Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15'' tire options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

I rotated my tires (Cooper Discoverer AT3 225/70/15) a couple of weekends ago as I do every 3k miles and found that my spare was completely deflated. I took it to Les Schwab and they told me the bead on the rim wasn't holding? In any case, they fixed the tire and it's on the van, holding air fine as I write.

I noticed that they'd put the tire back on with the OWL out, which doesn't match the other four, so I took it back in and they reversed it.

I noticed these cracks in the OWL side, or what is usually the inside wall of the tire:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The cracks run the whole circumference of the tire. They're small and most likely cosmetic, but I'm surprised to see cracks after only three years. Any input from the group?

(I will admit that the sight of any potential tire issue sends me running to TireRack.com, you know, just in case. Smile)

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Joe, can you find a build date on the tires? They're only 3 years old, but they could have been sitting in a warehouse for a while. And I'm assuming that spare never makes it into the tire rotation? Do the others have the same cracking?

My thought is that happened when they were being dismounted and mounted. A bit old, brittle, on a cold day, pushed a bit too far when breaking the bead?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

erste wrote:
Joe, can you find a build date on the tires? They're only 3 years old, but they could have been sitting in a warehouse for a while. And I'm assuming that spare never makes it into the tire rotation? Do the others have the same cracking?

My thought is that happened when they were being dismounted and mounted. A bit old, brittle, on a cold day, pushed a bit too far when breaking the bead?

I do a 5 tire rotation, so the spare is only a spare for 3k miles.

I found similar cracking on three of five tires, at least on the outer sidewalls:

Build Date October 2016 for all five, I guess they're getting a bit long in the tooth. Manufactured in Texarkana, TX.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

the 'build quality' of the (Cooper Discoverer AT3) are a tad suspect.
they were a cheap tire that got alot of attention over at expedition portal when released
and alot of attention as they aged.. sidewalls are considered soft in these.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
the 'build quality' of the (Cooper Discoverer AT3) are a tad suspect.
they were a cheap tire that got alot of attention over at expedition portal when released
and alot of attention as they aged.. sidewalls are considered soft in these.

People from Texarkana will fight you for saying that. (Not me though, I'm from Shreveport. Very Happy )

I've beaten the crap out of them and they've held up well through Moab trails, snow and frigid temps, and lots of highway driving.

I mean they've held up well until now. I must admit this concerns me. I'd planned to get another summer out of these.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

I think I'm going to move to 215/75/15 and either go with the BFG's or the General Grabber ATX. I like the 225/70/15's but with my ET23 wheels, the sliding door touches the tire when opened.

I'll update after I've hemorrhaged the necessary cash.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I think I'm going to move to 215/75/15 and either go with the BFG's or the General Grabber ATX. I like the 225/70/15's but with my ET23 wheels, the sliding door touches the tire when opened.

I'll update after I've hemorrhaged the necessary cash.

I love the BFG KO2 215/75/15's on the Rheins.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

need to replace 2 of my Nokians early because of some overinflation wear on one (doh!). This came up in my search, good deal. Just saw this thread pop up and made me think to post it.

https://www.discounttirezone.com/Nokian-eNTYRE-20-20565R15-99H-XL_p_15642.html
walkngdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Hi, sorry if this is an over discussed tire but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. I'm looking at the:

NOKIAN WR C3 205/65R15C/C 102/100T
$121 @ Discount Tire Zone:
https://www.discounttirezone.com/Nokian-WR-C3-20565R15CC-102100T_p_15679.html

This is for my son's 1985 Westfalia and we plan on getting the GoWesty 15" steel wheels for $360.

I want a good all weather tire and keep the overall diameter as close to stock as possible as to not loose power on the gearing. And maybe handle a little dirt.

This seems a little pricey too me so a more affordable suggestion is appreciated. I've been reading about this for seems like hours of days of mo... haha so I'm still formulating options.

Also, what about a spare? Do I need a full size or can I just keep one of the Nexen 185R14C?

Thanks
Marc
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Joe, I would run those as is. Cosmetic stuff isn’t indicative of blowouts.

If your driving pattern is 80 mph in heavy traffic every day, maybe not, but tires just don’t blow out like the old days
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

I would never run tires with sidewall cracking. $1000 for tires vs a potential accident/medical bills/increased rates/totaled van? Would you run fuel lines with cracking? It will probably be fine for a long time. Until, you know, it isn't. Confused Personal anecdote, the TT had a sidewall blow out in a low profile tire a few months after we bought it. 6" long gash from hitting a slight unevenness in the pavement. Luckily we were going 25mph because that was just an accident waiting to happen. Since the 3.2 VR6 moves the battery to the rear, it meant no spare which meant waiting for a tow. Not a great ending to the night. We replaced the tires with run flats.

Marc, those Nokians will be fine. I prefer to run a matched spare even in non 4wd vehicles where it's required. Personal preference, but I think a vehicle leaning in one direction or having less grip on one front corner could make a poor day into a terrible day with one more mistake.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

I'm going to replace them soon, before summer anyway. I do think it's probably cosmetic, but getting out in the desert in 100+ heat with cracked sidewalls seems like enough of a risk that it's worth doing sooner than later. I'd planned on new tires before next winter anyhoo.

I'm leaning towards the General Grabber ATX in 215/75/15.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I would never run tires with sidewall cracking. $1000 for tires vs a potential accident/medical bills/increased rates/totaled van? Would you run fuel lines with cracking? It will probably be fine for a long time. Until, you know, it isn't. Confused

The initial plan was to run these for the summer, but your post kept gnawing at me. I pictured myself in the middle of the Utah desert with at least two blown sidewalls. More specifically, I was pondering whether airing down would exacerbate the issue.

To that end, Grabber ATX 215/75/15's were in stock at the TireRack distribution warehouse that happens to be less than a mile from my house, so I pulled the trigger. Installation and 4-wheel alignment scheduled for tomorrow.

New tires are so exciting...I won't be able to sleep tonight. Very Happy

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Glad to hear it! Dancing
fleetwood41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

Joe T,

I know it's "just" tires but you're going to post a photo after installation, right?

Please do.

Razz
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

walkngdude wrote:
Hi, sorry if this is an over discussed tire but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. I'm looking at the:

NOKIAN WR C3 205/65R15C/C 102/100T
$121 @ Discount Tire Zone:
https://www.discounttirezone.com/Nokian-WR-C3-20565R15CC-102100T_p_15679.html

This is for my son's 1985 Westfalia and we plan on getting the GoWesty 15" steel wheels for $360.

I want a good all weather tire and keep the overall diameter as close to stock as possible as to not loose power on the gearing. And maybe handle a little dirt.

This seems a little pricey too me so a more affordable suggestion is appreciated. I've been reading about this for seems like hours of days of mo... haha so I'm still formulating options.

Also, what about a spare? Do I need a full size or can I just keep one of the Nexen 185R14C?

Thanks
Marc

I run these tires on my Syncro. I am very happy with them. I do have as a spare, as well. They are directional, so in an emergency, the spare may be rolling in the wrong direction until you are able to get to a tire shop. I bought mine a few years ago directly from Peter at Van Cafe in SC. I think they were more expensive a few years ago.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

fleetwood41 wrote:
Joe T,

I know it's "just" tires but you're going to post a photo after installation, right?

Please do.

Razz

Of course! I love tire pics.

Here are a few classics:

I can't remember what these were. BFG something or other.

BFG 27x8.5R14

Geolandar 215/70R15

General Grabber AT3 215/75/15...Added because they're the same size I'm putting on the van...

Geolandar 215/75/16

Cooper Discoverer 225/70R15 on Mefro Steelies

on Ronal R9's

...and to be recycled tomorrow.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

I have read thru the tire threads and cannot find an all terrain 205/70/15 (or similar stock diameter tire). I do not want a larger size like 215/75/15.

Anyone have one they like?

The Western Syncro build
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015

Yokohama Geolander A/T is really the only option in that size, but has a load rating of 96 (1565@51).

Previous Buses: 59 Westy, 60 Westy, 74 Bus, 82 Westy, 85 Westy, 87 Syncro
Checkout my Syncro Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JSWhLS7jLY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 15'' tire options Reply with quote

dart330 wrote:
https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015

Yokohama Geolander A/T is really the only option in that size, but has a load rating of 96 (1565@51).

Thanks. Yep. Does anyone know if that 1565 load rating needs to be devalued by 9% or is it a truck rating and thus full value? (I can never figure that stuff out.)

The Western Syncro build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: