Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

thom wrote:
EliasP wrote:
When will someone make a complete bus shell by aluminium instead? Never any rust issues again!

An aluminum shell would bring with it a completely different set of problems. And who, pray tell, told you that aluminum doesn't oxidize?

Like galvanic corrosion where all the steel parts bolt on. Look at a new F150, There is all kind of isolation between the steel and aluminum parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Take a look at the rear hatch on mid 2000's Ford Expeditions.
Tell me aluminum doesn't oxidize.

https://www.classaction.org/news/class-action-blam...num-panels

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Aluminum needs special prep work for paint to adhere properly. The biggest mistake is that a steel product like steel wire brushes or steel wool is used.Dielectric {rust} reaction is inevitable . I have two 1998 Audi A8's that have lived most of there 250,000 mile life in the Minneapolis,St Paul aria. There is no rust on them any where.I have even had the steel sub frame out of one of them and still no rust. There are days that All cars that have driven on the roads in the Minneapolis St Paul aria are white from salt spray. Now back on topic .... Has any one found the secret formula for getting the dreaded aftermarket rocker panel inward bow resolved? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brad5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

So has anyone, anywhere ever seen one of these completed?
Or even in know someone building one?
If they have spent millions on getting them to this point, I think they would be marketing them harder.
$30 G's for a shell has pushed it out of my price range. Not saying it is not fair, if it is not a scam/poor quality or they are just in over their heads and can not produce.
None of that would be a first in the kit car market!
Anyway I wish them well.
I promise not to butcher any restorable buses for my hot rod project. Starting point is the first 5' (cab section) of a 67 rust bucket rescued from the scrap.
Brad5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

So I just got this link through the BBT ad in Hot VW,s;
https://musclecargt.com/
There is so much info out there that needs to be co-ordinated.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Quite the extensive article in Hot VW. Downright amazing.
Brad5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Have not seen the Hot VWs story yet but this is from Air Mighty magazine;

https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/5f19bde476afaf198a...0Visit.pdf

From BBT (see page 15 in Hot VWs Jan. and Feb. 2021 for their ads).

Seems to me the Ohio firm selling the new "Made in USA" bodies are using some photos from the Taiwan factory.
Not that, that is bad, just why do they not say so?
30 big ones is a lot of money for something that may only be worth $50k (?) even with another $30-50 sunk into it.
How do I convince my wife that it is a good deal?
I still would love to hear from someone who has taken the plunge.
23 window has always been a dream and I love building Vdubs.
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

gitchesum wrote:
I'm seeing prices of $15K for the body with doors. Also read somewhere the possibility of SC's and DC's.

Or you could just get the Gerson model.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thats just my speed..

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

VWFIXER wrote:
gitchesum wrote:
I'm seeing prices of $15K for the body with doors. Also read somewhere the possibility of SC's and DC's.

Or you could just get the Gerson model.

Thats just my speed..

I believe that Gerson Barndoor did have some original pieces.
The rear torsion housing at least.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New production Split-Bus body seen at MAM Funfest this weekend Reply with quote

Hard to believe they still can't get the stamping right on these. The crease goes all the way to the bottom of the nose and, slightly less obvious, the radius at the bottom of the nose still flattens out before returning up the other side.

It makes me wonder how many other lines are off.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2605466

If this right-side front door is closed, then the fit is way off. Shame on you

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: