Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Missing wiring connector block
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Missing wiring connector block Reply with quote

Working on my turn signals then on to the brake switch wiring I see this connector block shown in the wiring diagram (see pic) for my 56 beetle. I cannot seem to locate it. Is this block only on Euro cars or am I just blind and cant see it??
Thanks
Bruce Ebling

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing wiring connector block Reply with quote

If you are facing the fuel tank, it would be on the right hand side next to the tank.
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing wiring connector block Reply with quote

It's under the hood near the main fuse box on the driver's side. Follow the black and red wire from the fuse box.
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Missing wiring connector block Reply with quote

Does anyone have a picture?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Missing wiring connector block Reply with quote

The wiring diagram you have is for a European model with semaphores. A US model would be different.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Missing wiring connector block Reply with quote

Look again at the wiring diagram in the original post. I think that is for a USA wiring version (it has the "bullet" front fender blinkers at the top)... I think the OP is needing to locate on his harness a simple wiring connector (screw-terminal type) that attaches two wires together. Looks like the illustration is showing two of them side-by-side. Those initially came in long blocks of like ten of them all attached together, and you cut off however many you need for the chore: one, two, three, etc. I think WW sells them still.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Missing wiring connector block Reply with quote

Not the best photo, but it was already in one of my car photo files. This is of the area up in the front trunk near the speedometer. This is on my USA spec June of 1955 Sunroof (with "bullets"). See at the bottom of the photo the five round plastic "holes" all in a line? That is the top half of a row of five of those wire connectors that I described above, and you can maybe see among the other wires the black wire with a red stripe entering the second connector from the left in the photo. I suspect these are the connectors and the location you (the OP) are looking for?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing wiring connector block Reply with quote

^^ I think that is the connector block T5 which is just below the indicator switch in the diagram, judging by the number of connections and colours. meefer's looking for T2...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing wiring connector block Reply with quote

"finster", you are right, now I see it!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing wiring connector block Reply with quote

Here is a photo of a new WW wiring diagram that came with my new harness. It does not show the T2 connector block and my car does not have the block. That brings me back to my original query; which is correct? I don't recall seeing the T2 block on my euro 59. Has anyone located this block and which wiring diagram is correct?
Attached is the Wolfsburg

3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing wiring connector block Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Look again at the wiring diagram in the original post. I think that is for a USA wiring version (it has the "bullet" front fender blinkers at the top)... I think the OP is needing to locate on his harness a simple wiring connector (screw-terminal type) that attaches two wires together. Looks like the illustration is showing two of them side-by-side. Those initially came in long blocks of like ten of them all attached together, and you cut off however many you need for the chore: one, two, three, etc. I think WW sells them still.

Bill

The wiring diagram meefermadness posted first appears to be the top portion of the diagram from the technical section on this site. That diagram appears to cover both semaphore and bullet cars with one diagram. I think the poster's car may in fact not have that connector.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_56.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_56_key.jpg
The T2 connector designation appears to be blue which the diagram key indicates would be for standard and deluxe cars which would have semaphores rather than bullets like the exports. The T5 connector designation(like the 5 wire one in your photo above) appears to be red which would be for some export models like US requiring flashing turn signals. Very confusing to say the least. I would think the wiring would be similar to your 55 bullet car.
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing wiring connector block Reply with quote

BulliBill: Finally we get to the bottom of the mystery!! I had no idea that the connector was labeled in blue (its hard to tell) and that meant the diagram was meant for semaphore cars. That all makes so much sense now and I can wire away with confidence.
Thanks to all for helping out with this! I have been into VW's for over 50 years and it shows that you can still teach an old dog new tricks!!
Bruce Ebling
JPB1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing wiring connector block Reply with quote

This is what you looking for?
The is from a 1953 Oval, I am about to actually re-wire her, as the original harness was causing too much resistance for things to function correctly on a daily driver.

[Even after extensive, wire end trimming, soldering, terminal cleaning, was still not happy with the electrical function, measuring harness resistance, indicated that the harness had some internal problems, aging? - so harness from http://www.vwlooms.com]

This shows both T1 and T2 together in a single block - not sure if that is original

Do a few other electrical up grades

Safety first
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing wiring connector block Reply with quote

This maybe what you want. It is a 2 fuse block. On the left hand side.

Up a little closer.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Missing wiring connector block Reply with quote

^^ that's the headlight fuse box. the op was looking for the brake light wiring connector.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Missing wiring connector block Reply with quote

finster wrote:
^^ that's the headlight fuse box. the op was looking for the brake light wiring connector.

Sorry, misread the circle at the top. Let’s see if I can find that connector.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: