Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement wheel recommendations
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Replacement wheel recommendations Reply with quote

Hello,
Looking for suggestions, trying to find wheels that would bring my tires in towards the body/reduce track width. Currently my car has CB Performance drop spindles and EMPI GT-5 wheels. Picture of how they stick out, rubs during turns (current tires 185/60r15)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Are there any 5.5" wide wheels that don't stick out as far? I know stock wheels aren't that bad, but I want a wider wheel/tire in the front than a 4.5" wheel can take. Thanks in advance!
Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement wheel recommendations Reply with quote

185 series tires are pretty wide for the front with stock VW fenders. You might get a better fit with 165 series on those rims. You might also want to consider a 2-4” narrowed front beam with your current combo.

Derrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement wheel recommendations Reply with quote

5.5" 2.0 liter wheels will fit 185X60.
I run them with 185X60 & 205X70 on my lowered square with no rubbing.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement wheel recommendations Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

The question isn’t whether 185 series tires will fit on 2.0 liter wheels...it’s whether the offset(backspacing) of the 2.0 liter wheels is different than the EMPI GT-5 wheels he is currently running. If they are the same then his front tires will still protrude past the stock fenders. My suggestion to SparksLP is to measure your backspacing of your GT-5 and hopefully others here on Samba will measure the backspacing of their wheels to see if there are wheel options with more position offset.
https://www.lesschwab.com/article/what-is-wheel-offset.html

Derrick
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement wheel recommendations Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

The question isn’t whether 185 series tires will fit on 2.0 liter wheels...it’s whether the offset(backspacing) of the 2.0 liter wheels is different than the EMPI GT-5 wheels he is currently running. If they are the same then his front tires will still protrude past the stock fenders. My suggestion to SparksLP is to measure your backspacing of your GT-5 and hopefully others here on Samba will measure the backspacing of their wheels to see if there are wheel options with more position offset.
https://www.lesschwab.com/article/what-is-wheel-offset.html

Derrick

The Answer is Yes since 2.0 liter have a very flat face with No dish & ET40.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement wheel recommendations Reply with quote

EMPI GT-5 wheels have a et20mm compared to your wheels with et40mm. Sometimes I get confused on this positive vs neg ET thing but if I’m looking at this correctly the 2.0 liter wheels will stick out further.
Having said that the op was asking about purchasing another set of wheels...the price of a “new” set of wheels with a better offset is getting close to the $$ of a new bare narrowed beam!

Derrick
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement wheel recommendations Reply with quote

Yeah, the offset vs ET thing always mixes me up. I probably should have specified, my car is a 1966 Bug, so it's the "wide 5" (5 x 205) bolt pattern. Those squareback wheels would be a 4-lug wheel, right? And I'm hoping to not have to go to a narrow beam, the car is being built for autocross and then eventually (hopefully) track days and the like. So wide wheels and tires are necessary, to a point. Go figure, our silly shaped little cars make things complicated! 😂
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement wheel recommendations Reply with quote

Not a lot of options with the early wheels. We have a ghia and splitbus with the 17”x7” BRMs but the 7” width makes your situation worse.

The Bus has a 4” beam and the ghia is stock. Both these cars are running 205/40 tires front and back.
If you want 185 tires with your current wheels & stock width beam then CCC fiberglass wider fenders maybe your only option. BTW you wouldn’t happen to be running a spacer between your front drums and wheels Smile?
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement wheel recommendations Reply with quote

No spacer, the drop spindles just push the wheel out, plus the wheel being wider than stock. For example, here's the stock wheel with a 165/80r15, drop spindles installed.

It seems my choices are narrow the beam or maybe figure out how to get adjusters installed? Especially if I want to stay with a wide tire setup?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement wheel recommendations Reply with quote

Get a set of REAL Porsche 914 alloys. They have a deep ET42 which really pulls them in. I have 195/55-15 on a set of Porsche/Pedrini 5.5x15 ET42 alloys on a stock width beam that dropped 3" via Avis adjusters.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement wheel recommendations Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Get a set of REAL Porsche 914 alloys. They have a deep ET42 which really pulls them in.

Not a 5x205 bolt pattern, I imagine the cost to change all the hubs to fit those outweighs the benefits, haha. Always love seeing your car, Glenn. It's perfect!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement wheel recommendations Reply with quote

Then a set of 356 wheels... also not cheap.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MANNAXMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement wheel recommendations Reply with quote

You need a wheel with a lot of backspacing/large positive offset. These are an option - CIP SS SUPER SPEED WHEEL.
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement wheel recommendations Reply with quote

Some of those do have a better offset/ET, thanks. And Glenn, I didn't even think about 356 wheels!
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement wheel recommendations Reply with quote

I know you are going five lug but wanted to clear up something regarding a suggestion for future readers of this thread.

The Porsche 2.0 liter wheels do indeed have a desirable offset for late model cars, especially supers, but be careful to ensure they are genuine Porsche wheels. The aftermarket ones are different so do your homework.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement wheel recommendations Reply with quote

Here's a random thought I had, tangentially related to the wheel/tire discussion. Would doing things to stiffen up the suspension (sway bar, shocks), prevent tire rub? I was considering a bigger front bar anyway, maybe that's a route that would solve my clearance problem. Or maybe I'm talking out my rear end. 😂
SparksLP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement wheel recommendations Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with the SSP slotted mags? Offset seems to be better than a lot of other wheels.

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/us/ac601016-ss...16-bs.html
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement wheel recommendations Reply with quote

The 14 inch Bus front wheel in the 5 by 205 bolt pattern will suck each front tire in 14mm compared to the stock Bug wheel. I don't think any Bug front disc brake systems will fit inside of 14 inch wheels but the stock drums fit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: