Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring Question - Wiper / Fan motor
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Wiring Question - Wiper / Fan motor Reply with quote

I just spent the last couple hours trying to figure out why my wiper blades aren't working. I looked at the schematic and understand the fan motor is on the same circuit.

- Fuse is good and getting power through it when the key is on.
- I pulled the plug off the back of the wiper arm on the steering column. I checked the pins for power none of them had power (not sure if they should or not but just telling you what I did.)
- I noticed that my "Fasten Seat Belt" light dimmed when I turned the fan switch on.

I'm stuck not knowing what else to test or look for.

Oh, this is a 1979 Super Beetle

Bob
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Question - Wiper / Fan motor Reply with quote

It sounds like you have a short in that circuit, your best bet is to PM ASHMAN40, he is the wiring/electric guy.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Question - Wiper / Fan motor Reply with quote

Thanks

Michael Ambrozik wrote:
It sounds like you have a short in that circuit, your best bet is to PM ASHMAN40, he is the wiring/electric guy.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Question - Wiper / Fan motor Reply with quote

Hi, saw your PM but thought it would be better to respond here.

Let's start with the wiring diagram...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And Speedy Jim's page/diagram for the column wiper switch:

http://speedyjim.net/schem/wiper.htm
Read Speedy Jim's page and you will understand how the wiper switch and the wiper motor works.

12v from the #10 fuse runs over a black/grey (it appears black/purple to me?) wire to both the wiper motor and the wiper switch. With the ignition switch in the ON/RUN position there should be 12v on this black/grey wire. Test the wire at the ignition switch plug as well as the #10 fuse. Note that the #10 fuse is powered by the "X" circuit from the ignition switch (black/yellow wire). This is a different circuit that the #15 (black wire) circuit from the ignition switch that powers many other devices when the key is ON. This means the ignition coil and radio may work while the wipers and blower don't because something is wrong with the black/yellow wire circuit.

You mentioned not having any voltage on the steering column plug. This suggests there is a disconnect between the ignition switch and the plug. Test fuse #10 (both sides) and if needed, work back to the black/yellow wire at the ignition switch plug to find where the disconnect is.
You may just need to clean up all your connections. This will help with the Brake Warning lamp dimming as well.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Question - Wiper / Fan motor Reply with quote

Thanks for responding. I have to admit that wiring is not my strongest suit.
I just came in from messing with the wiring again trying to follow a similar diagram. Here is what I was looking for:

From the fuse number 10 I have a black, white, and a black and yellow wire three wires I have power coming out of the #10 fuse. Black and yellow goes to a relay (pictured). At the wiper motor connector that plugs into the steering column the black and yellow wire does not have power. Does that power come from that connector itself, or the black and yellow wire on the middle connector when the wiper connector is plugged into switch? Either way, no power from any of the pins.

I took a couple pictures to help understand. The green, black/yellow, black/purple go to the wiper motor. If power should be coming from black/purple, it has no power. The brown/black, and black goes to that relay.

So is the power coming in to the switch through the other connector and transferred out through the connector in my hand (no power to yellow/black)?

Could it be a bad switch? Could the wiper relay be bad? If so, how does all this play into the fan motor that is not working?

Where does the black/purple wire get its power from? In the picture it is going out to the wiper motor.

ashman40 wrote:
Hi, saw your PM but thought it would be better to respond here.

Let's start with the wiring diagram...

And Speedy Jim's page/diagram for the column wiper switch:

http://speedyjim.net/schem/wiper.htm
Read Speedy Jim's page and you will understand how the wiper switch and the wiper motor works.

12v from the #10 fuse runs over a black/grey (it appears black/purple to me?) wire to both the wiper motor and the wiper switch. With the ignition switch in the ON/RUN position there should be 12v on this black/grey wire. Test the wire at the ignition switch plug as well as the #10 fuse. Note that the #10 fuse is powered by the "X" circuit from the ignition switch (black/yellow wire). This is a different circuit that the #15 (black wire) circuit from the ignition switch that powers many other devices when the key is ON. This means the ignition coil and radio may work while the wipers and blower don't because something is wrong with the black/yellow wire circuit.

You mentioned not having any voltage on the steering column plug. This suggests there is a disconnect between the ignition switch and the plug. Test fuse #10 (both sides) and if needed, work back to the black/yellow wire at the ignition switch plug to find where the disconnect is.
You may just need to clean up all your connections. This will help with the Brake Warning lamp dimming as well.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Question - Wiper / Fan motor Reply with quote

Your '79 bug has intermittent wipers via that relay. You need to get a wire diagram of the relay, switch and motor in order to trouble shoot your problem. Your also going to have to test that relay, they go bad. As far as the black plug in your hand, the 12v power is the black/ grey wire. The black/yellow wire is the fast speed, the green is for park and the other black wire is slow speed. The brown wire/black is for the intermittent function. With the key on you should have 12v on the black/grey wire at the plug in your hand. Good luck. If you need a relay, I have a few. The wiring diagram above does not show your intermittent option. You should test the wiper motor to see if it runs, they go bad too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Question - Wiper / Fan motor Reply with quote

I checked the relay (positive and negative pins) and it clicks. I did put the test light on the pins to the relay at the fuse panel. The only power I had was from #10 fuse to the relay. Also, should I have power to the black/grey wire when it is unplugged, as pictured? I have no power to that wire as pictured. Or even with plugged in I'm not getting power to the black/grey wire. Where does that power come from?

Also, does this relay affect the fan motor too? To test the wiper motor do I just put 12v to the black/yellow wire?

Thanks for your help.

Al Capulco wrote:
Your '79 bug has intermittent wipers via that relay. You need to get a wire diagram of the relay, switch and motor in order to trouble shoot your problem. Your also going to have to test that relay, they go bad. As far as the black plug in your hand, the 12v power is the black/ grey wire. The black/yellow wire is the fast speed, the green is for park and the other black wire is slow speed. The brown wire/black is for the intermittent function. With the key on you should have 12v on the black/grey wire at the plug in your hand. Good luck. If you need a relay, I have a few. The wiring diagram above does not show your intermittent option. You should test the wiper motor to see if it runs, they go bad too.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Question - Wiper / Fan motor Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
Here is what I was looking for:

From the fuse number 10 I have a black, white, and a black and yellow wire three wires I have power coming out of the #10 fuse. Black and yellow goes to a relay (pictured).

Look at the wiring diagram above. You will find fuse #10 (S10) in column 8.
On the INPUT side of fuse #10 (top in the diagram) there are two black/yellow (X) wires. One comes from the ignition switch and is the source of 12v power to the fuse and everything connected to the fuse. The second black/yellow wire passes this 12v power to the headlight switch where it will power the headlights. Neither of these wires runs to the wiper intermittent relay.

On the OUTPUT side of the fuse #10 (bottom in the diagram) you should have four wires:
    black - power to the blower switch (E9)
    white - power to the rear window defroster switch/relay (E15)
    black/grey (53a)(x2) - power to the wiper motor (V) and the wiper switch (E)

In some model years there was a single black/grey wire that later split into two wires. '79 SB should have had both black/grey wires starting from the fuse box. Where are your black/grey (53a) wires at the fuse box?

txasylum wrote:
At the wiper motor connector that plugs into the steering column the black and yellow wire does not have power. Does that power come from that connector itself, or the black and yellow wire on the middle connector when the wiper connector is plugged into switch? Either way, no power from any of the pins.

At the wiper switch plug, the source of power is the black/grey wire (53a) and sometimes the green (53e) wire. All other wires are OUPUTS from the wiper switch so will not have any power while the plug is disconnected. The black/yellow wire here is not the same as the black/yellow wire you saw at the fuse box. This black/yellow wire (53b) only runs between the wiper switch and the wiper motor and when powered causes the wiper motor to run at high speed.
The black #53 wire running between the wiper switch and the motor is the low speed wire.
The green (53e) wire is the parking power wire. It is powered by the black/grey (53b) wire that runs to the wiper motor. When the wiper motor is not parked the green (53e) wire is powered by 53b. This power is passed back to the wiper switch where it powers the 53 circuit until the motor is in the park position. When the motor reaches the park position the green 53e wire is grounded which grounds the 53 wire to the motor. This has the purpose of stopping the motor dead in its tracks and not allowing its momentum to carry the wiper arms past the park position.

txasylum wrote:

That is a pic of the intermittent wiper relay (111-955-531). I found this pic from another post of the wiper circuit with the relay included. It should be useful to you.

The author of the diagram (Dodgy) acknowledged there is one error in the pic... the 53e green wire should connect to the OFF position of the wiper switch and not the intermittent position of the 4-position switch. But other than that small error this is a good diagram.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring Question - Wiper / Fan motor Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your help, and everyone else's. Without you all many of us will be stuck in the woods... LOL

I have followed many diagrams over the last two days. The problem I was having was that I was not getting power to the switch (blk/gry wire). The diagrams refer to fuse 10, which was good and putting out power. I finally was able to find my way through the clump of wires in the dash and followed the black/grey wire and found it went to fuse 11, which was not making contact. Once I cleaned that one up the wipers worked.

However, the intermittent function is not working. I can turn them on slow/fast, but not intermittent. Not a big deal to me.

Also, my fan motor is still not working. I read the fan motor is in the same circuit. Is this true?

Thanks again.

ashman40 wrote:
txasylum wrote:
Here is what I was looking for:

From the fuse number 10 I have a black, white, and a black and yellow wire three wires I have power coming out of the #10 fuse. Black and yellow goes to a relay (pictured).

Look at the wiring diagram above. You will find fuse #10 (S10) in column 8.
On the INPUT side of fuse #10 (top in the diagram) there are two black/yellow (X) wires. One comes from the ignition switch and is the source of 12v power to the fuse and everything connected to the fuse. The second black/yellow wire passes this 12v power to the headlight switch where it will power the headlights. Neither of these wires runs to the wiper intermittent relay.

On the OUTPUT side of the fuse #10 (bottom in the diagram) you should have four wires:
    black - power to the blower switch (E9)
    white - power to the rear window defroster switch/relay (E15)
    black/grey (53a)(x2) - power to the wiper motor (V) and the wiper switch (E)

In some model years there was a single black/grey wire that later split into two wires. '79 SB should have had both black/grey wires starting from the fuse box. Where are your black/grey (53a) wires at the fuse box?

txasylum wrote:
At the wiper motor connector that plugs into the steering column the black and yellow wire does not have power. Does that power come from that connector itself, or the black and yellow wire on the middle connector when the wiper connector is plugged into switch? Either way, no power from any of the pins.

At the wiper switch plug, the source of power is the black/grey wire (53a) and sometimes the green (53e) wire. All other wires are OUPUTS from the wiper switch so will not have any power while the plug is disconnected. The black/yellow wire here is not the same as the black/yellow wire you saw at the fuse box. This black/yellow wire (53b) only runs between the wiper switch and the wiper motor and when powered causes the wiper motor to run at high speed.
The black #53 wire running between the wiper switch and the motor is the low speed wire.
The green (53e) wire is the parking power wire. It is powered by the black/grey (53b) wire that runs to the wiper motor. When the wiper motor is not parked the green (53e) wire is powered by 53b. This power is passed back to the wiper switch where it powers the 53 circuit until the motor is in the park position. When the motor reaches the park position the green 53e wire is grounded which grounds the 53 wire to the motor. This has the purpose of stopping the motor dead in its tracks and not allowing its momentum to carry the wiper arms past the park position.

txasylum wrote:

That is a pic of the intermittent wiper relay (111-955-531). I found this pic from another post of the wiper circuit with the relay included. It should be useful to you.

The author of the diagram (Dodgy) acknowledged there is one error in the pic... the 53e green wire should connect to the OFF position of the wiper switch and not the intermittent position of the 4-position switch. But other than that small error this is a good diagram.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Question - Wiper / Fan motor Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
I have followed many diagrams over the last two days. The problem I was having was that I was not getting power to the switch (blk/gry wire). The diagrams refer to fuse 10, which was good and putting out power. I finally was able to find my way through the clump of wires in the dash and followed the black/grey wire and found it went to fuse 11, which was not making contact. Once I cleaned that one up the wipers worked.

Great! So you found your black/grey 53a wires and cleaned up the end so now it has 12v running to the wiper switch/motor. Big question... did you move the black/grey wire from fuse #11 back to fuse #10 where it belongs?

txasylum wrote:
Also, my fan motor is still not working. I read the fan motor is in the same circuit. Is this true?

The fan motor and the wipers are powered from fuse #10 in the original wiring diagram. You pointed out that your wipers were connected to fuse #11. Whether the fan and wipers are powered by the same fuse depends on whether you moved the black/grey wires back to fuse #10 where they belong? Above, you haven't confirmed which fuse powers your wipers now. Only you can answer your own question.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Question - Wiper / Fan motor Reply with quote

No, I didn't move the black/grey wire back to 10. I left it on 11. If I recall I don't think I have any free openings on 10 to put that wire on. Currently what is on 10 is a black wire, white wire (no clue for what), and another wire that goes to the wiper relay. I don't recall the color, maybe red.

Also, my intermittent wiper is not working. I am confused from other readings on how to test it. I'm guessing the relay is bad if the intermittent wiper is not working, but low and high speed is.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

ashman40 wrote:
txasylum wrote:

Great! So you found your black/grey 53a wires and cleaned up the end so now it has 12v running to the wiper switch/motor. Big question... did you move the black/grey wire from fuse #11 back to fuse #10 where it belongs?

txasylum wrote:

The fan motor and the wipers are powered from fuse #10 in the original wiring diagram. You pointed out that your wipers were connected to fuse #11. Whether the fan and wipers are powered by the same fuse depends on whether you moved the black/grey wires back to fuse #10 where they belong? Above, you haven't confirmed which fuse powers your wipers now. Only you can answer your own question.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring Question - Wiper / Fan motor Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
No, I didn't move the black/grey wire back to 10. I left it on 11. If I recall I don't think I have any free openings on 10 to put that wire on. Currently what is on 10 is a black wire, white wire (no clue for what), and another wire that goes to the wiper relay. I don't recall the color, maybe red.

Move the black/grey wires back to fuse #10. Fuse #11 was not meant to carry the load of the wipers along with what ever else is connected there.

If you have an Autozone near you find this pack of piggyback connectors:
https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneous-non-automot...600429_0_0
This is a pack of 10. Trust me, you will need more than one if you ever do any wiring work in the future. You remove one of the wires from fuse #10 OUTPUT. You then connect two wires to this connector and slide the connector onto the single fuse box terminal. Two wires where you used to have one. Clean the wires and the terminal while you are there.

txasylum wrote:
Also, my intermittent wiper is not working. I am confused from other readings on how to test it. I'm guessing the relay is bad if the intermittent wiper is not working, but low and high speed is.

Not sure I can suggest anything more than making sure your wires are connected as shown in the above diagram.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: