Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 553, 554, 555 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

andy52 wrote:

is that a cooler? or a little fridge?

It looks like a toilet with appropriate reading material beside it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

ahhahahaha true ahahahahahah
AceTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I finally got around to installing a resistor on my brake light circuit so that the cruise control would work with the LED stop lamps.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Made a custom TV hanger out of some bar stock.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EDIT:

Got to work this AM and as usual, sniffed my vents. Sniffed gasoline up my vents! Ugh, not again.. Mid Winter, every Winter... So, after a good nap on noon break, I popped the hatch, and took a look. I primed the fuel line for 1 second with the key, and took a good gander. Sure enough, 2 leaks. Not bad, but enough to smell. So, I got out my tools and tightened all of the fuel rail clamps, and the all 3 on the center T. Went back and turned the key on for 3 seconds 4 times and took another look. All good now. Whew!
TurtsMcSlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

New spark plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, battery(old one was 14 years old!), AFM harness from Van Cafe, and replaced the cig lighter receptacle with a dual USB socket.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Balmy 20F over lunch spurred me to get at my variable voltage regulator module and turn it down to a more sane (and recommended) 14.3V, and re-calibrate my DC-DC charger to put out 14.65V to my LiFePO4 house battery.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Dang Bobby, you do keep yourself busy, don't cha? Wink

All I've done recently is order myself a quality affordable fuel pre-filter...should be here Monday:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075XKFLXB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Open box deal, only $21... Very Happy ...although I'll spend another ten or so for the 1/2"
barb fittings I'll pick up once I have it in hand to determine spec on the threads...

I won't get to install until March or so...Move on winter, I'm done with you! Confused Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Pre Trip Inspection last PM revealed a splitting coolant hose at the top of the thermostat housing. Had to figure out how to loose the least coolant while cutting back the hose about 3cm to get past the spot. Looks like I must have gouged it with a screw driver that slipped off the clamp. That'll teach me to use a socket next time. Otherwise the hoses all are supple and in decent shape. After hooking it all back together, I filled up the pressure tank, and ran it till 'warm' and the fan cycled twice. Then I backed it up on a good incline and bleed the radiator. Temp needle seems to be in its usual ranges and they match my digital temp readout that has its probe sitting above/between #3 and #4 on the engine case, heater outputs all good, no more drip.

Leaving sometime tomorrow mid day for Denver. Looking like I can sneak under the weather if I arrive by 3 AM Thursday.. Lets cross fingers on that! Iowa has forecast of ~5 inches of snow after freezing drizzle forecast for Thursday! Around 2K miles round trip.

-bobby
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Dang Bobby, you do keep yourself busy, don't cha? Wink

All I've done recently is order myself a quality affordable fuel pre-filter...should be here Monday:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075XKFLXB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Open box deal, only $21... Very Happy ...although I'll spend another ten or so for the 1/2"
barb fittings I'll pick up once I have it in hand to determine spec on the threads...

I won't get to install until March or so...Move on winter, I'm done with you! Confused Wink

- Dave
. That looks like the prefilter from Mansispeed.
Same, or copy? Confused Confused Confused
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Now that you mention, it does seem pretty much identical... <shrug>

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
TurtsMcSlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed the Mansi injectors. Passenger side was a piece of cake but the drivers side was a pain to get old rail off.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally got around to replacing the coolant hose off the end of cyl.1 that feeds the heater cores. Went with the silicone version from Van Cafe.
I was pleasantly surprised to find no real corrosion hiding on the hose fitting once the old hose was off the head.... Very Happy
So, no epoxy tricks or rebuilding needed, just install the new hose and bled air from the system.
Still need to install 10cc’s Heater Valve kit, but the hose had been a more pressing matter... Cool
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
TurtsMcSlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Picked up 4 of these CLK/Toliman wheels. Gonna clean them up and figure out what to do with 'em.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

[quote] Gonna clean them up and figure out what to do with 'em.

You might consider powder coating to prevent future corrosion and inevitable dulling of finish. Savings in Mother's and elbow grease a side benefit...
A two-tone or color match scheme would set them apart from the crowd.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TurtsMcSlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

BCE56 wrote:

You might consider powder coating to prevent future corrosion and inevitable dulling of finish. Savings in Mother's and elbow grease a side benefit...

More than likely what I'll do. Cleaned all of the mud off of them with a little soap and water. Looks a lot better after a bath.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

randalieren wrote:

built in library. the perfect reader too.

BiWerks Design, LLC
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

TurtsMcSlow wrote:
BCE56 wrote:

More than likely what I'll do. Cleaned all of the mud off of them with a little soap and water. Looks a lot better after a bath.

Oven cleaner is the ticket for cleaning those suckers. Great find!
SteveW45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I removed the rear window wiper and discovered that it works when hot wired on the bench but not in the vehicle. Checked the fuses, all good. Gotta be switch on the column or a broken wire.
Any thoughts?
Other thing, the washer pump runs ( I can hear it) but no washer fluid comes out. Full reservoir.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

SteveW45 wrote:
I removed the rear window wiper and discovered that it works when hot wired on the bench but not in the vehicle. Checked the fuses, all good. Gotta be switch on the column or a broken wire.
Any thoughts?
Other thing, the washer pump runs ( I can hear it) but no washer fluid comes out. Full reservoir.

Check the wires and lines from the reservoir up through the hatch. The line and wires on mine had dry-rotted and cracked at the junction between the hatch and the body. Patched them up and it works now.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Put Vanagon in garage at 12:45 AM after a less than stellar trip back East from CO. Headwind on 76 was brutal, and 80 was not much better. Afterburner was pumping heat to add to the marginal engine heat, as temps kept dropping. Reached -7F by home. I had to put my Carhartts suit on, and Mrs. Black had to bundle up in all the winter camping bags in back. Full blast front and rear blowers, and CDH couldn't keep up. This AM was -17F, so I left the Westy in the garage.

Good to be home!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 553, 554, 555 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 554 of 629

Jump to: