. If you could find an OG TS assembly, you'd be way ahead.

EDIT: The stop light switch has only two states, on or off. The small hole in the rear of the stop switch detects the pressure of the brake fluid; when you step on the pedal, the fluid closes the contact in the switch, and the brake lights come on. You can entirely remove the connection to the brake light switch, to test this for your self.

Since you have the wiring for two stop light switches, but are only using one of the wire pairs, where is the other pair connected to?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

If disconnecting 49a stops the flashing, then the issue is in the turn signal switch. It's either got a short, or it's miswired (make sure the wire on 49a is black/white/green).

49a (and thus 54bl at the turn switch) is the flashing signal from the 9-pin relay which the turn switch sends to either the left or right turn lamps when the switch is moved down or up. Your problem is that the center position isn't "off", like it should be.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:
Sorry to hear it, but I still think the problem is in the TS control board. If you could find an OG TS assembly, you'd be way ahead.

EDIT: The stop light switch has only two states, on or off. The small hole in the rear of the stop switch detects the pressure of the brake fluid; when you step on the pedal, the fluid closes the contact in the switch, and the brake lights come on. You can entirely remove the connection to the brake light switch, to test this for your self.

Since you have the wiring for two stop light switches, but are only using one of the wire pairs, where is the other pair connected to?

Split 66

Yea it was a bummer. Thanks for the explanation on the brake switch. I do have an OG TS here but the case and tail end of the wires were pretty crappy.

The other two brake switch wires are covered individually with heat shrink tubing and secured with a zip tie to a brake line.

I'll take a closer look at it and see if I can make something work of it.

Heading in tomorrow AM for shoulder cuff surgery, so it will no doubt be a week or two before I can get back at it.

Thanks again
Jeff

Last edited by Jeler on Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
If disconnecting 49a stops the flashing, then the issue is in the turn signal switch. It's either got a short, or it's miswired (make sure the wire on 49a is black/white/green).

49a (and thus 54bl at the turn switch) is the flashing signal from the 9-pin relay which the turn switch sends to either the left or right turn lamps when the switch is moved down or up. Your problem is that the center position isn't "off", like it should be.

Telford

Thanks I'll look into this again a verify. Their were some rough looking solder joints on the new TS.

Thanks Jeff
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Jeler wrote:

Split 66

Yea it was a bummer. Thanks for the explanation on the brake switch. I do have an OG TS here but the case and tail end of the wires were pretty crappy.

The other two brake switch wires are covered individually with heat shrink tubing and secured with a zip tie to a brake line.

I'll take a closer look at it and see if I can make something work of it.

Heading in tomorrow AM for shoulder cuff surgery, so it will no doubt be a week or two before I can get back at it.

Thanks again
Jeff

Hopefully everything went well with your surgery today. If you've got some down time, and if you feel well enough over the next couple of weeks, you may want to try to refurbish your OG TS. Most times that aftermarket stuff just can't be made to the same quality standards of the original.

telford dorr wrote:

This is the same conclusion I arrived at as well. The only thing that throws me off, was Jeff saying that both filaments are lit when the auto-flashing is occurring. If the problem is in the TS, only the running light/turn signal filament should be blinking, not the Brake light filament too. How could both filaments be auto-flashing?
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:

This is the same conclusion I arrived at as well. The only thing that throws me off, was Jeff saying that both filaments are lit when the auto-flashing is occurring. If the problem is in the TS, only the running light/turn signal filament should be blinking, not the Brake light filament too. How could both filaments be auto-flashing?

Bad grounds will cause both filiments to light.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Where would you expect the bad ground to be then?
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

split 66

can't wait to get back out to the shop and see what i can do with the OG TS, sounds like a great idea. One armed jack now, hopefully it will be soon.

thanks again for all your suggestions

Jeff
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
Split 66' wrote:

Bad grounds will cause both filiments to light.

I have both tail lights grounded to the bolt on the negative battery terminal. But i will double check.
thanks so much
Jeff
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:

Housing to body and depending on the style of housing it could be bulb holder to housing.

On my 59 I ran grounds zip screwed into the housing to a ground point. Added one for the tag light too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
Split 66' wrote:

Housing to body and depending on the style of housing it could be bulb holder to housing.

On my 59 I ran grounds zip screwed into the housing to a ground point. Added one for the tag light too.

I have a wire stripped on the ends held in place with a hose clamp to the taillight bulb housing directly to my negative battery cable where it is secured to the body/frame.

Jeff
ToolBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Jeler wrote:
ToolBox wrote:
Split 66' wrote:

I have a wire stripped on the ends held in place with a hose clamp to the taillight bulb housing directly to my negative battery cable where it is secured to the body/frame.

Jeff

Go buy 2 1157 bulbs and install them...
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
Jeler wrote:
ToolBox wrote:
Split 66' wrote:

Jeff

I’ll try that, I have 1156 bulbs in there now
ToolBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

Jeler wrote:
ToolBox wrote:
Jeler wrote:
ToolBox wrote:
Split 66' wrote:

Jeff

I’ll try that, I have 1156 bulbs in there now

1156 are single filiment bulbs.
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Wiring Diagram Reply with quote

I was wrong, I just looked at a box of 1156 that I thought the bulbs came from! Removed the rear bulbs and they are both 1157’s
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: