Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire swap off rim by hand video.
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Tire swap off rim by hand video. Reply with quote

I've had a few tire shops tell me they can't fit my bus wheels on their tire machines. I used to mount tires for a living in my 20's, so maybe new machines can't fit our wheels? I'll try this instead.

Link

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Tire swap off rim by hand video. Reply with quote

Theres a adapter you can buy that fits the wide spoke wheels onto the mount/ balance jig. If you are traveling cross country , might not be a bad thing to carry so that you can get a tire swap in BFE.

That’s Creators hard work up mounting tires with tire irons, I would stick to easy things like teaching the 7th grade, the year of Hell.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tire swap off rim by hand video. Reply with quote

I bet he put some gouges in that shiny wheel with his screwdrivers, could be a little more careful, also if you pry the tire on from the backside of the wheel any damage will be on the inside.
Been buying my tires on line and mounting them by hand for years now, saves at least 20 bucks a wheel. The little 165's are not much harder than a motorcycle tire.
Great tip there for breaking the bead! I use a loader bucket and a bfh since the Kubota is always handy.
Last set I did were 165's on 4.5" wheels. The tires come really skinny and it was cold outside, I couldn't get the bead to seat even with a strap or 2 around the diameter to squish the tire out. No just pushing it on like he did with that old used tire. Any tips for airing up the tire- getting it to spread out to take the bead?
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tire swap off rim by hand video. Reply with quote

Use a 14" bicycle tube on the backside ( seat the valve stem side well) as a ring to take up the gap. lots of soapy water. Right when the tire seats , stop inflating and remove the bike tube. Nice to have a helper who just works the air hose. Tire spoons are better than screwdrivers and not that expensive. I also like bead sealer on older wheels. I've been DYI all my tires for years, as VW's generally don't go that fast I don't bother with a balance, although the HF balancer works OK.
insanitize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Tire swap off rim by hand video. Reply with quote

I use tyrepliers to brake the bead on my Jeeps off road tires, then a set of Harbor Freight tire spoon for the rest.

Tyrpliers video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bS3CLAcNyQ
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tire swap off rim by hand video. Reply with quote

Noice Manfred, thanks!
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Tire swap off rim by hand video. Reply with quote

For my first Bus in high school I managed to remove the old tires and get the new tires on the rim, but I could not get the bead to set. I even tried tying a rope around the circumference on the tire and twisting the rope tight. Didn't work. Fun times.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tire swap off rim by hand video. Reply with quote

insanitize wrote:
I use tyrepliers to brake the bead on my Jeeps off road tires, then a set of Harbor Freight tire spoon for the rest.

Tyrpliers video

Wow very nice.

Link

This guy used the Harbor Freight model, surprised it worked being it is HF. I'll never invest in one although I might consider it for my motorcycle. Cool to know it can be done at home without loads of equipment. I really like these concrete anchors this guy mentions for some of my other projects. Red Head Drop-in Anchor. I also like the info on the tire stem with notification chip as I've never seen one and too bad it broke off into the tire when his daughter was adding air.

Link

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire swap off rim by hand video. Reply with quote

When I lived on a dirt road that had lots of construction trucks dropping nails, I was fixing flats on my VWs about once a month. The Muir "Idiot" book method worked fine, which had you use the VW jack to press down the sidewall to free the bead. A couple of large demurred screwdrivers made good spoons. Inner tube patches on the inside stopped the leak, and I got this process down to about an hour start to finish, working outdoors on the dirt. I also used his ethic of wrapping a rope around the circumference in the center, which worked well enough for stock VW tips and rims. I imagine larger tires are more of a bear.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire swap off rim by hand video. Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I've had a few tire shops tell me they can't fit my bus wheels on their tire machines....

bullshit. unless they have and ancient Coats 3030 or 4070 center post machine any rim clamp on the planet will do those wheels.

balancing a wide 5.... totally different story and you will need an adapter for that.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire swap off rim by hand video. Reply with quote

I am glad I live in a big city where *every* shop I have asked is able to mount and balance wide-5s. I am just too old and weak to try to change a car tire. I dislike even doing bike tires at this stage of life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire swap off rim by hand video. Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:
I've had a few tire shops tell me they can't fit my bus wheels on their tire machines....

bullshit. unless they have and ancient Coats 3030 or 4070 center post machine any rim clamp on the planet will do those wheels.

balancing a wide 5.... totally different story and you will need an adapter for that.

I was wondering if the shop was talking about balance, not mounting. Any rim clamp machine can easily mount an old VW wheel. For older machines, or manual machines, or for a balancer adapter, take an old 5 lug beetle drum and cut the braking surface off. then cut out the center so it will fit the largest cone currently available. Then just bolt it into the wheel and go to the next step.

The video shows how it can be done, but that method should be saved for side-of-the-road, middle-of-nowhere repairs. It works, but it can be much better and easier. He would have a much more difficult time with stiff, low profile car tires, or truck rated bus tires. And he likely did some damage to those rims. Not always an issue, but if you can avoid it, why not?

An HF manual tire changer, with some very minor mods and a few well placed welds, will do just about any tire on a passenger car or small truck.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire swap off rim by hand video. Reply with quote

Here are a couple of shots of my adapter. It was cut on a lathe, so it is concentric and balanced.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For valve core tools, I keep one valve stem cap on each of my vehicles, bikes included, that have the core tool built into the cap. The real core tools I have came from years of buying old toolboxes and such at yard sales and pawn shops.

Also, stop buying tools at Wal Mart, as suggested in the video. Get decent tire tools at your local hardware store, or online. HF has some stuff that is OK, but Wal Mart tools are guaranteed to be shit.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire swap off rim by hand video. Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
insanitize wrote:

Tyrpliers video

Wow very nice.

Nice tool, and probably worth the price if you do a bunch of tires. But I plan to build one of these.

Link

Check out this guy's videos about shop tools and tire changer stuff. he not only has some interesting backyard mechanic ideas, his dog is great!
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire swap off rim by hand video. Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:
insanitize wrote:

Tyrpliers video

Wow very nice.

Nice tool, and probably worth the price if you do a bunch of tires. But I plan to build one of these.

Link

Check out this guy's videos about shop tools and tire changer stuff. he not only has some interesting backyard mechanic ideas, his dog is great!

Wow I like this I think I will build one myself. Back when I was a young man learning to be a mechanic I was sent out as a helper with a guy to change out tires at a remote site on a Terex 72-71 loader (like a cat 992) Big machine at that time, we found that after you got the lock ring off a half a wrap of prima-cord was all that was needed to get the outer rim to come loose so you could lift it off... I don't think this would work on those kind of tires but it's a lot safer.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire swap off rim by hand video. Reply with quote

I mount tires all the time, and you definitely need an adapter to mount a wide five rim. I use a wide 5 to 4 lug wheel adapter with bolts through four of the five holes. It doesn't need to balance or be exact, just close enough to hold the wheel in the center of the machine. Otherwise, the wheel will get bent by the machine. They are meant to center on something small and round, not five points wide out in space. I have to use the adapter for both the manual machine and the pneumatic machine.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire swap off rim by hand video. Reply with quote

I'll never forget ( years ago) on the Mexican game show " Levatello" , the prize was a toaster oven and mixer set- the challenge? Dismount , repair, and remount a flat tire ( bicycle pump only). Contestants came right out of the crowd ( unscripted ). About 15 people lined up, they took the first 3. Tools? tire spoons, bike pump, patch kit, bead breaking sledge hammer, soapy water in a spray bottle. The winner did it in like 15 minutes. wheels were average steel 14" or so car versions. My only tire shop closed due to covid so I'm back to doing it myself. If they ran that contest in the US I think they would be hard pressed to find one taker.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: