Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Classified Ads
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Classified Ads Reply with quote

I know this will get some hate and it has probably been discussed before as well somewhere. But I've been trying to figure out why so many classified ads have crazy pricing, and have been up for so long. I'm talking ads that were placed 5+ years ago, and they are still being renewed on a regular basis. Are they just waiting for inflation to catch up to their pricing? It's not just on The Samba. It's everywhere. I guess my question / comment is that when I want to sell something, usually it's more about getting it out of my garage / basement / living room than anything else. I just can't imagine having an item listed for years and years, and not thinking A: my price is too high, or B: nobody wants this piece of crap I'm selling. So why keep trying? I know there's a sucker born every minute, but it seems insane to me.
Another thing I've noticed is if there are already 25 of the same item listed for $X, why do people constantly list the 26th one for the same price? What is the point in that? I guess it circles back to the question of do you want this item out of your way, or do you want top dollar for it? As an example, if there are a metric shit ton of door handles listed for $40, wouldn't it make sense to list yours for $35? How else do you suppose anyone will choose yours over the other 100 on the market?
There's been times I've listed items for less than 1/2 of what the other sellers are asking, and had absolutely zero interest. So I would assume the other sellers have had less interest than that.
Anyways, I'm just curious if anyone has better insight into it. Maybe there's something I'm not seeing when it comes to online selling?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Classified Ads Reply with quote

i have a friend who refuses to sell anything less than his asking price "because it's mine" and i have another that will blow stuff out at cheap/reasonable prices just to keep stuff moving.

honestly, i think a FS ad that has been running for more than a year should get axed.... WTB ads can go on in continuance until the part is found.

i was huge into MK1/2 stuff for decades. any leftovers i have now i can't seem to sell...or give away so off to the scrapper it goes.

i don't get the reasoning behind renewing the same old ad...edit it and drop your price...there is a reason it hasn't sold. i suppose the only exception to that would be a part out of a complete vehicle...sometimes it takes a while to pick the bone clean before you toss the carcass

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Classified Ads Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i suppose the only exception to that would be a part out of a complete vehicle...sometimes it takes a while to pick the bone clean before you toss the carcass

I’ve parted out enough VW’s to realize it’s not worth taking it all. Once you’ve had 3 dashes sitting in your basement for a few years, or a box of old seatbelts you can’t even give away, you start to realize it’s not that much of a shame to send that stuff to the crusher.

I know guys like you speak of Skills, who would rather their great grandkids send their shit to the dump when they die, than sell their prized possessions for any less than 300% of market value.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Classified Ads Reply with quote

It’s because some people think they have gold, I don’t get some of the prices either. I’m not a cheap ass at all, I’ll pay up for something I need but some prices are just want to get rich quick crack smoker prices.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Classified Ads Reply with quote

I’ve advocated Charging a 1% ad fee here for anything over X, to stop the $100,000 synchro barn door ads.

That would get rid of the 3 year old ad wankers

Also a view history metric showing how few people click on your gold plated shinola will face slap you back to reality
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Classified Ads Reply with quote

Sometimes there's a little more to it.
Maybe the seller has poor feedback (I research before purchase)
Their location is out of the country=Higher shipping
Seller overcharges for shipping
Specific interests do change over time.
Remember that the seller has the ability to see if there are "viewed" activities or watchers to the ad as well.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Classified Ads Reply with quote

There are view counters for ads. So even if your ad gets 1 accidental click a week, you still have 260 total views after 5 years.
The overpriced $100,000 cars get lots of clicks too. Just think of anything that makes the "Whines" threads here- it brings tons of views from people not interested in the item who just what to see what the whine is about. But to the seller, the clicks probably appear as interest.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Classified Ads Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
Sometimes there's a little more to it.
Maybe the seller has poor feedback (I research before purchase)
Their location is out of the country=Higher shipping
Seller overcharges for shipping
Specific interests do change over time.
Remember that the seller has the ability to see if there are "viewed" activities or watchers to the ad as well.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I think it's fair to say most sellers here are reasonable to deal with, have good feedback, and charge fairly for shipping. So let's say there are 25 mirrors listed at $25. Eliminate 5 of them who aren't sellers you want to deal with. That still leaves 20 of essentially the same mirrors for the same price from good sellers.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Classified Ads Reply with quote

On the other side, I have had rebuilder carbs listed for quite some time, but then all of a sudden, they all sold. There are always new people getting into the hobby with new interests.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Classified Ads Reply with quote

Customer service and feedback is very important. Restoration shops value this greatly and, as a seller. a slightly higher price or "bloated" inventory is part of the reward system. Funny how a shed full of "undesirable" SB parts slowly gets picked off over time. The staying power of ACVW's is remarkable. As VW yards close at a rapid pace these excesses in inventory will dry up fast.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Classified Ads Reply with quote

As far as what sells here on theSamba, I think a lot of it amounts to the difference between "needs" and "wants". In other words hard parts (fairly priced, of course) seem to sell well-----especially when newly listed. On the other hand collectables, toys, and literature seldom get any action here while those things move well in person at swap meets (remember what those were?).
People searching for something that's needed vs impulse buys.
As usual, YMMV.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Classified Ads Reply with quote

I have a couple parts that have been listed for almost 18months, and they’re priced at $15-$10 shipped! One of them has 3 people watching the ad... cheap parts. You’re basically paying shipping and Depending on size and weight, shipping is between $8-$12. So I’m only making a couple dollars at this point.

2020 was tough because swaps didn’t really happen. I can see why we might see some ads that have been up for a while these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Classified Ads Reply with quote

I quit swap meets years ago. Why spend all day digging through stuff when I can spend 5 minutes on the internet? I get what I need without haggling and having to listen to endless stories. This platform is the perfect selling/buying instrument I've ever used.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Classified Ads Reply with quote

Attended OCTO today, same thing there, when I sell, I want to get rid of it, These guys been hauling some of there crap from swap meet to swap meet..and when you ask how much, they give you a ridiculous amt of cash! to what feed into there retirement funds.?
I also like to know Im helping someone out.?
Just my thought and rant.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Classified Ads Reply with quote

My favorite local Craigslist ad was for NOS disk brake shields. He listed them for over 3 years, and changed the ad every week or two, so it was always on top.

During that time, GoWesty developed stainless steel ones that were less then his NOS steel ones!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Classified Ads Reply with quote

CL is deader than dead, FB has captured that in short order ( I even had to create a FB profile-fake name, no personal info, no "friends" just to do business). I think another classic car site run samba style could re-capture much of the market currently in FB hands. It's the epic fight of websites against Social Media. A full embrace of crypto could power that effort.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Classified Ads Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
CL is deader than dead, FB has captured that in short order ( I even had to create a FB profile-fake name, no personal info, no "friends" just to do business). I think another classic car site run samba style could re-capture much of the market currently in FB hands. It's the epic fight of websites against Social Media. A full embrace of crypto could power that effort.

I think the ‘popular’ buying and selling forums are constantly shifting. Where I live, Kijiji is the go-to. Craigslist is dead. I’m talking if you searched VW on Kijiji, you’d get thousands of hits. Craigslist, you’d get 10. Others have come and gone over the years too. It’s a catch 22, because if nobody lists there, nobody searches there. So then nobody lists there, and it dies a slow painful death. Yet in other places, the amount of users between those platforms are reversed.
I don’t exist on Facebook and I never will. I’d rather miss out on 10,000 deals than sign up for that drama fest.

I do think it’s pretty cool that with all the classifieds platforms that have been a flash in the pan, The Samba has stood the test of time. I’m sure Everett has the actual numbers, but it doesn’t seem to me like it’s died down over the years. I’m sure sub-forums have ebbs and flows, like when the collective gets pissed of at certain miserable / angry / abusive members. But I think there are enough top-notch, helpful contributors that it more than balances out.
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Classified Ads Reply with quote

Just sold a beetle rear view mirror that I had listed since 2015. $30 shipped. I guess I could have deleted the ad years ago or just thrown the mirror in the trash & forgot about it. Hope it didn't take up too much space here during all those years Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: