Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1960-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-4/
Another 1960 just went live.
It’s got a nice look and a beefy engine.

Nice look doesn't equate to well done. I knew I could count on you all to point out the shortcomings (and they very well should be) if someone is going to drop $25k+ on this Smile

I'm surprised that this car is already up to $18k with 5 days left?? I get that the extra horse power adds value for some bidders, but the rest of the car is not going to hold up well over time. Seller just posted new pictures of the inside of the nose and it's obviously had some serious front end damage for which the repair work looks sub par, in addition to the rest of the body work that is poorly done. This car looks nice now, but is certain to show these body issues in time.

It's always dangerous to generalise but BAT seems to attract people who want to buy into the hobby without really buying into valuable advice. Bling sells.

I'm not sure the BAT buyers are discounting our advice. I think it's near impossible figure the motivations.
I'm as far from a KG purist as you can get. I tend to gravitate towards the "bling" if not too gaudy. I also hold in great esteem Ghia's that are very true in there original form as survivors or quality restorations.
I think we know the BAT audience is way more diverse than our little corner of the internet world. I believe it's much more likely a KG sold on BAT is going to someone who was not specifically looking for a Ghia in the first place.
Many of us KG enthusiasts have been involved with them long term and remember when they were just really cheaply priced cars. I have had a few in my life continuously since 1975. I've never owned any other A/C VW. The KG's I've owned are 67-70 models. I know very little about the nuances of a very early or very late Ghia. But we all know imperfect fit, finish and bodywork.
BAT's vetting process is a mystery too me. I guess they go by what interests them. What ends up making them so awesome as a platform to sell cars is folks like us who are "experts". Plus, they get are advice for free!
What I do know is that lately I spend to much time on BAT & Samba!
All in all, good (looking) Karmann Ghia's on BAT seem to do well. And that's good for Ghia owners Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
myghiarocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

It's always dangerous to generalise but BAT seems to attract people who want to buy into the hobby without really buying into valuable advice. Bling sells.

I'm not sure the BAT buyers are discounting our advice. I think it's near impossible figure the motivations.
I'm as far from a KG purist as you can get. I tend to gravitate towards the "bling" if not too gaudy. I also hold in great esteem Ghia's that are very true in there original form as survivors or quality restorations.
I think we know the BAT audience is way more diverse than our little corner of the internet world. I believe it's much more likely a KG sold on BAT is going to someone who was not specifically looking for a Ghia in the first place.
Many of us KG enthusiasts have been involved with them long term and remember when they were just really cheaply priced cars. I have had a few in my life continuously since 1975. I've never owned any other A/C VW. The KG's I've owned are 67-70 models. I know very little about the nuances of a very early or very late Ghia. But we all know imperfect fit, finish and bodywork.
BAT's vetting process is a mystery too me. I guess they go by what interests them. What ends up making them so awesome as a platform to sell cars is folks like us who are "experts". Plus, they get are advice for free!
What I do know is that lately I spend to much time on BAT & Samba!
All in all, good (looking) Karmann Ghia's on BAT seem to do well. And that's good for Ghia owners Cool

Good points on BAT buyers
Ghia's are still relatively cheap in the collector car world. Even top notch examples are priced pretty good compared to many others. Sunbeam tigers used to go very cheap, not anymore.
Also not everyone is looking for that perfect example to use as a trailer queen or parade car. They might have $25000.00 to spend on a fun car for a few years of pleasure. The guys with deep pockets usually know what they are looking for. The average buyer is not overly concerned about the year and originality, especially on a Ghia that is so hard to tell the difference from 55-74. We all know those changes because we are nutty enthusiasts. Still not many Ghia's will qualify as investment worthy, some are getting close depending on the amount spent on purchase or restoration.
I am not an expert, I like them stock or modified. no judging from me. Buy what floats your boat.

Last edited by myghiarocks on Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Cal-Neva speed shop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Oh no. I got almost double for it then what it got bid to.

John Moxon wrote:
Cal-Neva speed shop wrote:
That was my car. It sold outside of eBay.

kingkarmann wrote:
VeloMikey wrote:
It wasn't on BAT, but did you guys see this on Ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Volkswagen-Karmann-G...1438.l2649

I’m thinking the seller should think hard about that bid....

Well $26700 was never going to buy a well sorted '56...hope you got what you wanted for it. Smile

1956 low light Ghia
1957 oval
1958 bug
1967 bug
1956 oval
1969 Ghia
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Well $26700 was never going to buy a well sorted '56...hope you got what you wanted for it. Smile

That's good to hear for all Lowlight owners. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

kingkarmann wrote:
VeloMikey wrote:

Glad to hear that you got real money for it. Probably still a bargain for the buyer considering a 2nd year Ghia and how original it is. It is a beautiful Ghia and few in that condition are available for purchase. I would have a hard time parting with it.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

BAT buyers are willing to pay top dollar for nicely done cars from what I’ve seen, and they also are willing to pay more for mediocre and even poorly done cars then what you see them go for on the Samba.
I think BAT is the best thing that’s ever happened to Ghias. It makes it possible now for people like myself to properly build a Ghia and still make a decent profit. There are so few nicely done and correctly done cars that this will help provide an incentive to do more Ghias correctly.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

kingkarmann wrote:
VeloMikey wrote:

Fantastic!😎

Mike Gerson

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Bid to $26k no sale. That guy is a crazy, that was a lot for such a mediocre car.
To top it off he claims the torsion covers are there and not slathered over in bondo, but I don’t see them or the rocker seams.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
....but I don’t see them or the rocker seams.

Even absent in photos of the bare shell. Looks like it's had a quick-flip makeover.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Bid to $26k no sale. That guy is a crazy, that was a lot for such a mediocre car.
To top it off he claims the torsion covers are there and not slathered over in bondo, but I don’t see them or the rocker seams.

That car was a mess. Did you see the photos of the inside of the nose? Those "repairs" looked like they were done by someone who'd never done bodywork before. And he acted like they were excellently done. I even pointed out the missing nose seals and he acted like they weren't a thing that exists! Then I pointed out that the panel the spare tire sits on was clearly slathered in bondo, and he said that it was in perfect condition.
Like I don't know if that guy was just completely ignorant and had no idea how bad his car was, or if he was a jerk trying to screw someone over with a car that was clearly a turd. But I agree, that guy was out of his mind to not take that high bid.

What's infuriating about a car like that is that the guy took the time to completely disassemble the car and remove the body from the pan. That's so much work just to get to that point, why not do the repairs correctly?!

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

That 63 that sold for $20k was a better deal at $26k than that hack job of a terd.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

There's 3 gallons of filler on that pig. Half the car is sculpted and not by anyone who knows what a ghia looks like. Crying or Very sad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

A 70 KG Vert now up for auction. Like many cars, there's plenty to pick at on this one.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-convertible-13/

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
A 70 KG Vert now up for auction. Like many cars, there's plenty to pick at on this one.

I gently “picked” Smile

Mike Gerson

Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

I gently “picked” Smile

I think you were very fair in your comments as you typically are.

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Sebastian Gaeta wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
[I gently “picked”

Yes, fair indeed considering the condition of this car. Looks like another "Quick-Flip" special. The seller doesn't seem to know much about Ghias either.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Sebastian Gaeta wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
[I gently “picked”

Yes, fair indeed considering the condition of this car. Looks like another "Quick-Flip" special. The seller doesn't seem to know much about Ghias either.

It’s at $10k which is about what it’s worth.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Your comments are on point, in addition the seats and seatbelt latches are not from a 70. Lots of mods to the car.

kingkarmann wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

I gently “picked” Smile
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

It does look like quality was not important. Carpet on the front kick panels have ragged edges and windlace is missing. Binding the edge would have been an improvement! I can only think that the dash was supposed to look like wood grain - if that was the intent, it didn't come out very good?? No tar boards in the engine compartment. There is a lot of patching that has gone into the pans. The body gaps seem to line up so well but there's no telling what is under that nice paint job?

Much of this could so easily have been done better.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Karmanns & Bring-a-Trailer Auctions Reply with quote

Looks nice, but I couldn't cotton to driving it with the engine compartment seal missing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 110, 111, 112  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 112

Jump to: