Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seal Ring: Heat Exchanger to Muffler
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ia02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Seal Ring: Heat Exchanger to Muffler Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can get the seal ring that seals the threaded connection between the stock heat exchangers and muffler? The seal sits inside the female threads of the heat exchanger and the muffler flange buts up against the seal.

Thanks in advance...
MOCHABILL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Seal Ring: Heat Exchanger to Muffler Reply with quote

ia02 wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get the seal ring that seals the threaded connection between the stock heat exchangers and muffler? The seal sits inside the female threads of the heat exchanger and the muffler flange buts up against the seal.

Thanks in advance...

Russ Wolfe[RIP] recommended using the copper thermalcouple tubing,used in hot water heaters.

Regards.

'07 Passat wagon 2.0

'03 Ranger 4door 4.0
ia02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Seal Ring: Heat Exchanger to Muffler Reply with quote

[quote="MOCHABILL"]
ia02 wrote:
Russ Wolfe[RIP] recommended using the copper thermalcouple tubing,used in hot water heaters.

Did he prescribe cutting a length forming into a ring and just laying it inside the opening? Or should the ends be joined in some way? Any info is greatly appreciated
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Seal Ring: Heat Exchanger to Muffler Reply with quote

[quote="ia02"]
MOCHABILL wrote:
ia02 wrote:

Did he prescribe cutting a length forming into a ring and just laying it inside the opening? Or should the ends be joined in some way? Any info is greatly appreciated

If I remember right, he suggested angle cutting the ends, so that they overlapped in a smooth fashion (formed a complete circle).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ia02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it like the seals are included in this kit?

http://www.vwispwest.com/341298003.html?page=1
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ia02 wrote:
does it like the seals are included in this kit?

http://www.vwispwest.com/341298003.html?page=1

It certainly looks like it. I'd give them a call to find out before ordering though.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Seal Ring: Heat Exchanger to Muffler Reply with quote

I'm looking for these now too. Wish I'd saved that bad thermocouple I changed out last fall. I tried some single port intake copper rings but they didn't seem to take up enough space and I'm thinking the thermocouple tubing isn't much bigger. I remember an aluminum ring falling out of one of these years ago, way bigger than the rings mentioned above.
Anyone have a pic or description of the original sealing ring?
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Seal Ring: Heat Exchanger to Muffler Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
I'm looking for these now too. Wish I'd saved that bad thermocouple I changed out last fall. I tried some single port intake copper rings but they didn't seem to take up enough space and I'm thinking the thermocouple tubing isn't much bigger. I remember an aluminum ring falling out of one of these years ago, way bigger than the rings mentioned above.
Anyone have a pic or description of the original sealing ring?

https://vwispwest.com/gasket-exhaust-to-exchanger-n138361/?p=YzE9MTMx
https://www.mcmaster.com/97725A590/
https://www.belmetric.com/hollow-crush-gaskets-c-1...-9208.html

Last edited by ataraxia on Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Seal Ring: Heat Exchanger to Muffler Reply with quote

I took some measurements of some I have

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-Lucas
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Seal Ring: Heat Exchanger to Muffler Reply with quote

You do need that ring installed, when mine went back together I also used some exhaust liquid sealant to make certain it sealed.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Seal Ring: Heat Exchanger to Muffler Reply with quote

Thank you Eastern Notch for the best reply to a technical question I have ever received!!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Seal Ring: Heat Exchanger to Muffler Reply with quote

I always clean those super-fine threads and use anti-seize on them, to make it more likely (though not certain) they will come part later if needed.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Seal Ring: Heat Exchanger to Muffler Reply with quote

So I ended up using a 40hp cylinder sealing ring from the pile of leftover gasgets, cut at a 45° and fit to the heat riser. The ring is a good beefy size, bigger than the intake sealing rings I tried and the soft copper fits together nicely when cut with wire cutters. Threads clean and wiped with antisieze, big nuts tightened with channellock pliers, nos mufler. Good to go Very Happy
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Seal Ring: Heat Exchanger to Muffler Reply with quote

Retighten those big nuts after about 500 miles or so. They can loosen with heat/cool cycles, and the escaping gasses corrode those fine threads. No need to put a death grip on it, just snug it well after it sets in over those miles. Check it again at the next valve adjustment.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: