Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barndoor speedo pod details
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Barndoor speedo pod details Reply with quote

Trying to figure out what the correct pod for a '53 samba is. I have been restoring split speedo pods for many years, but don't know the bus details.

There are ones with 95mm speedo openings (standard Beetles), usually brown bakelight and not ivory. These have a 2.5mm "lip" around the inside of the speedo opening, and slip any Beetle speedo in them (the dimensions of the speedo bezels are all the same, but some steel and painted brown, others made of brass and chrome plated) and bezel rests on the lip and does not protrude to through to the front of the pod.

100mm pods don't have the lip (my guess is that they were made from the same pod mold at the factory and the lip was just machined off for the 100mm ones) and in those, any speedo installed protrudes all the way through and out past the front plane of the pod by 4mm or so.

I have seen pics of purported '53 barndoor pods that show barndoor speedos (flat face) in both 95 and 100mm pods. Some with chrome speedo bezels, some painted brown.

The person I am trying to source a pod for only says he has a "53 BD Samba".

I was just looking at a thread on "Deluxe (3 pod) dashes". Were all "Sambas" deluxes? Or is Samba a more generic term. In the Beetle world, all 95mm pods were brown from the factory, and 100mm ivory.

Any light you could shed appreciated....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor speedo pod details Reply with quote

100mm brown pod with brown bezel speedo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab

Last edited by johnshenry on Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor speedo pod details Reply with quote

95mm pod with chrome bezel speedo.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor speedo pod details Reply with quote

It should be white and 100mm so the chrome ring stick through it

Brown is recessed

53 Standard original dash/pod:

54-55

Deluxe/Ivory is popping out
52:

53 I believe:

54-55:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor speedo pod details Reply with quote

All Sambas (23-Windows) would have the full-length "Deluxe" 3-pod dash.

A full-length dash was also an option for other models but they could have regular brown pods and recessed speedos.

A lot of dash pics here too:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278431

Later pod faces are brown but painted Ivory - they are not cast Ivory like early Split Bugs

I feel like maybe I didn't answer all of your questions though so let me know what else you are asking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor speedo pod details Reply with quote

I think you did answer them all Ev, thanks!!!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor speedo pod details Reply with quote

Another question on this. In '52 and until the end of the split window dash Beetles, the pods had this "piggyback" fuse holder on the back of the ignition cap. Did these exist on later Barndoor pods as well? Seems to me that on the buses, it might not be very accessible, whereas on the Beetles, you can get behind the dash pretty easily.

Anyone???

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor speedo pod details Reply with quote

My '55 Deluxe has it but my '55 Kombi did not.

I'm not sure why the difference or when they were used or not used on Barndoors.

It would probably be good to get a general survey from other owners here if people want to report.

I know my 1/55 Kombi black pod was original.

As far as I know my 2/55 Deluxe Ivory pod is original but repainted.
Should there be a date stamp on the ground post?
This is something I could check.

The '55 Deluxe rear view:

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor speedo pod details Reply with quote

There should be a date stamp on the ground fork, but I find that probably a good 20% or so don't have date stamps. That pic you posted is good enough for me, shows that at least some deluxes used that pod. Thanks again....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor speedo pod details Reply with quote

i had read in this thread about date stamping on the ground fork for split dash pods . my inquiry is about a Bug not a Barndoor sorry Smile

my ground fork was broken off and i replaced it but i went n got the broken fork cleaned it up and sure enough i found a date stamp , its stamped 65 not sure how to read that date ??? my bug is a 51 any help deciphering it would be appreciated ?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor speedo pod details Reply with quote

Let’s go for 6/51. Can see the 1.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor speedo pod details Reply with quote

Yep. 6.51 June 1951. You could solder the broken piece on top of the replacement to keep the date with the pod.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor speedo pod details Reply with quote

ok , thanks !!! i do see the 6 51 now , ill clean that better . dont want to un solder my repair so i made a note to go with the fork that stay's with the car for now . ill have another look at my new fork n see what i can do ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: