Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Rat King" rat rod Roof Test fit
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
King80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: "Rat King" rat rod Roof Test fit Reply with quote

Link

Just a quick update to my 1974 rat rod, "Rat King" Test fitting the roof onto the body for the first time!!! Enjoy! (thoughts, ideas and comments welcome... still working ideas out in my head, never too late to change things lol.)[/youtube]

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "Rat King" rat rod Roof Test fit Reply with quote

I see a shape now that I didn't see before.😀 If I had any suggestions it would be to put it all in one thread. But for now, keep on doing wild sh#t. Like the rest of us.
King80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: "Rat King" rat rod Roof Test fit Reply with quote

Link

Its been a cold, wet week here in town, but I managed to get a little bit done last night...
King80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Rat King rear end work... Reply with quote

Link

Bit more progress this week while dodging rain and bad weather.
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "Rat King" rat rod Roof Test fit Reply with quote

Well I didn't see that coming. Interesting enough.😀
King80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Rat King" rat rod Roof Test fit Reply with quote

Link

A long past due update on the Rat King Rat Rod VW Beetle.... and we have DOORS! Too much rain and snow recently and a bit of the flu got me behind. lol... here's the new update.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "Rat King" rat rod Roof Test fit Reply with quote

Popcorn

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
King80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "Rat King" rat rod Roof Test fit Reply with quote

Rat King, 1974 vw beetle rat rod finally gets its lid put back on!!! Check it out!

Link
King80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Rear Hatch install and more body work in the rear Reply with quote

Link

Rear end body work on the Rat King Rat Rod. its starting to come together...
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: "Rat King" rat rod Roof Test fit Reply with quote

Some buddies of mine were doing Bug pickup conversions back in the 70s. What they found was that over time the structure sagged down in the middle trapping the doors. This was with the original roof in place. I see your braces to the B pillar but you will need to do more I believe.

There is a Bug pu on page 84 of the book "Baja Prepping VW Sedans and Dune Buggies". I don't know what it is but I like the way it looks. It may just be the headlights .
King80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "Rat King" rat rod Roof Test fit Reply with quote

I agree that more needs done, I have some 2x2 (1/4" thick) angle from the post down through the heater channel into some 1/2" bar stock under the body. it spans the entire length of the side on both sides. (similar to what they did on the convertible beetles but with a much thicker piece of metal) It seems pretty stout but I will be making sure I have more bracing within the "cab" portion as well.
Thanks for the heads up and the info though!
Hope you enjoy the build, I cannot wait to get it on the street.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Rat King" rat rod Roof Test fit Reply with quote

I'm thinking about 'plating' the rockers and A and B pillars on my Bug. The doors close nice and I would like to keep it that way. There is a lot of hidden rust that will eventually cause body sag if I don't brace things up.
vndin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "Rat King" rat rod Roof Test fit Reply with quote

Link

Much delayed UPDATE on the Rat King Rat Rod VW and everything that has slowed me down.... 2020 has sucked ass.... just sayin.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "Rat King" rat rod Roof Test fit Reply with quote

I've been doing some "fun" stuff on my bug.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746047
vndin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Rat King Rat Rod VW Reply with quote

After way too long I got the rat king rat rod back inside a garage... now we're waiting for new concrete outside and a future garage addition... cannot wait. if you want to keep up with the build please subscribe to my youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd-g0DvbyvtQjGdWvLralcQ

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: