Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let's See Your Old Tools
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Let's See Your Old Tools Reply with quote

blacka1vw wrote:
Abscate wrote:
My pictures were deleted because I misunderstood the title

Shocked Shocked Not that old tool! Laughing

AutoMechanic wrote:
Very nice tools. I like the Wrench kinda matches mine lol.

Thanks. The might have been sold in the same set. Laughing I bought the real old stuff at local flea markets. I just love the old stuff. And I still use them.

Me too. Pawn shops and flea markets are my go to for tools I use my old ones sometimes but try to mostly collect them lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Let's See Your Old Tools Reply with quote

These are Midget sets, at a time when people weren’t offended so easily. They are 9/32 square drive which predates 1/4 drive. Shown in this 1937 catalog https://www.collectingsnapon.com/catalogs/catalogs.php?loggedin=0&catalogPage=457

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Let's See Your Old Tools Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Or was the picture size too large for the site?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's See Your Old Tools Reply with quote

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Let's See Your Old Tools Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Or was the picture size too large for the site?

That’s the ego, not the tool. They usually are inversely related.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's See Your Old Tools Reply with quote

More old tools. I was cleaning up today and ran across these, not that I didn’t know they were there just never bothered to dig out and snap a pic.
These really are old

These predate reversible ratchet and require the user to take the center piece out and flip the wrench over. They are not date marked which means they are made before 1927. Finally they are 5/8 drive which predates 1/2 inch drive.

These are also 5/8 drive from the 1930s

I looked up the date codes on these all mostly 1930s and the mark that looks like capital E tells us it is 1944 vintage. So these aren’t sets just a bastard pile of old tools.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Let's See Your Old Tools Reply with quote

Those are cool; but glad there have been improvements made !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Let's See Your Old Tools Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Those are cool; but glad there have been improvements made !!!

Ain’t that the truth. You look at what they had to work with, life was hard. We are definitely spoiled with so many choices today. 😀 here’s something a little old too. I think it was was for working on horse drawn wagons. Absolutely no makers marks although it was heavily rusted and pitted, it may have been marked at one time.

Once upon a time a talented blacksmith made tools.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's See Your Old Tools Reply with quote

a few years back kobalt came out swith some tools sorta like that , they took a socket or addaptor like thos old snappy ones,they either didnt sell or get some snappy issues...possiably both.but I think it was because it was in no way interchangable with anything else. I think they were a hex drive that slid through the ratshit.... I have a old snapy ratshit somewhere...but not as old as yours. IMHO, polishit,clear it and...displaywitheit. Shocked Wink and on occasion you may just need it. I do have a ratshit like that but I dont think it is snappyon and it's 1/4" drive.. I love it. gets into lots of places eazely and has screwdriver bits too!!! I have no idea on it's age or where or when I got it it was long long ago. old tools arent useless, they just need a little loveing to get back to work Shocked Rolling Eyes ( unless they are crapsmans version of vicegrips)
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's See Your Old Tools Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Once upon a time a talented blacksmith made tools.

I've seen bicycle wrenches in that style... sort of a one-size-fits-all for lightest weight.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's See Your Old Tools Reply with quote

This is my Opa's Walker Turner Bandsaw from the 1930s. Pretty sure it's the original motor as well. Still works great! Don't know how old the hammer is but you don't find them like that anymore.

Also a 1960 edition of "Fix Your Volkswagen" from my dad.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Let's See Your Old Tools Reply with quote

Nice , YBDB
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's See Your Old Tools Reply with quote

hmm I never thought about fixing my vw with a band saw....sawzall yes band saw no... one place I worked had a ral nice band saw. a old indistrial unit...it was a 1 or 2 speed originally. but it got retro fited with a volvo 5 speed car trans at some point Shocked now thats a eazy speed selector for a saw!!!
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's See Your Old Tools Reply with quote

Well Mr. Tucker when ya gotta wood dash you need a band saw to contour it.

Funny thing is that all of my VWs had a wooden dash or dash component.

Next up the wood lathe!
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's See Your Old Tools Reply with quote

68 speedo lookin good
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's See Your Old Tools Reply with quote

my dash was wood.red oak. I went to use my band saw to cut it all out and.... the effing thing was broke.... the wheel'son it have a rubber incert for the blade to get traction....the rubber was deteriorated. so...I musta use something else to do it with probably sabre saw& skill saw.then belt sander and router. it all came out perfect and 17 years after I made it I sold the bug. the guy was tickled shitless with that dash( along with everything else) the urathane was just starting to slightly dull a little...I probably should of waxed it. making a 1/2" thick red oak dash ant that hard, but that glove box door...yup it threw me some curves.but in the end it was perfect.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's See Your Old Tools Reply with quote

Hey my dash in my '67 was also red oak, as well as the glove box. also did all the knobs and door pulls. Never took any pictures, was my high school senior wood working project in '86.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Let's See Your Old Tools Reply with quote

I bought an aftermarket wood dash for my TR4 that looked good when I got it installed with a new (underpowered for a convertible) stereo! Rolling Eyes
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Let's See Your Old Tools Reply with quote

I used to work on tr4's. 6s'&8's fun little cars.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Let's See Your Old Tools Reply with quote

Not a tool but check out this strange 1/2" brass pipe fitting
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: