Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

86 Syncro High top VW to Ej22 swap advice
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
86adventuresyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: 86 Syncro High top VW to Ej22 swap advice Reply with quote

It has been a while since I dreamed about getting more torque and horsepower into my Vanagon. After passing Ca Smog with flying colors my Transaxle developed a substantial whine and it is time to get it adressed.

At the same time I just bought an unknown condition EJ22 from a donor 88 with Kennedy kit.

I am planning on starting the project soon.

Any advise on the upgrade is welcome.

I am running KO2 215/65/16s

Looking for guidance on rebuilding and installing ej22.
Torque and horsepower 3rd and 4th gearing.

My Syncro is pretty heavy with AdventureWagen interior and a bit less aerodynamic than a tin top.

I am mot a mechanic but tackled quite a few small projects already.

Any DIY write ups?
Options to consider?

Thank you
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 Syncro High top VW to Ej22 swap advice Reply with quote

86adventuresyncro wrote:
EJ22 from a donor 88 with Kennedy kit.

The Kennedy mount is so so and not sure if you will like it with a Syncro. May rock too much.....

86adventuresyncro wrote:

I am running KO2 215/65/16s

#MeToo and I think it is too much tire for my EJ22 and gearing.

86adventuresyncro wrote:

Torque and horsepower 3rd and 4th gearing.

Don't with those tires and your weight. It will not pull it.

86adventuresyncro wrote:

My Syncro is pretty heavy with AdventureWagen interior and a bit less aerodynamic than a tin top.

it is the weight and not the top (Find the Dehler air flow pictures to prove it.)

86adventuresyncro wrote:

I am mot a mechanic but tackled quite a few small projects already.

My pro tip here is to ditch the old 2.2 short engine and swap a $1000 JDM 2.5 lower end with all your 2.2 stuff.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 Syncro High top VW to Ej22 swap advice Reply with quote

Kennedy exhaust doesn't work with the syncro engine skid plate.
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 Syncro High top VW to Ej22 swap advice Reply with quote

Since you already have it as a donor i would roll the ej22. When you have the ej22 out make sure to do some maintenance on it.
-replace timing belt and pulleys
-all crank and cam seals
-upgrade the pcv cover to steel
-new oem themostat

I would suggest getting a short oilpan for the ej22, for the exhaust just have a muffler shop modify the existing one.
86adventuresyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 Syncro High top VW to Ej22 swap advice Reply with quote

Thank you for all replies.

Kennedy rocks too much?

I am on waitlist for Syncro specific engine mount from them.

So not enough torque from EJ22 to pull heavierSyncro? My Stock 2.1 was borderline just had to drive it fast;)

Any suggestions compromise on 3rd and 4th ratios that would be best for 70mph cruise and enough torque to climb in 4th on hilly California freeways?

Sounds like frankenmotor is the way to go but it adds quite a bit to a project.

Keep it coming please!
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 Syncro High top VW to Ej22 swap advice Reply with quote

I also highly suggest the rocky-mountain westy engine carrier, its very well thought out and gives room for most exhausts
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 Syncro High top VW to Ej22 swap advice Reply with quote

Yeah keep 3rd and 4th gear ratios stock. I have the taller 3rd and 4th from weddle with my 2.5. I only did it because I needed a new 4th gear set and went heavy duty for the extra torque. My tires are just under 29 inches tall. The jump from 2nd to 3rd is too far apart imo and you find yourself using 3rd on hills between 50 and 60 mph. Its very hilly here. Gears now offers heavy duty 3rd and 4th sets that are a stock ratio. Oh and my syncro is a tin top with a very spartan interior so its fairly light.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 86 Syncro High top VW to Ej22 swap advice Reply with quote

86adventuresyncro wrote:

Any suggestions compromise on 3rd and 4th ratios that would be best for 70mph cruise and enough torque to climb in 4th on hilly California freeways?

With your tires, first is like mush because you start so far off the torque curve.

Second you have to wind up to to like 6K rpm so you end up at 3500 in third.

Any lower than 3000 with those tires bogs the 2.2.

My van loves 3rd which is stock.

I have a 0.82 for 4th. It is almost freeway only. Which was the point. Cruising at 80 mph not a problem. 90 mph it starts to feel it. About 100 is all I can do and only just to play.

With the speed and weight you will need bigger brakes. I have 303 mm rotors in the front and I can ruin those if I am not careful. They heat up comeing to fast stops.

86adventuresyncro wrote:

Sounds like frankenmotor is the way to go but it adds quite a bit to a project.

NOT NOT NOT a Frankenmotor. But rather just the whole short engine and bolt on all your 2.2 stuff. No need if you are not a super gear head. Clean and assemble. Easy.....

Get it from one of the many Japanese engine companies.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: