Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Here's the simple way I'm planning on hooking up my 280Ah battery when it arrives:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

Plus $150 shipping, so it's really $500 per cell and you need 4. So $2000 for 310ah for a 12v system.

$500 shipped for 1 pack. 1 pack = 4 cells.

310ah 12v pack for $500 shipped.

Also, for what it's worth, here is a 300aH setup with heating mats built in for $2918

https://www.lifebluebattery.com/rv-boat-low-temper...ature.html

Last edited by shagginwagon83 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Thanks!

So... after the smaller battery charges up, the two batteries will "equalize" - is that correct?

I am planning on adding a second, 50AH BattleBorn to my existing 100AH BattleBorn. No issues with the two BMSs being connected together?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:
Thanks!

So... after the smaller battery charges up, the two batteries will "equalize" - is that correct?

The smaller battery will just 'mark time' while the bigger one continues to charge more rapidly. Eventually they'll both be fully charged.

Quote:

I am planning on adding a second, 50AH BattleBorn to my existing 100AH BattleBorn. No issues with the two BMSs being connected together?

Only the negative side of the BMSs will be connected via the chassis. Irrelevant.

However the bigger issue is what happens when the smaller battery becomes discharged before the bigger one. If it was all by itself, the voltage would fall and its BMS would disconnect it. However, you're considering connecting it across a bigger battery, which will try to 'hold up' the voltage. The bigger battery would now be charging the smaller one as well as providing the load current. Eventually the bigger battery's voltage will fall and they'll both turn off.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Wow, $500 for 310ah...that is insane...that has to be the infinite battery...

I was also confused by that ad...a lot of those alibaba ads can be confusing - with contradicotry info. I've found - if you reach out to the company (ie via email) they get back pretty quick with decent/clear answers.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:
Thanks!

Why not add another 100 Ah Battleborn? (I have a 100 Ah BB now and considering this down the road, so curious about your decision).
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Vanuber wrote:
Why not add another 100 Ah Battleborn?

My 100AH BB is under the back seat and I would pretty much have to take my setup apart and start over if I added another 100AH. The 50AH will fit into my setup with minimal fuss...
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Despite all the reasons for not laying prismatic LiFePo4 cells on their side, the Battleborn is made up of many round cells and can operate with no power or longevity issues laying on its side. Is it possible to lay 2 100Ah BB's on their side in your existing space? The two batteries would then be 13.75" high, stacked on their sides.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
Is it possible to lay 2 100Ah BB's on their side in your existing space? The two batteries would then be 13.75" high, stacked on their sides.

Duh, I forgot that the BBs could be stacked. Thank you for reminding me!

I just had a look and I've got everything sitting on a 5/8" piece of plywood, bolted to the floor so I think I'd have the height if I removed the plywood.

It would mean that I wouldn't have to move anything else - just run extra cables.

WestyWayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Hi - I am hoping for some advice on which of 2 roads to travel down for further planning and research regarding a battery that will fit under the driver's seat (GoWesty's LiFePo4 50Ah or deep cycle). Please forgive me for very beginner understanding.

I am going to be upgrading from the original Dometic to the TF49 Truckfridge soon. (the wife is against the lower drawing ARB fridge/freezer option b/c of space limitations) I also run a few LED lights, sink pump, and occasionally a fan and the car stereo off the aux battery. I am leaning towards keeping it simple and just sticking with a deep cycle aux battery under the driver's seat, and accept that I am limited to using the fridge to only when I have shore power hook-ups. We rarely do more than 1 day/night without hookups.

But, if the LiFePo4 50Ah under the driver's seat would provide a significant upgrade in capacity such that I might camp 1 day/night with the fridge on battery that would be significant. The factory specs on the TF49 say 2.0A p/h draw. And, maybe if the eventual addition of a 110W foldable solar panel from GoWesty could expand that capacity down the road?

Any advice for a newb at an early stage of aux battery upgrade planning is appreciated.

83 Westy air-cooled
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

WestyWayne wrote:
Hi - I am hoping for some advice on which of 2 roads to travel down for further planning and research regarding a battery that will fit under the driver's seat (GoWesty's LiFePo4 50Ah or deep cycle). Please forgive me for very beginner understanding.

I am going to be upgrading from the original Dometic to the TF49 Truckfridge soon. (the wife is against the lower drawing ARB fridge/freezer option b/c of space limitations) I also run a few LED lights, sink pump, and occasionally a fan and the car stereo off the aux battery. I am leaning towards keeping it simple and just sticking with a deep cycle aux battery under the driver's seat, and accept that I am limited to using the fridge to only when I have shore power hook-ups. We rarely do more than 1 day/night without hookups.

But, if the LiFePo4 50Ah under the driver's seat would provide a significant upgrade in capacity such that I might camp 1 day/night with the fridge on battery that would be significant. The factory specs on the TF49 say 2.0A p/h draw. And, maybe if the eventual addition of a 110W foldable solar panel from GoWesty could expand that capacity down the road?

Any advice for a newb at an early stage of aux battery upgrade planning is appreciated.

83 Westy air-cooled

If you are only doing one night or two you can easily power the TF49 and lights for one day or two using a lead acid deep cycle battery without going into the expense of a LiFePO4 if you want.

Here is some reading.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

WestyWayne wrote:

83 Westy air-cooled

This is pretty much my setup - I have a GW LiFePo4 50Ah battery under the driver seat, a TF49 fridge, and a 100w solar panel permanently mounted (and some LED lights too), all tied together with a Redarc BCDC1225D DC-DC charger.

My usage pattern is that I stay 1 or 2 days at the same place before driving to the next one; between the solar panel, Li battery and DC-DC charger I never run out of power. I completed my install last year, before that, I had killed several regular batteries that were discharged way too low.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Dual BattleBorn 100AH batteries in my van. They fit perfectly under the bench seat, stacked like this.

kourt
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Anything thing different about those BB 100AH other than the shape?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

The BB 100AH batteries pictured are the same ones sold here--the standard shape. They are simply set on the short side. I hope this helps.

kourt
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

kourt, very nice setup! Is that a Propex/heater outlet what shows to the left of the batteries? If so, where is the heater located relative to the batteries?

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Yes, that is a Propex heater outlet. The heater itself is the HS2211, which is designed to be mounted outside/underneath the vehicle. All the noise, combustion risk, and space consumption are moved to the underside of the van. It only requires two holes (one for cold cabin air, another for warmed cabin air) to be drilled through the floor.

The smaller hoses for combustion input air and combustion exhaust remain completely outside the van (pictured below).

This has been an excellent heater. We were down to 8 degrees this week in Austin, with no power. I used the Propex to heat up the van for shelter use, and to heat up the cabin to overcome the 25 degree Battleborn BMS minimum charge temperature requirement. The cabin was around 50 degrees within one hour, and the solar panels were then able to charge the lithium battery bank.

kourt

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
We were down to 8 degrees this week in Austin, with no power. I used the Propex to heat up the van for shelter use, and to heat up the cabin to overcome the 25 degree Battleborn BMS minimum charge temperature requirement. The cabin was around 50 degrees within one hour, and the solar panels were then able to charge the lithium battery bank.

Very glad to hear you had some shelter space! Scary stories coming from Texas right now. Sad
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

We were without power for about 50 hours.

My house has 5kw of solar panels on the roof, but they had 6" of snow on them.

To get the gas furnace blower/igniter in the house to run (and heat the main house, where interior temps were down to about 37 degrees) I built a 120v romex extension out the to van, turned on the van's inverter (connected to the two Battleborn batteries pictured earlier) and ran the house gas furnace blower/igniter from the van.

That bought me some time and comfort to get the house solar panels mostly uncovered and thawed. Once the 5kw house solar came online, I took the same 120v romex extension and connected it to the household inverter's emergency power circuit (which only runs when the sun shines).

At that point the van became the laptop/phone charging station.

I really got my money's worth from the LiFePO4 batteries this week. The big takeaway is that you need to be able to heat the batteries to overcome the BMS restrictions in order to recharge them.

(Note: I could not just start the engine and charge from the alternator this week, because I have the power steering system open for repairs. I couldn't complete that work before the weather went bad.)

kourt

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread Reply with quote

You could have taken off the ps belt.

Awesome that the van worked as a little power bank/generator.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 45

Jump to: