Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oval shaped plate under the front hood of my 412 stationwagen
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
desi2960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Oval shaped plate under the front hood of my 412 stationwagen Reply with quote

To the right of the aluminum v.i.n. tag under the front hood of my 412 stationwagen there is a oval shape plate riveted on with a 7 digit number.
What do the numbers represent?
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Im asking, cause i dont know Reply with quote

Do you mean this? Mine actually has 9 digits. 1973 wagon for USA. I don’t know either but I am sure someone knows.

Bill
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Im asking, cause i dont know Reply with quote

Hello,

The answer is on another thread, but hidden away. It’s the 5 day and 37th week of 71 production.

BR,

Rob
desi2960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Im asking, cause i dont know Reply with quote

Where yours has the 71 crossway on the tag mine has an x4x4.
Also found out mine was made on the 3rd week 4th day.

Once again i thank thesamba and its members for the help.
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Oval shaped plate under the front hood of my 412 stationwagen Reply with quote

Found this on another site...intresting that the crossway no is the factory paint code.
My 73 412 has a 71 code, same as Pepperbillys above and both are Mayametallic.

/Lars S

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Abelclasico
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Oval shaped plate under the front hood of my 412 stationwagen Reply with quote

Is this any helpful https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/serialnumberst4.php?
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Oval shaped plate under the front hood of my 412 stationwagen Reply with quote

Hawker mentioned that the crossways 71 could be the prduction year. Had a hard time believing that because my 412 is a ‘73 model. Lars explanation of the paint code makes perfect sense... we both have Maya metallic cars.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Oval shaped plate under the front hood of my 412 stationwagen Reply with quote

Sorry Gents,

My bad! The two numbers at 90 degrees is the brochure paint code not the year. I must pay more attention when replying.

BR,

Rob

Last edited by Hawker on Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Oval shaped plate under the front hood of my 412 stationwagen Reply with quote

Still want to understand that crossways paint code number. Maya Gold metallic is paint code L98A as far as I know. Where does the 71 on my tag come from? Lars has the same color 412 as me and our numbers are the same. Must be some sort of factory production number?

Bill
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Oval shaped plate under the front hood of my 412 stationwagen Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Still want to understand that crossways paint code number. Maya Gold metallic is paint code L98A as far as I know. Where does the 71 on my tag come from? Lars has the same color 412 as me and our numbers are the same. Must be some sort of factory production number?

Bill

Think I found what you are looking for Bill (in fact I was wondering the same as you)
Lars S

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&...U2JsgymBHp
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Oval shaped plate under the front hood of my 412 stationwagen Reply with quote

In the factory production specification (which I happen to have for my 412 Very Happy ) one can at the very top read "FARBE (color) 717145" so the "71" which my car has as a crossway no on the small plate comes again in this paper.

The color on my car is Mayametallic which is color code L98A but I assume that code was never used at the factory; they used the number 71 instead.
All colors codes should have a matching internal factory no.

/Lars S

Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Oval shaped plate under the front hood of my 412 stationwagen Reply with quote

LarsS,

Wow! What great information you have supplied. That clears up this mystery. How the heck were you able to get that factory spec sheet? I have never seen one of those. Shocked

Thanks again,
Bill
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Oval shaped plate under the front hood of my 412 stationwagen Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
LarsS,

Wow! What great information you have supplied. That clears up this mystery. How the heck were you able to get that factory spec sheet? I have never seen one of those. Shocked

Thanks again,
Bill

Bill, it was very easy to get the spec, I just looked under the back seat of my 412 and there it was tucked between the seat springs Very Happy .
However I have never heard of anyone else having found it...

Just happy to share the info!

/Lars S
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oval shaped plate under the front hood of my 412 stationwagen Reply with quote

I have never had the back seat back out on mine. Its something I have been meaning to do and check for that document.

On the other hand.....I might have that,document anyway. I have vortually every document generated on my car back to the assembly line print out in a box.

I can also post the standard color and upholstery combinations list from the parts book. Ray
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval shaped plate under the front hood of my 412 stationwagen Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
I have never had the back seat back out on mine. Its something I have been meaning to do and check for that document.

..... Ray

I dont remember if I found it under the back seat or if it was on the back of the backrest of the backseat...it was properly tucked there as if this was a place where it should be left.

/Lars S
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval shaped plate under the front hood of my 412 stationwagen Reply with quote

Gents,

The factory specification sheets I have found on VW’s were always under the rear seat taped to the springs. Dot matrix print on continuous computer paper with perforated sheets. Memories indeed!

BR,

Rob
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Oval shaped plate under the front hood of my 412 stationwagen Reply with quote

Back when you found untouched original cars, I used to find stuff under the seat, too, either in the well, or more often tucked into the springs. Some were tags relating to the seats themselves, some were Hollerith punch cards with some part info on it, some were unknown inspection tags. Hard to find that stuff anymore!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: