Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gauge of wire? Dome light troubleshooting; 1967 12-volt
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Gauge of wire? Dome light troubleshooting; 1967 12-volt Reply with quote

I'll admit; I did NOT go through all of the many, many results and threads I found by searching.

QUESTIONS BELOW.

Need to troubleshoot and fix my rear ceiling dome light.

Here's my plan of action:

--Check Fuses (done; they're fine)
--Look at basic connection(s) within the rear dome light (looks fine)
--Test Dome light's Light Bulbs (done; they're fine).
--Test all combinations of dome light switch in conjunction with the the front steering column DOME LIGHT SWITCH (done; not fine; no combination works.).
__________(below is where I am at/planning on doing)__________
--Test/replace/look at connections to the front cab DOME LIGHT SWITCH (WW Part # 211947511C).
--Test/replace the dome light fixture (WW repro. Part #211947107A)
--IF the problem is isolated to be the wire that goes to the dome light, try to replace that wire without removing wood ceiling panels. (Possible?)

SO; quick questions:

1) Replacing the wire for the back dome light in my 1967 Westfalia; what gauge?
2) Best source for buying (more than enough) of said wire? Got a link for me?
3) IS it possible to replace that wire without removing my wood Westfalia ceiling panels?
4) Does anyone know the exact, and full, path of that wire (from the factory) so that I have a mental visual when/if pulling a new wire through (without removing wood headliner)?

...I have a very thin flat steel pull line/fish tape; I am hoping I don't have to replace that wire, but if I do, will that work?

Thanks in advance, everyone!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Gauge of wire? Dome light troubleshooting; 1967 12-volt Reply with quote

Quote:
1) Replacing the wire for the back dome light in my 1967 Westfalia; what gauge?
2) Best source for buying (more than enough) of said wire? Got a link for me?
3) IS it possible to replace that wire without removing my wood Westfalia ceiling panels?
4) Does anyone know the exact, and full, path of that wire (from the factory) so that I have a mental visual when/if pulling a new wire through (without removing wood headliner)?

...I have a very thin flat steel pull line/fish tape; I am hoping I don't have to replace that wire, but if I do, will that work?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Dadacheese

1. 18 or 16 gauge would work fine
2. Any auto supply store will have the wire, or local hardware store.
3. Of course replacing wire with ceiling panel removed would be much easier. Depending where your panel joints/seams are you may be able to fish a wire thru.
4. Wire route runs from light down to driver side and then continues above windows then down left side front windshield post.

I had problem getting my rear light to work also, removed the fixture and cleaned up all contacts for bulb and switch and even the screws (ground) that secure it. On my light the problem was ground to the ceiling/roof rib. I used a bit of dielectric grease on the switch,bulb contacts and even the screws!

I’m not a betting kind of guy, but I’d place my bet on a bad ground!!

Lots of luck, you’ll get it.

Take care
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauge of wire? Dome light troubleshooting; 1967 12-volt Reply with quote

Jeler wrote:

. . .
I’m not a betting kind of guy, but I’d place my bet on a bad ground!!

Lots of luck, you’ll get it.

Take care
Jeff

Jeff, thanks for the answers and the good practical advice.
I'll give it a shot when I work on it. - Much appreciated.

-Bryce (DadaCheese)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauge of wire? Dome light troubleshooting; 1967 12-volt Reply with quote

x2 on a bad ground. remove & clean the dome light, inspect the on-off switch to make sure it is making proper contact. little sandpaper around the mounting screw holes on the roof bows. Test light!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauge of wire? Dome light troubleshooting; 1967 12-volt Reply with quote

Down at the bottom of all the bus wiring diagrams is a chart for converting the wiring gauges from metric on each wiring diagram to SAE wiring gauges.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauge of wire? Dome light troubleshooting; 1967 12-volt Reply with quote

Put your meter on 12vdc and ground the negative probe. Use the plus probe to touch the toggle on the speedo pod both wires. If both wires show 12v then probe the wire at the dome fixture. If both wires don't work put a jumper to connect the two wires and continue on to the dome wire. If dome wire is 12v then clean up the dome fixture. Like others say make the ground good at the mounting screws. Like others say make the dome light on-off switch contacts clean and touching good.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauge of wire? Dome light troubleshooting; 1967 12-volt Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!
(Jeler, johny__utah, Eric&Barb, BarryL)

Was indeed as easy as cleaning things up and using some dielectric grease on the dome light grounding screws.
Got out both my volt meter and simple test light too; voltage was correct all the way through after cleaning connections on the front cab switch, and the dome light.
SO pleased that there was nothing wrong with the front to back wire. Front cab switch was fine too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Look at how rusty the grounding screws get after 54 years!

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauge of wire? Dome light troubleshooting; 1967 12-volt Reply with quote

Thanks for the update! Good to hear it was only a cleaning of connections that was needed.
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Gauge of wire? Dome light troubleshooting; 1967 12-volt Reply with quote

Awesome, great job! Thanks for the update!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: