Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

General Grabber ATX 27x8.50R14 WHEELS?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heavymetaqueen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: General Grabber ATX 27x8.50R14 WHEELS? Reply with quote

Hey all thanks to anyone who helped on my last tire posts! I decided not to cheap out and go with the GG ATX's in 27x 8.5 R14 because of what I read in the master tire thread. Surprise surprise I'm confused again and need help choosing rims for these big ass tires. I would love if anyone with these tires share what size + brand wheels they have! Thank you friends, hope to get on the road soon
zimflux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX 27x8.50R14 WHEELS? Reply with quote

The factory 14" steel wheels will work just fine. Hense choosing a 27x 8.5 R14 size tire. This is why this tire is chosen. Is there a reason you need to choose a wheel?

It would be helpful for you to state precisely what you are confused about so that we can assist.

As it sounds like you've discovered, there are countless threads on 14",15" and 16" options and how folks got there.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX 27x8.50R14 WHEELS? Reply with quote

Stock alloys or steels. If you are picking new wheels up, then go to 15/16/17 inch wheels.
heavymetaqueen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX 27x8.50R14 WHEELS? Reply with quote

zimflux wrote:
The factory 14" steel wheels will work just fine. Hense choosing a 27x 8.5 R14 size tire. This is why this tire is chosen. Is there a reason you need to choose a wheel?

It would be helpful for you to state precisely what you are confused about so that we can assist.

As it sounds like you've discovered, there are countless threads on 14",15" and 16" options and how folks got there.

My current tires are about 10 years old (just bought the van last August and it was in the shop for 4 months) and I assume I'd need new wheels in addition to tires

Edit: I'm only confused because the tire shop I called told me they couldn't help me with wheel size because the Vanagon is so old that they don't have the wheel bolts (and whatever else) on hand to verify correct size.
zimflux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX 27x8.50R14 WHEELS? Reply with quote

heavymetaqueen wrote:
zimflux wrote:

My current tires are about 10 years old (just bought the van last August and it was in the shop for 4 months) and I assume I'd need new wheels in addition to tires

Edit: I'm only confused because the tire shop I called told me they couldn't help me with wheel size because the Vanagon is so old that they don't have the wheel bolts (and whatever else) on hand to verify correct size.

Why is the shop mentioning they don't have the wheel bolts? Are you missing them? Otherwise, I don't follow the issue. If the wheels were on the van when you brought it in (assuming you drove it), then why wouldn't they use the ones that came installed.

Unless your wheels are damaged and beyond the ability to be balanced, I'm sure they are just fine and there is no reason to change them if you are sticking with 14" size tires. Just like replacing any other car tire.

Any tire shop can easily mount and balance our wheel/tires. There is nothing special here. Yes, 10 years old tires=replace.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX 27x8.50R14 WHEELS? Reply with quote

The tire shop might be saying that they can’t install a tire size that was not original equipment size. The lug bolt front and the lug nut rear use a 19mm socket, but a 3/4” socket also fits. Maybe a miscommunication?
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX 27x8.50R14 WHEELS? Reply with quote

heavymetaqueen wrote:
I assume I'd need new wheels in addition to tires.

There's no reason to assume that unless;
- your wheels are damaged (are they?)

- you can't find appropriate tires to fit your stock 14" wheels (but you did find them)

- you want to go with a bigger wheel (but then you wouldn't be looking at 14" tires)
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX 27x8.50R14 WHEELS? Reply with quote

I hope you'll be happy with the Grabbers. I am. Got them in summer of 2019, and have about 25K miles on them. I've been pleased with them on the stock rims.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zimflux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX 27x8.50R14 WHEELS? Reply with quote

Everyone's mentioning all good points....

I will say this. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification from whoever you're speaking with over there. Don't worry about what they think or don't think or if you feel intimidated or not. Tell them you don't know anything about wheels and tires and if they take the time to share the information with you, you'll feel better that your van is in the right hands. Not only will you learn something but if you want to further clarify to us, we can certainly help you with more information.

Of course you can also ask for recommendations here, vanagon facebook groups and vanalert.

🤘
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX 27x8.50R14 WHEELS? Reply with quote

to the OP...

I am confused...

You ordered G.Grabber 27x8.5R14, you drove the van to the shop, they change the tires and then say the bolts didn't fit...

what kind of shop is this? the only difference is the tires... what wrong with the bolts?

btw if you decide to have different rims... 15" pr 16" are better choice.. and then you may (or may not) need a new set of bolts.

Last edited by 0to60in6min on Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX 27x8.50R14 WHEELS? Reply with quote

I see there is some confusion here in replies

the OP covered the need for tires in her other posts earlier last month with pics

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search_id=usertopics&user=496191

the tires will fit the rims, the tires will fit the vehicle
and many vanagon owners on here use those tires on their vans.
but the tire shop may have a policy to not install or mount tires that deviate from the manufacturer decal on the drivers door jamb.

as for wheel hardware I suggest giving T3technique http://t3technique.com/ a look. Chris will answer questions if you have any. excellent customer service for an excellent VW business.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX 27x8.50R14 WHEELS? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
The tire shop might be saying that they can’t install a tire size that was not original equipment size. The lug bolt front and the lug nut rear use a 19mm socket, but a 3/4” socket also fits. Maybe a miscommunication?

Yep. That is, unfortunately, quite common.

Heavymeta, if you find a smaller tire shop and you come there with the tires in the back of your van and ask for them to install them, you shouldn't have a problem. Bigger chains like Costco, Walmart, have policies about stock size tires and they give you the run around. 27x8.5 is a larger tire (the outer diameter) than stock, even though it uses the same stock wheel.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX 27x8.50R14 WHEELS? Reply with quote

The specified rim width for a 27x8.5R14 tire is usually given as 6-7.5" but they work well on a 5.5' wide rim. The lug bolts and nuts need to match the rims, so assuming you still have the stock rims for your rig, the stock lug bolts and nuts should fit fine.

A far as load capacity, the 27x8.5R14s exceed the axle load rating and have a higher load capacity than the 205/70R14 reinforced passenger tires many Vanagons came with.

I have 27x8.5R14's on both my '77 Bay and 83 1/2 Vanagon, both with 5.5" wide steel wheels and am happy with them on both.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX 27x8.50R14 WHEELS? Reply with quote

I have stock 14" steel wheels.
I had Discount Tire order the Grabbers. They installed them, no problem.
I like them.
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
swissarmychainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: General Grabber ATX 27x8.50R14 WHEELS? Reply with quote

I JUST went through this. The tire shop "BIG o" could not even find the 27x8.5R14 tires. I had to look up the General part number for them.

"General 4508120000 GRABBER A/TX All-Terrain Radial Tire - 27X8.5R14 95Q"

They the made a fuss about weight rating, and I finally convince the guy that these are C rated and good for the van.

The dudes working at places like this are not always experts, and it sometimes takes a little coaxing to get what you need.

Also note:
All the Vanagon wheels I have seen use different lug nuts.
GoWesty and T3 Techniques (and others) sell the lugs you'll need if you don't have them.
I suspect you DO have them unless your van is running around without wheels on it.

The reason the shop might think you need wheels is because they can't FIND the 14" ones you are asking for, see my first point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: