Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical Misconceptions??
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Misconceptions?? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
If mine beeps....... I'm too dumb to know it...... plus I was 4F from going to Vietnam because I apparently can't hear!
The Army felt it was important to have soldiers who can hear..........

Dave

Yep it is a high pitched whine, possibly out of the range that you are able to hear. But you do have to push a button to toggle the beeeeep on/off, maybe yours has that function?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The West Coast Westy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Misconceptions?? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I love my 12V test light probe. Teach how to use it?

They even have them now with a voltmeter built in!

I had multimeters on my list, but I'll need to remember to include the lights, both the ones with and without a battery. Thanks!

Jim

Check out www.SyncroSafari.org and www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Misconceptions?? Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
dobryan wrote:
I love my 12V test light probe. Teach how to use it?

They even have them now with a voltmeter built in!

I had multimeters on my list, but I'll need to remember to include the lights, both the ones with and without a battery. Thanks!

Jim

One of my new favorite tools is a probe LED test light.
The LED enables you to detect injector pulse and other things a incandescent can't see or will damage.

I like the LED test light so much, I bought an extra for my travel kit!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
offthewallace Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Misconceptions?? Reply with quote

Ohm's Law -

1989 Wolfsburg
2212 WBX - Manual
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Misconceptions?? Reply with quote

Honestly what I find most challenging is the gulf between theoretical electricity and actually doing it on the car. It's one thing to see there's some yellow and white wire that's supposed to connect to such and such a terminal, but when you're mucking around with ancient wires covered with grease and discolored from age, lying on your back on the side of the road, it's hard to keep the theoretical part in your head. Most of these circuits aren't that complicated, but they get complicated fast when you're trying to clean your glasses in the rain so you can see what color a wire is or whether a connector is connecting.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Misconceptions?? Reply with quote

I think stressing the importance of the engine/transmission needing to be properly grounded to the body is a good idea. This is very often overlooked and can cause starting, running, and charging problems.
Also a simple tutorial on using an amp meter checking for and tracking down parasitic draws while the car is off would also benefit a lot of people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Misconceptions?? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Abscate wrote:
How to use a voltmeter and why you should buy an analog meter and not a digital one, for auto electrics

I would argue that both have their place,

i have both and use only the digital, use it on a weekly basis in the shop. Fluke and Agilent brands so maybe their display physics are somewhat better than inexpensive ones. Even for doing sweeps of resistance tracks, these meters have a fast-acting linear scale on the bottom that samples faster than numeric update and works fine.

from what i see of the analog meters in the box stores, i think you'd be better off surfing eBay for a vintage nicer one. Simpson, even Radio Shack / Archer rebranded some nice quality meters. the inexpensive analogs have very fragile meter mechanisms and thin, wimpy needles. you want a meter with some heft to it. and most of all, inexpensive meters have VERY cheap leads that while safe for 12 volts, make me extremely uncomfortable for household voltage and above.

The book is on basic Vehicle electronics. If it is targeted at that, any reader shouldn’t be anywhere near household electronics.

Dave put a sharp mark on the case fork 12V nominal and the 12 V scale. Or, since it’s an analogue meter that doesn’t use a battery, just leave it on 12V
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Misconceptions?? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
How to use a voltmeter and why you should buy an analog meter and not a digital one, for auto electrics

Everyone should have a reasonable ($20) digital DVOM in their glove box. I've had my analogue Simpson 260 for decades and use when the need arises. Very handy on older cars with odd symptoms. Not to stray off topic but humans have only digital senses (pixel point nerve receptors, fixed rods and cones in the eye, fixed hair cells in the cochleaect..) and an D/A/D/...? converter the the brain.

BK
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Misconceptions?? Reply with quote

I've never needed to use a battery powered test light, and only use an LED test light on computerized circuits. An LED test light only pulls very small mA, so you can only really check for voltage potential. A DVOM gives better information. I do use a standard incandescent test light quite a bit.

Never needed an analog meter either, but I use a lab scope regularly. You can get them cheaper than a lot of DVOM's now too.

A meter should include min/max and duty cycle for automotive use.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Misconceptions?? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:

and... heh, heh.. crimping vs soldering connections

That's volume 3. Volume 4 is how to properly crimp terminals and connectors. Smile

How and why to clean connections or switches even if they don't look corroded. (I'm a fan of Deoxit).

When to use nuts to connect wires (never on a car unless losing the connection is harmless).

Going out on a limb: Why T-Tap wire splice connectors are not always the end of the world.

Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: