Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can anyone identify and date this interior? -
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omi-Wan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Can anyone identify and date this interior? - Reply with quote

Hi,

Can anyone identify and date this original interior? I have my own thoughts but have seen variations... This has a lighter blue vinyl section and white piping for example.......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify and date this interior? - Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the white piping makes it 1956.

Don
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify and date this interior? - Reply with quote

Same interior as my '57 Euro, came with a couple exterior colors like Horizon and Strato Silver to name a couple. My car was built 1/57 if that makes a difference, as 'sunroof' mentioned that 56 and 57 roughly had different piping. I thought 56 had dark piping and 57 had white piping though!
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify and date this interior? - Reply with quote

OK, now I'm curious!

Don
Zbyna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify and date this interior? - Reply with quote

For compare: 10/1956 L331 Horizon blue from Sweden

1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify and date this interior? - Reply with quote

Could be an early vs. late '57 thing too. Here is a forum of an all-original interior on a 57 with dark piping...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=523274&start=40

(photo taken from nidan2)
Omi-Wan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify and date this interior? - Reply with quote

This is where I am slightly confused. Supposedly it is for a late 55 and 56 on Strato Silver but i have seen other 56´s with the dark piping and the lighter color vinyl on the door cards. The picture above has the dark piping and the dark vinyl for example.......
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify and date this interior? - Reply with quote

My 1956 vert (Aug 9,1955 build date) Iris blue had dark blue piping on the door panels.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify and date this interior? - Reply with quote

Found this info, not sure of accuracy though... Been trying to search through forums and there's a lot of misleading info or contradicting info.

"If your car is from 8/55 to 3/56, it will have dark blue piping, i think.
From 4/56 they all got the "white" piping."

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705323&highlight=piping+blue
nic_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify and date this interior? - Reply with quote

My 5/56 original trim - white piping.
(Australian CKD but trim would have shipped from factory I assume)

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify and date this interior? - Reply with quote

1958ghia wrote:
Could be an early vs. late '57 thing too. Here is a forum of an all-original interior on a 57 with dark piping...

56Cabrio wrote:
My 1956 vert (Aug 9,1955 build date) Iris blue had dark blue piping on the door panels.

Yep. Exactly the same as my '56 sedan. Original interior with black piping around the seats and dark blue piping around the door cards. The rear panels and seats have the original stenciled numbers in hidden areas.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Omi-Wan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify and date this interior? - Reply with quote

So are we saying that until April 56 they had two colors of piping on the same car? Dark blue around the door cards and black around the seats??

What about the lighter blue vinyl that came with the white piping. Was there a change in April 56 over to that as well?
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify and date this interior? - Reply with quote

Omi-Wan wrote:
So are we saying that until April 56 they had two colors of piping on the same car? Dark blue around the door cards and black around the seats??

What about the lighter blue vinyl that came with the white piping. Was there a change in April 56 over to that as well?

This can only be answered anecdotally and to the extent that those with original interiors chime in with the build dates of their cars. Mine was built March 1956, non-white piping.

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Omi-Wan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify and date this interior? - Reply with quote

I guess. Without full clarity, very difficult to prove or disprove someone´s originality. Apart from the piping there are variations in the vinyl color, armrest underside, grab handles and B post to under window stitchings.

All a nightmare for someone trying to respect originality.

I have a November 1955 Strato with at the moment, white piping and light vinyl in the box waiting for me to give the green light to the upholsteror.....
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify and date this interior? - Reply with quote

Omi-Wan wrote:
I guess. Without full clarity, very difficult to prove or disprove someone´s originality.

When you see photos that clearly show the stenciled numbers in the fabric on the panels in hidden areas, there's no question as to originality.

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify and date this interior? - Reply with quote

1958ghia wrote:

The vinyl with the dark blue piping is darker blue as exemplified by a few original examples of different years. The OP's photo shows a lighter color vinyl. I suspect the white piping is more associated with the color of the vinyl rather than the car's production date. IE, dark blue vinyl = dark blue piping; light blue vinyl = off white piping. Supposition, but the evidence leans in that direction.

Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify and date this interior? - Reply with quote

I think people over estimate VW's organizational abilities when it comes to many small year to year details. They likely used what was on hand when materials were updated and rotated and I doubt that these things were planned and monitored to the extent that they recognized (or cared) that the black piping left over from 3 months back/ model year change was very slightly different.
Or white vs Black.
You have to consider that Porsche was still raiding VW parts shelves and cutting and welding engine tin by hand and hammering patches of metal into production cars to fill gaps.
There's just too many small, typically unnoticeable, variations in every year to hope to find an explanation for why it happened. Even if someone finds the factory documentation about when and why they changed these things you're still going to find cars that are different.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify and date this interior? - Reply with quote

Bub wrote:
I think people over estimate VW's organizational abilities when it comes to many small year to year details. They likely used what was on hand when materials were updated and rotated and I doubt that these things were planned and monitored to the extent that they recognized (or cared) that the black piping left over from 3 months back/ model year change was very slightly different.
Or white vs Black.
You have to consider that Porsche was still raiding VW parts shelves and cutting and welding engine tin by hand and hammering patches of metal into production cars to fill gaps.
There's just too many small, typically unnoticeable, variations in every year to hope to find an explanation for why it happened. Even if someone finds the factory documentation about when and why they changed these things you're still going to find cars that are different.

Yep. And yet despite this, you'll still find folks who will wag their finger and say, "nuh-unh!" Shame on you

Laughing

Omi-Wan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify and date this interior? - Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
1958ghia wrote:

The vinyl with the dark blue piping is darker blue as exemplified by a few original examples of different years. The OP's photo shows a lighter color vinyl. I suspect the white piping is more associated with the color of the vinyl rather than the car's production date. IE, dark blue vinyl = dark blue piping; light blue vinyl = off white piping. Supposition, but the evidence leans in that direction.

Absolutey makes sense so by the few responses here, I am guessing that no one can really say whether one was before the other or whether they were simultaniously used at the same time and as for dating, well forget it. I just want to be sure my Strato could have come with either combination!
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone identify and date this interior? - Reply with quote

This from another thread. First note the date April 1, 1956 (this is the delineation of early and late 56 production - introduction of at least one new body color). Also look to seat beading, several different colors that went with a particular body color. [Edit] And below you see for up to 4/1/56. While this doesn't have info specific to the car in question, it does show different color beading was available and that they changed from early to late for carry over colors (see black & polar silver).

Finally, the remainder of the info is from an old thread with information provided via samba contributor IN2VWS

IN2VWS wrote:

[/quote]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: