Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

in my retirement years they are just too heavy for me to pick up Shocked it's only been a year since I sold my bug.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

I’ve been saying

Hey Baby Buggy, wanna one back to my place?

For five years, with no takers.
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

I did exactly this 2 weeks ago. Going part time at the end of the year (just filed for Soc sec two days ago) and have had a hot rod motor sitting in my garage for 35+ years, so needed something to put it in or sell it off. My wife is actually more excited about it than I am (probably because I' the one doing all the work LOL)
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

Retired 2 yrs in Oct.
I have bought 2 67's since retirement, its my golf/fishing/bowling/RVing. I enjoy them very much. That brings my stables to 4 ! Can never get enough of them.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

I passed up a great deal on a bugypickup earlyer this year...kinda wish i had fgot it..it was a great deal with no motor...sure would of been fun with one of my big motors in it. also passed up one of those bottailed what evers for about..free. but it needed everything so...not so good of a free deal,Im njo longer into a total car rebuild...although it would of been eazy and fun to do.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is that the lake that used to have trout - until you retired and caught them all??
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

Why would anyone plan to retire without a future VW project or two lined up and waiting to keep them happily busy?

In my particular case, with a helpful nudge from the pandemic, I chose to pull the plug on a 45 year career as a flight attendant in May of this year. I have eight VWs in my fleet, but I specifically bought a mid-project 1957 Deluxe Oval Beetle Kabriolett way back in 1994 and tucked the chassis/body into the corner of my garage and all the boxes of removed parts onto shelving in my basement. Inventories of parts were made, "to-do" and "parts wanted" lists drawn up, strategies of attack have been planned, complete Vintage speed drivetrain already built and acquired. This is my "retirement" project restoration.

I'm still adjusting to retirement after a few months of it (really LOVE it!), and I'm currently completing lots of stuff on my "to-do" lists for each of my old VWs, but the '57 Kabriolett is getting closer to the front of the retirement "to-do" list now. For the past two and a half decades I have been slowly but surely buying better parts, restoration supplies, all the rubber, etc. for this restoration. I know it is going to be a lot of fun, I'll learn some new skills and it should keep me occupied for many years to come.

I plan to try to stay relaxed and healthy and slowly plug away at it at my own pace until one day I can turn the key and start driving this old Kabrio into the sunset!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

I was able to retire at 55 with full Union Pension, just over 10 years ago. I have had a few VW projects in that time, sold my last one 4 years ago but I am looking for a project again. I truly think once you are really into VWs there's no getting out. Very Happy Here are two of my "retirement" projects

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

45 years as an FA - props to you. Thanks for shuttling me around the world on planes in comfort. Pax can be real Richard Heads, and I go out of my way not to be on on airlines. (Global on United)
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

So I have not picked up a project yet as I am still tinkering with a 1940 Ford Jalopy (old sportsman race car)...my retirement is getting closer and I am planning a move NE Kansas so maybe going out there from upstate NY with out having to tow something behind the U-haul might be a better deal for me...I bet the stuff in Kansas sheet metal wise should be way better than upstate NY sheet metal....the tin worms are really really bad around here...

Anybody tow a project to another state to finish it?

Thanks for all the insight....

MikeC
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

Buy a decent runner that you can drive/enjoy while you fix it up. I tow with a tow dolly as it's a lot lighter load. You can rent them from uHaul.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

I’ve got too many irons in the fire as it is. Now I’m retired and I’ve got a 54 bug, 55 bug, 65 Double cab, 67 bug, 74 bug that I drive and they all need work. I’m gonna try to narrow it down to ovals and the truck.
Winterhawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

I'm 70 and having owned classic American, British, Swedish, German, Italian, and Japanese cars/trucks/travel trailers, etc I'm looking to buy my first VW. Deal is almost done but won't happen for a couple weeks, unless he changes his mind. The point is I might be 70, but I don't feel close to that age, and since my retirement I'm healthier now then I was at 55. So why not continue doing what I like doing, and at the same time check off another car from my "must own one day" list. Never wrenched on VW, but from what I can tell it looks to be straight forward, so hope to be odsorbing knowledge and contributing to the forum soon.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

Welcome! VWs can suck you in for sure, there is something elemental about them that brings one close to the very roots of car ownership that has been lost in the new ones. Wasn't it John Muir that talked about being one with the beast that carried you? Or something like that...

New cars are far too sterile and isolated to give you the real feel of driving in my view.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

Yep retired and would now like to sell a few of the bugs I have as believe it or not loosing interest. Sounds weird but true. Plan on keeping the squareback. Fell free to PM

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

I'm about 10 years from retirement. The '66 bug I had hoped to finish by 2016 (it turned 50 yrs old) has been put on the back burner because as with a lot of people, life gets in the way. I'm just having trouble convincing my wife that cluttering my back yard with non-running projects is a good thing! Razz
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

sell off the non running things and finish the one thing you want( or bug or bus or giha) then you both will be happy and you want have a hell of a mess for her to dispose of when your dead....
the longer stuff rots in your back yard the less usable it is 90% of the time. just do it.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

retired four years. I have enough projects that there are always parts in the pipeline, and parts arriving, for every project. with careful timing and judicious part ordering I am always busy, and all projects slowly progress forward, but I never actually finish anything and run out of things to do. it's a skill, bordering on an art.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
BobR24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

I said the same thing last year. One thing lead to another and now look where I am. That said, I am having fun and they make people smile where ever we go.
Here on the East Coast (Florida) These are very rare. Most rusted away years ago so they are always the center of attention. Two types of people, those who have no clue as to what they are and those who have some history with them and lots of stories. Enjoy your retirement and remember that every day is a gift.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody pick up an old Beetle for a retirement project? Reply with quote

when i sold my bug almost 2 years ago, I filled up the car with extra parts, then filled his truck bed with extra parts, then filled his rear seat in the truck with extra parts...and had him come back for another load of parts, toobad he didnt bring his trailer the 2nd time. he was tickled shitless with just the car.everything else was just added bonus. he only lived about 170 miles away.(he really should of brought the trailer!!!!) I still have lots to get rid of.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: