Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor drive shaft shim question (need help)
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kratos707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Distributor drive shaft shim question (need help) Reply with quote

I am rebuilding my '62 engine (1385) and I am fitting all the parts which includes checking my distributor drive shaft play. I have read that I should have at least .020" play with the shims (two of them) in place. It looks pretty easy to do and I was thinking it will be a no brainer since I was not planning on messing with the shims since the engine seemed like it didn't have any issues.

So the problem that I ran into was that there was only one shim that thickness measures around 0.046" and if put in two shims at 0.026" each I will have no gap. With the current single shim there is a very small gap but at least there is a gap!

I could use some help because I have not encountered this before and was wondering if you all have seen this and what did you do to fix it. Oh i am running a bosch 010 distributor.

thanks for the help!
kratos707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive shaft shim question (need help) Reply with quote

I figured it out.

I knew something was not right because I haven't seen anything like this and my searching didn't find anything.

I removed dist. drive shaft and fit it to the end of the distributor and the issue was illuminated. The end of the distributor did not fit into the end of the dist. drive shaft! The distributor end had one end mushroomed which prevented full engagement. Once the burr was removed, there is more than enough end play!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: