Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to mount front plate ?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaiscossie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject: How to mount front plate ? Reply with quote

Hi, I have just fitted new stainless steel bumpers for my beetle. The bumper didn't come drilled for number plates and don't want to drill it really. Is there a way to fit the plate under the bumper without drilling it? Thanks.
turboj74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: How to mount front plate ? Reply with quote

You can pick up two rubber coated clamps that wrap around the round tube. The holes in the clamp will line up with the holes in the top of your license plate. WW sells the clamps or you can find them at most hardware stores.

Here's a pic of my 62 that shows how to mount them.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: How to mount front plate ? Reply with quote

if you point the ends of those clamps UP ; then put the plate on ; they aren't so obvious .
no ; not with the plate sticking up Rolling Eyes

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Jaiscossie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: How to mount front plate ? Reply with quote

Sorry I should have said I just have the blade bumpers with overriders
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: How to mount front plate ? Reply with quote

maby make a backing plate the same size as the licence plate and sandwich the blade between the two pieces ;
rubber protection ALWAYS Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
fly2kads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: How to mount front plate ? Reply with quote

Jaiscossie wrote:
Sorry I should have said I just have the blade bumpers with overriders

Now you're confusing us. Wink Did you mean without overriders? If that's the case, Vintage Speed makes brackets for that case:

http://www.vintagespeed.com.tw/Accessory/FRONT-LICENSE-PLATE-BRACKET.html

I think there may be others available, too, but this one looks pretty slick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jaiscossie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How to mount front plate ? Reply with quote

I have new blade bumpers with the overriders fitted, not the other towel rail part though if that makes sense
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to mount front plate ? Reply with quote

You have bumperettes. Do you have the factory reinforcement rail under the blade? If so- drill into it and make brackets. If you don't have one- get one.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Joe Bence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How to mount front plate ? Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=706844

www.facebook.com/JoeBenceEnterprises
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How to mount front plate ? Reply with quote

Now THAT is nice Joe.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Jaiscossie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How to mount front plate ? Reply with quote

Thanks guys I have just ordered the vintage speed ones Very Happy
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How to mount front plate ? Reply with quote

https://www.zoro.com/ruland-manufacturing-shaft-co...ifications

These are also very clean looking polished up, with a longer screw to accommodate plate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61karmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How to mount front plate ? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: