Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad ground? Where to begin fixing?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Bad ground? Where to begin fixing? Reply with quote

Hi!
Still a newbie.
I’ve learned that a bad ground on my 6 volt ‘66 can cause all kinds of electrical gremlins.
My turn signals sometimes flash rapidly like a bulb is out, then after a short drive they work again. Sometimes the emergency flasher just lights solid. Then later they work.
My question: Where do I begin cleaning connections? Is it just the turn signal light connections that are wonky, or do I need to clean every connection there is? 😩
How to clean? Emery board, sand paper, file?
Tell me your success stories.
Thanks in advance! 👍
Roland
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad ground? Where to begin fixing? Reply with quote

Has anyone posted a list of all grounds on the car? Some are subtle and they did change over the years.

Tranny strap, battery straps, regulator grounding, headlight brown wires, relay housings...

I use steel wool but you have to be careful not to leave "strings" to cause shorts or rust.
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad ground? Where to begin fixing? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Has anyone posted a list of all grounds on the car? Some are subtle and they did change over the years.

Tranny strap, battery straps, regulator grounding, headlight brown wires, relay housings...

I use steel wool but you have to be careful not to leave "strings" to cause shorts or rust.

Thanks! Gotta try these first. I guess I should undo one brown wire at a time, clean, and then reattach.

It would be great to have a list of grounds (anyone want to add to KTPhil’s list?).

I appreciate all suggestions I can get. It’s been 40 some years since I owned a VW Beetle and back then I just drove it to bits. Never had to work on it, but then it was just a 12 year old car.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad ground? Where to begin fixing? Reply with quote

Also use a dielectric grease on each cleaned connection to seal out all water vapor and oxygen that will otherwise cause corrosion to just come back all too soon.

You will have to look and sort out the chain of grounds being used. EG the for the taillight, bulb grounds to bulb holder/reflector, which in turn grounds to the taillight body, which in turn to fender, which in turn to body, which in turn battery ground cable to the battery.

Even riveted together parts will get corrosion in between each apart and the rivets. Seen this in earlier headlight switches, taillights, ignition switches, etc...
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad ground? Where to begin fixing? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Also use a dielectric grease on each cleaned connection to seal out all water vapor and oxygen that will otherwise cause corrosion to just come back all too soon.

You will have to look and sort out the chain of grounds being used. EG the for the taillight, bulb grounds to bulb holder/reflector, which in turn grounds to the taillight body, which in turn to fender, which in turn to body, which in turn battery ground cable to the battery.

Even riveted together parts will get corrosion in between each apart and the rivets. Seen this in earlier headlight switches, taillights, ignition switches, etc...

Ground in the ignition switch? What year? Very curious!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad ground? Where to begin fixing? Reply with quote

Also good to get as much voltage to the electrical items, so clean all the wiring connections.

Here is how to get the voltage drops out of the fuse box:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483901&highlight=fuse+box+soldering
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad ground? Where to begin fixing? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Ground in the ignition switch? What year? Very curious!

No ground. Just that folks think if something is riveted that corrosion can not get into there.
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad ground? Where to begin fixing? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Great suggestions. Luckily I’m retired so I can spend hours, and hours, and hours chasing bad grounds. I can’t wait. Lol
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad ground? Where to begin fixing? Reply with quote

Any update??
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad ground? Where to begin fixing? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Any update??

Yeah, I started the job and found the problem area quickly (a bulb connection), so I stopped. Lol

So much for cleaning ALL connections. 😂🤣
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad ground? Where to begin fixing? Reply with quote

Stockholm VW wrote:

So much for cleaning ALL connections. 😂🤣

HA! Good to hear it was an easy fix!! You should sooner than later check the voltage at various points of the electrical system with items turned on and see if the full voltage at the battery is getting thru. Easy enough to do and if there is a voltage drop diagnosed and solved you can end up with better working lights, horn, wiper, etc..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: